" The Times They Are A Changing"

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Exactly! They have no plans to compete with UPS in terms of pay and benefits. Clearly they like the Amazon model and will continue to move that direction. Bank on it!
Incorporating that “Amazon model” into Express with contractors is not going to be as easy as they think it’ll be. It’s still a big dream of theirs.

Questions Needed Answered

You pack your tent and go home at the first gust of wind. In 25 total posts, maybe a couple to @59 Dano, he dispatches you. Pretty weak, just my opinion.
Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with what a pyrrhic victory is. I gain nothing from a "conversation" of the type @Dano 59 seems to be known for having.

Were it that either of you (or however many clowns of your ilk there are) were even half as good at trolling as you think you are, I'd continue. Unfortunately, (to the detriment of everyone's entertainment) you're not.

There's a difference between "packing one's tent and going home" and dismissing someone. Maybe you'll figure it out.

Ciao babydoll.

bacha29

Incorporating that “Amazon model” into Express with contractors is not going to be as easy as they think it’ll be. It’s still a big dream of theirs.
And with that battalion size group of costly so called "contingency contractors" out there running all over the country trying to patch up a seemingly endless number of holes in the network and more opening up all the time Fat Raj is going to have to come up with a better means of solving that problem before he moves onto something else.

Aquaman

It’s the direction Express is going. E-Star dumbs down the job and they’re looking into the street clothes with vest look. They’re already not training people lol. It’s trending towards a DoorDash style app gig. Because that’s what people are getting used to seeing.

bbsam

Staff member
1654044129438.png

1654044129438.png

@59 Dano I don’t know your position in the company but I do know contractors all over the country understand that a lot of times giving the company a 30 day notice and walking away is far better than staying in a :censored2: contract. Maybe folks in middle Tennessee really aren’t paying attention. Yet.

Hax

I don’t know what to tell you. When 1400 contractors sign letters of concern, contractors can’t sell because their businesses have been devalued, and the company can’t give contracts away, you’d think the problem was obvious.

“Well, they’re getting packages picked up and delivered, aren’t they?” Yes. And paying other contractors extremely high rates to do it. That’s their solution rather than having decent contracts to begin with.

It’s not hard to check any of this. Routes are listed for sale all over the place. Ground failures in Madison and Milwaukee shouldn’t be hard for anyone in FedEx to confirm. Rockford Illinois as well. But it’s not only in the Midwest.

The company wants a different kind of contractor and it will be a mess as it transitions to that version of the model if it can. It’s disappointing. And I don’t think I’ve been anti-FedEx on this site in the slightest. Nor do I think they are evil because I’ll soon be separating from them. It’s a business decision. They are a bad investment in my opinion and I don’t have much faith in the new leadership or in the mystery vision for the company that they seem to be chasing.
Can confirm Madison is a :censored2: show. They just don't have enough staff to unload the trailers. The other side is the ungodly amount of contingency drivers there at the moment. A couple I used to work for got out last October and X still hasn't found anyone to fill their place.

bbsam

Staff member
Can confirm Madison is a :censored2: show. They just don't have enough staff to unload the trailers. The other side is the ungodly amount of contingency drivers there at the moment. A couple I used to work for got out last October and X still hasn't found anyone to fill their place.
Yes. Contingency people do what they want. If they don’t want pickups, they don’t do pickups. I’m sure the smart people have it all under control 🤣

NC man

Retired in Dec, was at the post office today and saw the ground guy that delivers in my old area. He had left ground before I retired and went to Express and said it was so bad he went back to Ground!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
View attachment 386457

View attachment 386457
@59 Dano I don’t know your position in the company but I do know contractors all over the country understand that a lot of times giving the company a 30 day notice and walking away is far better than staying in a :censored2: contract. Maybe folks in middle Tennessee really aren’t paying attention. Yet.
For some I'm sure it is. Not everyone is meant to be a contractor. Also, FB is fairly entertaining.

bbsam

Staff member
For some I'm sure it is. Not everyone is meant to be a contractor. Also, FB is fairly entertaining.
It is entertaining. But I’m not sure X has ever seen this kind of contractor turnover. I mean 15-20% of seasoned contractors willing to walk? In the next several months? Right beforehand peak? I guess they know what they’re doing.

Nolimitz

It is entertaining. But I’m not sure X has ever seen this kind of contractor turnover. I mean 15-20% of seasoned contractors willing to walk? In the next several months? Right beforehand peak? I guess they know what they’re doing.
With Estar starting here we are losing folks. One this week (with no job lined up) and many more are talking about walking away. Lost a bunch in the past few months.
Estar sims are making everyone a swing driver with no pay diff... WTF are these people thinking. Starts next week 6 days a week

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It’s the direction Express is going. E-Star dumbs down the job and they’re looking into the street clothes with vest look. They’re already not training people lol. It’s trending towards a DoorDash style app gig. Because that’s what people are getting used to seeing.
Sure they may be moving in that direction but it’s not going to be a smooth road ahead. That E-Star program is not going be the magic bullet they think it is. E-Star is just another nail in their coffin since it’s already a major train-wreck which no one knows how to fix and it’s scaring off even more people than ever. DoorDash is gonna’ look like a dream job by comparison.

Enjoy the quicksand Raj.

Mutineer

The pay at FedEx simply isn't keeping up enough to draw the talent they want.
Exactly what sort of "talent" is required to be a courier?

None. That's why the wages are reflecting that fact.

In the days of the Thomas Guide, a courier who knew his route was a pain to replace.

Not nearly so much in the age of hand-held devices that plot a route for you.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Exactly what sort of "talent" is required to be a courier?

None. That's why the wages are reflecting that fact.

In the days of the Thomas Guide, a courier who knew his route was a pain to replace.

Not nearly so much in the age of hand-held devices that plot a route for you.
Except the route-plotting software is inaccurate and out-of-date, building inefficiencies into the system.

More bean-counter influence that is self defeating.

But, hey, it keeps the bean-counters in a job. Right @59 Dano ?

thedownhillEXPRESS

Except the route-plotting software is inaccurate and out-of-date, building inefficiencies into the system.

More bean-counter influence that is self defeating.

But, hey, it keeps the bean-counters in a job. Right @59 Dano ?
And by trying to only attract the bottom of the barrel labor force you’ll have no consistency.
Will always be understaffed and service levels will continue to plummet.
The fast food and retail wage employees are transient and not dependable to show up everyday like FedEx needs.

Mutineer

Depending on the area, there were plenty of inaccuracies and mistakes in the Thomas Guide, and every other paper map.

This occupation has been dumbed-down to the point that experienced, reliable people aren't needed.

And micro-managed to the point (driver facing cameras is only one of many examples) that working in fast food or retail isn't so bad in comparison.