Things I've Missed Out On, Because I'm a UPS'er.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Again, everyone who takes this job knows what it entails. You will miss certain holidays, you will get in late sometimes, you will be tired at the end of the day. Crying about it won't garner any sympathy from me, especially when a phone call is all it takes to get the day off. I make time the for my kid, my father worked a 65 hour week when I was growing up and he made it work for me and my brother and sister, too. Indulge him if you want, I'm not interested in it. If that makes me a jerk, then so be it. I've been called worse by better anyway.
And this is the difference between YOU, and ME. Nothing here to "virtually" bicker about, you do it THAT way, and I do it THIS way, neither being wrong, just different. If you're saying that I need to suck it up, and be more like you, then that's a different story.

Do you know how your Dad felt about things, I mean other than politics and what ever else he may have said within earshot? Well, my children will know, and not have to guess. They will NEVER have lacked me being there for them.

As far as knowing what I was getting into? Sure, I knew, and I also thought I knew the woman I was marrying. That she would always be there. Unfortunately, she's not, so changes/adjustments must be made. I pray, (literally, I mean, I just did), that you never go through this, because it ain't easy for anyone involved.

Indulging a compadre is exactly what I plan on doing.:happy-very::happy-very:

If it irritates you, you could visit another thread.
Thanks, me, I stand by you, as well.

Withheld: Imagine spending time with your kids if you were divorced. No wife at home to take care of those little things you take foregranted...picking them up from school/daycare, bath, homework, dinner. All that is on you after work. Is your dinner cooked when you get home? All you have to do is change clothes, clean up a bit, and sit down with the family? Having a spouse at home to do those things for you makes a big difference. My hubby used to work the 3-11 shift, now he works days. There is alot less stress added to my day worring how late I would be picking up our daughter from the sitter and going through the evening routine before 10pm.

This site is an opportunity to vent out the stresses of working for UPS. We all know what the job is, there is a unique understanding among us. We get it.....most people don't.

Steve is going through a tough time recently.....I for one will be here to cheer him up a little if I can, as I would for anyone else on here if needed.
Thanks, bbh, this post really lets people see where I'm at in life, greatly appreciated, as are you, my friend!

I also wanted to add that though this thread is about missing out on things, it's not created with the idea that we can fix the situation, just giving people a place to vent/acknowledge these things, and seeing what others have done so that they don't miss out on life.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I missed out on poverty, unemployment, paying hospital bills, living in the hood, sending my kids to bad schools, driving a beater, wearing walmart shoes, and working till im 65.

We've missed out on a few things, but there's a considerable amount that was gained in return.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I missed out on poverty, unemployment, paying hospital bills, living in the hood, sending my kids to bad schools, driving a beater, wearing walmart shoes, and working till im 65.

We've missed out on a few things, but there's a considerable amount that was gained in return.

Now I feel bad about my car and my shoes.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
the forced ot is horrible now, it has gotten worse in the last couple of years,, but it seems this year it is ridiculous . yes,, on holidays or the month of December i expect to work late, but not the whole year. when i signed up for this job way back when it was not like this

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
the forced ot is horrible now, it has gotten worse in the last couple of years,, but it seems this year it is ridiculous . yes,, on holidays or the month of December i expect to work late, but not the whole year. when i signed up for this job way back when it was not like this
I thought you were a big bonus guy?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
My kids never missed out on having a roof over their head,good meals in their bellies,a warm house, pretty dresses,new baseball glove ,dance lessons,football ,baseball, a decent house & a very understanding UPS wife to make up for what time I couldn't provide,but love them all so I do what I got to do !!!!

Boza

Hey man, sounds like your going through a bad time if I read everything right.... I'm new to the forum stuff. But as for me I've missed out on a lot of my daughters events, time with family and actually went through the same thing and being in the truck for 11 hrs a day makes u think about stuff over and over.

Long story short it happened and I ended up meeting a my current wife on my route. Best thing that's ever happened to me. I still miss stuff every now and again but again it's my choice to show up there every morning and deal with the BS. I honestly can say I won't be at ups much longer I'm 12 yrs deep 6 of those driving and don't want to MISS what I have left. If I do stay I'll run air, keep my ins and top out at 20-something.:happy2:

Good luck bro!

MobileBA

Well, the last 12years in feeder have been a blessing I've missed very few things since I've opted to work graveyard starting at 10pm until 8:30am. The only thing i'm missing now is sleep!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My kids never missed out on having a roof over their head,good meals in their bellies,a warm house, pretty dresses,new baseball glove ,dance lessons,football ,baseball, a decent house & a very understanding UPS wife to make up for what time I couldn't provide,but love them all so I do what I got to do !!!!
Now take that same equation and have your lovely wife walk out on you. Now what?

Well, the last 12years in feeder have been a blessing I've missed very few things since I've opted to work graveyard starting at 10pm until 8:30am. The only thing i'm missing now is sleep!
Good for you!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Hope after 23 years she won't , I am thankful for all she does to keep this house together & the things she has put up with from me being a UPS guy for 22 yrs. She often felt like a single mom,but she is strong and a great mom & wife. I am a lucky guy STUG and I know it. I'm sorry the way things turned out for you.At least those beautiful little girls love you I can see from the pictures the kind of dad you are and how they must worship you !! Carry on soldier !!!!