" The Times They Are A Changing"

bacha29

And by trying to only attract the bottom of the barrel labor force you’ll have no consistency.
Will always be understaffed and service levels will continue to plummet.
The fast food and retail wage employees are transient and not dependable to show up everyday like FedEx needs.
The standard line from Ground management to contractors was....."hire somebody"! Problem is Mr. Somebody flat out will not bite on the chum being tossed his way and in many cases Mr. Somebody is nowhere to be found.

In the meantime FDX will continue to lumber along but maintaining it's standing as a premier carrier is something I can't see happening without a major restructuring. And the sooner they get started on it the better it will be for them.

bbsam

Staff member
For some I'm sure it is. Not everyone is meant to be a contractor. Also, FB is fairly entertaining.
As you mentioned before, the trend looks to be toward larger contractors. The problem they have with larger contractors, is that larger contractors can generally affor to walk away far more easily and are far more difficult to control.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
As you mentioned before, the trend looks to be toward larger contractors. The problem they have with larger contractors, is that larger contractors can generally affor to walk away far more easily and are far more difficult to control.
If Raj is half the control freak Fred is, then that’s a deal killer.

bacha29

Indeed. Especially if the are speculative contractors who are there simply to flip contracts for profit. If the returns aren't there in a certain amount of time....it's "hasta la vista baby"! Time to cut their losses and go. They're not there to get Fat Raj out of his troubles or to save some other corporation from their own poor decisions.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Depending on the area, there were plenty of inaccuracies and mistakes in the Thomas Guide, and every other paper map.

This occupation has been dumbed-down to the point that experienced, reliable people aren't needed.

And micro-managed to the point (driver facing cameras is only one of many examples) that working in fast food or retail isn't so bad in comparison.
Thank you for reinforcing my assertion that an experienced courier is more desirable and dependable than inaccurate data.

Mutineer

If Raj is half the control freak Fred is, then that’s a deal killer.

Control and compliance is exactly what gets those sadists their jollies. The same kinds of toxic personalities that thrive in 'human resources' roles. They like their contractors in a perpetual state of skittering around solving and complying with ridiculous, company created problems and mandates. All the while, the contractor is always in a position of irony: 'damned if you do, damned if you don't.'

And that's exactly why they treat their contractors like garbage. So they will always be unhappy, and WILL NEED to be controlled.

Mutineer

Thank you for reinforcing my assertion that an experienced courier is more desirable and dependable than inaccurate data.

This is true. Regardless of occupation, (except prostitution) experienced people are always more desirable.

But FedEx's, and other carriers, and many other industries and businesses decisions and policies contradict this.

Why?

In cushy, climate-controlled office building legions of e-bike commuting, bottled water sipping, college-educated weenies have been furrowing their brows and have determined that due to technological advances; experienced, expensive people aren't needed so much anymore.

Every day, they are being proven correct. And they celebrate this fact by getting in a pile, and buggering the bejeezus out of each other until they are all giddy with ecstasy! (I have not confirmed the orgy part, but I imagine that's what they do)

The purpose of these people's occupation is so that immigrants, idiots, and the desperate can and will do those jobs.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It is entertaining. But I’m not sure X has ever seen this kind of contractor turnover. I mean 15-20% of seasoned contractors willing to walk? In the next several months? Right beforehand peak? I guess they know what they’re doing.
Saying "I'm leaving" and actually leaving are two different things. Perhaps they will.

It will be fine

Saying "I'm leaving" and actually leaving are two different things. Perhaps they will.
There’s already been a few around here that have walked. It doesn’t take many to cause some real problems across the network. Those problems hurt the remaining contractors and make walking easier for them. With current fuel prices it won’t surprise me if some contractors just can’t continue to operate even if they wanted to.

zeev

Fast Freddy’s biggest mistake was not running the Ground freight through the existing Express system, they did for a while adding more trailers and Ground routes, but RPS was acquired to combat the unions . The result was two systems side by side each starved for resources. Freddy would never admit his mistake and now has an outsider like Raj to take the blame . Facebook has pictures of Express couriers delivering Bull Semen in Wyoming and Nebraska bragging how far they drive with 10 packages. $5.00 diesel is going to bring the showdown real quick.

bbsam

Staff member
True. I think it’s probably a matter of time. We’re living in an age with 8.5% inflation and a company continuing to cut rates with a fuel supplement that covers about 40% of the increase from a base amount.

For clarity, if a contractor in early 2022 had a base price of $2.00 per gallon and spent $6000 per week and the price goes to $4.00, the weekly expense would be $12000. Of that extra $6000, fuel supplement covers $2400. That’s $3600 every week that comes out of already slim margins.

People will try and they’ll hope something will change for the better. It hasn’t gotten better. Not sure why folks would continue to wait on it.

bacha29

Fast Freddy’s biggest mistake was not running the Ground freight through the existing Express system, they did for a while adding more trailers and Ground routes, but RPS was acquired to combat the unions . The result was two systems side by side each starved for resources. Freddy would never admit his mistake and now has an outsider like Raj to take the blame . Facebook has pictures of Express couriers delivering Bull Semen in Wyoming and Nebraska bragging how far they drive with 10 packages. $5.00 diesel is going to bring the showdown real quick.
Spot on. With the potential for Putin to completely cutting off fuel to Europe and the country slowly moving to a war footing the prospect of emergency conservation measures if not out and out energy rationing could easily become a reality. Going back to 5 day a week delivery of nonessential goods with the rural areas going to 3 day service perhaps 2 would likely become a primary focus of those conservation measures.
Another potential measure would be dividing geographical areas up among the primary carriers granting them exclusivity to those service areas.

While conservation and possibly rationing would combat the problem in the near term, yesterday a report from a JP Morgan VP stated that in order to bring oil supply and demand back into balance and make the US oil self sufficient it would require more than 1 trillion dollars in additional cap x over the next decade . Blaming past, present and future presidential administrations for the lack of cheap oil won't do a bit of good. This crisis has been building for years.

In the meantime, quit your crying about the end of cheap gas. It ain't coming back. Do what they did in the old days. Assemble a shopping list and go to town once a week to get your stuff....and try to grow some of your own food. You don't need to be a dooms day prepper but rather taking a few measures designed to keep you from becoming totally powerless in the face of a dramatic escalation of global tensions..

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Blaming past, present and future presidential administrations for the lack of cheap oil won't do a bit of good. This crisis has been building for years.
"Crisis"

Screenshot_20220325-100906_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220325-101022_Chrome.jpg

bacha29

Laugh if you want to but keep in mind three simple letters.....LNG. It will be the driver of global politics in the coming months....especially the cold ones and Putin carries out his plan to shut it off to Europe.

falcon back

Laugh if you want to but keep in mind three simple letters.....LNG. It will be the driver of global politics in the coming months....especially the cold ones and Putin carries out his plan to shut it off to Europe.
You claim you have retired, you claim you own no FDX stock, yet you are consumed by the daily activities that occur at the company.

bacha29

You claim you have retired, you claim you own no FDX stock, yet you are consumed by the daily activities that occur at the company.
Now just exactly where in my previous comments did I mention FDX? I can plainly understand your undying albeit brain washed devotion to Fat Freddy. I'm sorry to have to bring this to your attention but your beloved company is just one player among many players in a global transportation industry. An industry that is totally vulnerable to geopolitical forces even during times of relative stability. And today with East/West tensions as high as they have been since the Cold War we could be entering into an entirely new era political one-upmanship .