Thinking about joining the union

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Wondering if its worth the 6 dollars a week. Would like some better treatment over all.

Gone 5 months without a misload, I hustle and yet they treat me like I'm the problem. Been pulled four days in a row now, just because I get ahead of my work. For god sakes I just want to be left the hell alone. Please, your words.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You must be in a right to work state. I recommend the union because as a steward I have seen 20, 25 and 30 year employees terminated just because UPS wanted to. Now in most cases they come back because the union fought for them. Thats when you hear, im glad I paid my dues all these years, because when I needed you guys you were there for me and my family. The Teamsters is the only hope many of us have to make it to retirement.

For the employees that do not pay dues but reep the benifits of the contarct and langauge, is the equilvalent of letting your little sister fight all of your fights.

The best feeling is when a wife calls you and thanks you for everything that you have done to help her husband get his job back as a steward. Now if enough members did not pay dues we would not be able to fight the good fight as the union would have no money to arbitrate cases, meaning UPS would bully us knowing that. Join the Teamsters, become an involved member!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wondering if its worth the 6 dollars a week. Would like some better treatment over all.

Gone 5 months without a misload, I hustle and yet they treat me like I'm the problem. Been pulled four days in a row now, just because I get ahead of my work. For god sakes I just want to be left the hell alone. Please, your words.

The union has nothing to do with it. You will be harrassed more as a union member.

Two words of advice , after hearing what your co-workers thought of you in the small sort - work as directed and keep your big mouth shut -the best advice you are going to get to being left alone.

roflo486

Ive been on the preload for almost 2 years and really never thought the union was a big deal but I just went in to driving and thinking of joining real quick.

SWORDFISH

Im w/ REDs comment on this one and I will add to it that I dont have respect for those that are not union. Orly, UPS leaves no one alone. If your going to work hear your going to have to learn to handle it. I would find a mentor if I were you. Hopefully they can teach you some stuff so you wont have to learn the hard way. OH YEAH AND JOIN THE UNION :peaceful:

Hawaii50

What ever you do. Don't ever make this job your career. There are always better jobs. Don't believe the propoganda. This company will abuse physically. Then when your production is on the decline. They will drop you for a younger faster you. All of the work you did throughout the years to make UPS successful will be for nothing when you get axed. I've seen several older drivers axed for small infractions their terminations were upheld at panel. Those drivers were replaced with younger guys.

My advice join the Union sooner or later you're going to need the Union. The game you play at UPS is age.

SWORDFISH

What ever you do. Don't ever make this job your career. There are always better jobs. Don't believe the propoganda. This company will abuse physically. Then when your production is on the decline. They will drop you for a younger faster you. All of the work you did throughout the years to make UPS successful will be for nothing when you get axed. I've seen several older drivers axed for small infractions their terminations were upheld at panel. Those drivers were replaced with younger guys.

My advice join the Union sooner or later you're going to need the Union. The game you play at UPS is age.

What situations have drivers been getting fired permentally for? Im starting to hear this lately but no one has really been able to provide the info. I know alot of people get fired but almost always back to work. Please get back to me on this one.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The union has nothing to do with it. You will be harrassed more as a union member.

Two words of advice , after hearing what your co-workers thought of you in the small sort - work as directed and keep your big mouth shut -the best advice you are going to get to being left alone.

Why would you say this? The only people that get harassed at UPS are the ones that allow themselves to get harassed. Once you stand up for yourself the harassment stops. Management only harasses the ones they know they can get away with it with. The people that stand up for themselves dont get all the little pissy harassment talks. And being union helps out in many cases to standing up against the harassment.

22.34life

Why would you say this? The only people that get harassed at UPS are the ones that allow themselves to get harassed. Once you stand up for yourself the harassment stops. Management only harasses the ones they know they can get away with it with. The people that stand up for themselves dont get all the little pissy harassment talks. And being union helps out in many cases to standing up against the harassment.
I dont know about that dude i see plenty of it no matter who you are or what you do.what it really boils down to is this,you get a manager who is really enough of a d*** and could care less about grievances and he will do what he wants.There is a center manager in my building just like this i know a driver who has filed harrasment so many times i cant count but if the center manager could care less about whats on paper so it doesnt stop.if the worst thing that happens to a center manager is a typed letter saying that the company will comply with article xxx ,that doesnt hurt him.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sure it odes, you get that on a grievance and when the center manager violated the grievance resolution you tie them up at the NLRB costing UPS many in attorney fees.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I guess it really doesn't matter and I am wrong. Whether he is union or not, he's going to get harrassed. Plus he's obviously a troublemaker if you read through the threads in the past year or two. His co-workers came on here and bashed him if you remember!!! What I was trying to say is, that, union or not it doesn't matter, he won't be happy at UPS.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I guess it really doesn't matter and I am wrong. Whether he is union or not, he's going to get harrassed. Plus he's obviously a troublemaker if you read through the threads in the past year or two. His co-workers came on here and bashed him if you remember!!! What I was trying to say is, that, union or not it doesn't matter, he won't be happy at UPS.

Wheres that at?

I dont cause trouble. There was twice that I could have been seen as causing trouble. The first a box came down a feed belt and spilled all over the place with DVDs. I was really upset and walked out, yet chased down. I wasnt really going to leave I went out to walk it off. The second was recent, sup got into my face almost like he was going to hit me for not wanting to help another person. This person has been hurt like 3 - 4 times in the past 6 months. Hes known for causing trouble for everybody else. After the first 2 times, one would start thinking he was claiming to get hurt to get out of working that day. Plus, that same sup just got into the face of another worker like he did me. That person also thought he was going to get hit. The only diffrence is I didnt fill a grievance.

Over all, what I've done is minor what others have done at my building. People punching others, still working there. People stealing and others claim they did, still working there. People openly missloading to get out of having to be on the line and tossed in a feeder loader, easier job. Drivers driving under a suspended liscenses. Driver getting fired for stealing time, then a week later hes back driving again. Ya, im tottaly causing trouble.

You cant believe most of whats said on the internet. People are willing to inflate anything, especially on the internet. If your willing to believe whatever is said on a random forum, then your the gullible one. And as I said, people have done far worse at any HUB out there. I see consistent threads on this forum that I've witness other people do at my work.

What I'm upset about is how they treat their best workers. You would all think they would punish those who mess up all the time, yet they seem to get rewarded for it. They get left alone or move some where easier.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Oh, yea, Im happy at my job. Preload is the hardest job in the building. Yet I love it. A good day for me is getting left the hell alone. I'll go days threw the work week getting pulled from what I'm doing because someone out there can cut it. I see people go 6 months and never get pulled. Its upsetting because UPS panders to these people instead of punishing them. I researched UPS older days, and I like the sound of it, so I pledge I would be attempt to fantastic at my job because if it, boy was I wrong. UPS is backwords, upside down and a shade of turquise. What should be, isnt and what is wrong is right.

I thought the union could help me from being used all the time like a slave.

SWORDFISH

Red Im transfering to Chicago then. It doesnt work like that where Im at. I wish it did. They try and squash the people that stand up for themselves. Im just taller than the center manager so he hasnt figured out how to get his foot over my head to step down.

bscott85

if you're in a right to work state don't bother joining the union

they still have to defend you if you get into anything, and if you do your job correctly you won't have to worry about it in the first place

and you may think its only 6 bucks a week but its actually 2.5x your pay per month

so every time you get a raise, your dues go up

so just imagine some of the people making $20/hr are paying $50 :surprised: per month in dues

and that money doesn't necessarily go to helping you

the head of our local makes $107K per year, while the average part timer at UPS makes $15K per year

also I don't know if you're into politics, but if you're a republican and are in the teamsters union, some of your dues money goes to supporting the democratic party

dave991

Lead, don't follow.
Bscott: you are one of the most miss-guided people I have run across on this site...."dont bother joining they still have to defend you" This is the welfare equivalent of 'dont get a job the state will take care of you'. You need to realize EVERYONE pays 2.5 per month, so your dues are equal across the board. I'm paying $78 a month and its well worth keeping qualified, knowledgeable, and dedicated union people to not only represent me in the occasional work related issue, but the bigger picture of precident setting issues, change of ops proposals, subcontracting situations, and the big one!!! Contract negotiations!!!!! The UNION is a non profit, color blind organization that deals with the everyday working people that strive to build a better life for their family and insure a better future for all of us.

tieguy

Banned

I'm surprised you don't think you recieve more grief and harrassment because of your strong support of the union?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wheres that at?

I dont cause trouble. There was twice that I could have been seen as causing trouble. The first a box came down a feed belt and spilled all over the place with DVDs. I was really upset and walked out, yet chased down. I wasnt really going to leave I went out to walk it off. The second was recent, sup got into my face almost like he was going to hit me for not wanting to help another person. This person has been hurt like 3 - 4 times in the past 6 months. Hes known for causing trouble for everybody else. After the first 2 times, one would start thinking he was claiming to get hurt to get out of working that day. Plus, that same sup just got into the face of another worker like he did me. That person also thought he was going to get hit. The only diffrence is I didnt fill a grievance.

Over all, what I've done is minor what others have done at my building. People punching others, still working there. People stealing and others claim they did, still working there. People openly missloading to get out of having to be on the line and tossed in a feeder loader, easier job. Drivers driving under a suspended liscenses. Driver getting fired for stealing time, then a week later hes back driving again. Ya, im tottaly causing trouble.

You cant believe most of whats said on the internet. People are willing to inflate anything, especially on the internet. If your willing to believe whatever is said on a random forum, then your the gullible one. And as I said, people have done far worse at any HUB out there. I see consistent threads on this forum that I've witness other people do at my work.

What I'm upset about is how they treat their best workers. You would all think they would punish those who mess up all the time, yet they seem to get rewarded for it. They get left alone or move some where easier.

Look, the point is, the union will do you no good in your case. Yes, there are thousands of union members just like you, that like to deflect responsibility and blame others , and also level bad behaviours by pointing out others doing worse. However, you will still have a big X on your back when the day begins and ends.