" The Times They Are A Changing"

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Laugh if you want to but keep in mind three simple letters.....LNG. It will be the driver of global politics in the coming months....especially the cold ones and Putin carries out his plan to shut it off to Europe.
The three simple letters should be DEF. This could be the death of the industry.

Mutineer

The three simple letters should be DEF. This could be the death of the industry.

I'm not a Diesel mechanic, but I think there would be many different ways to bypass the particulate emissions system, and fool the computer.

If I understand correctly, DEF is fuel for a miniature crematorium to burn off soot and particulate matter that is trapped in a ceramic filter.

If the hippie politicians would allow such a modification in an urgent situation is a different matter.

bacha29

And the chemical base of Urea is natural gas and LNG stands for Liquified Natural Gas. And Putin's invasion of one of the most productive regions in all of Europe is having without question far reaching effects.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Not me—family and friends. But let’s not be facetious, and admit that dollar store technology isn’t cutting it. You and your peers are betting on the wrong horse.
What are they afraid of? I mean, I understand that there are a lot of people terrified at the thought of technology complementing and improving their skillset - by why? The ones I know personally are of the "Can't nobody or nothing be a better way of doing my job than the way I do it" breed who are always worried about how well a swing runs their routes. Other than those (complacent guys who are terrified about being exposed as lazy) I can't comprehend the fear.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What are they afraid of? I mean, I understand that there are a lot of people terrified at the thought of technology complementing and improving their skillset - by why? The ones I know personally are of the "Can't nobody or nothing be a better way of doing my job than the way I do it" breed who are always worried about how well a swing runs their routes. Other than those (complacent guys who are terrified about being exposed as lazy) I can't comprehend the fear.
Complement and improve their pay and benefits while doing the same for their skill set.

Questions Needed Answered

Complement and improve their pay and benefits while doing the same for their skill set.
We all know that's not going to happen (improvement in pay and benefits), given that even uniforms are on the chopping block now. There will be no skillset improvement either. AFAIK there's no arguing with E Star dictation.

Personally I look forward to E Star. It takes some responsibility off of me and perhaps it may do a better job. Either way my day becomes easier. I look at it from a different perspective than some though. This is not a career for me; I've already had a career. This is a "keep me active / extra money" job for me, so on a certain level I can understand how people looking at 30+ more years of work with this company (assuming it lasts that long) are uncomfortable about the uncertainty.

Last edited:

floridays

I've got 1,000 dollars that says @freds myth could sit in the chair you occupy and in a couple days or a week at most you wouldn't be missed. You aren't great shakes :censored2:.

MAKAVELI

What technology are you talking about. As far as I can see FedEx doesn't have technology. 😶

floridays

We all know that's not going to happen (improvement in pay and benefits), given that even uniforms are on the chopping block now. There will be no skillset improvement either. AFAIK there's no arguing with E Star dictation.

Personally I look forward to E Star. It takes some responsibility off of me and perhaps it may do a better job. Either way my day becomes easier. I look at it from a different perspective than some though. This is not a career for me; I've already had a career. This is a "keep me active / extra money" job for me, so on a certain level I can understand how people looking at 30+ more years of work with this company (assuming it lasts that long) are uncomfortable about the uncertainty.
Not squeezing your nuts, just curious.

Why would a person with a former career, want to deliver packages for fedex?
You make it sound as if you don't need the job.
Do you need the job?

Not squeezing your nuts, just curious.

Why would a person with a former career, want to deliver packages for fedex?
You make it sound as if you don't need the job.
Do you need the job?
I'd prefer if you didn't think or talk about my nuts; they're big enough that you probably couldn't get your tiny hands around them, however, I thought I made it pretty evident that I do not need the job when I typed "This is not a career for me; I've already had a career. This is a 'keep me active / extra money' job for me". This is pure :poop: and gigs for me.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
And the chemical base of Urea is natural gas and LNG stands for Liquified Natural Gas. And Putin's invasion of one of the most productive regions in all of Europe is having without question far reaching effects.
“In a reaction similar to the Wöhler synthesis, ammonium carbamate can be converted to urea and water. This is the basis of the process that has been used to produce urea industrially for almost a century.”

“In 2020,Wang’s group developed an electrochemical method that skips ammonia and directly converts nitrogen gas, CO2, and water to urea at ambient temperature and pressure.”Urea - American Chemical Society

Exactly where does natural gas enter the picture?

“In a reaction similar to the Wöhler synthesis, ammonium carbamate can be converted to urea and water. This is the basis of the process that has been used to produce urea industrially for almost a century.”

“In 2020,Wang’s group developed an electrochemical method that skips ammonia and directly converts nitrogen gas, CO2, and water to urea at ambient temperature and pressure.”Urea - American Chemical Society

I guess harnessing all those pee bottles in the back of FedEx trucks for the "hidden gold" of urea is an untapped market? Should I set up a lemonade stand with cheap vodka and a heat tent? I mean, if we're going to capitalize on cheap labor, then let's utilize it to the fullest, right?

floridays

I can't answer that question, don't have to that's on @bacha29 but I do miss ammonium nitrate, actually I miss urea as well as a fertilizer, each had their place in turf and agriculture.

My local fertilizer company went out of business about 35 years ago or I'd ask em, except both the brothers died long ago. I miss the their fertilizer in paper bags. They would do special blends to order as well.
Good days, long gone.

I can't answer that question, don't have to that's on @bacha29 but I do miss ammonium nitrate, actually I miss urea as well as a fertilizer, each had their place in turf and agriculture.

My local fertilizer company went out of business about 35 years ago or I'd ask em, except both the brothers died long ago. I miss the their fertilizer in paper bags. They would do special blends to order as well.
Good days, long gone.
So much troll bait here ...

whenIgetthere

Never had a problem seeing swings do my route, I had many e-notes to help them, and only one could come close to my SPH. Funny how I'd get 03's back because they couldn't find an address or apt, but if they'd read the e-notes, spelled out right on the Ppad or LEO. Had many years as manager pre-Fedex, always cross-trained employees to prevent the "I don't know how" routine.

It will be fine

“Although urea is used widely in agriculture, current urea production is decidedly not “green”. Ammonia and urea production consume >2% of the world’s energy and emit more CO2 than any other industrial process.”

I like that part. DEF is a scam. How much of the environmental gains of DEF systems are lost in the production of the fluid? It’s so stupid.