Thinking about joining the union

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm surprised you don't think you recieve more grief and harrassment because of your strong support of the union?

Agree with you there. Cannot deny that union activity leads to increased hostility, right or wrong. That was my original point which maybe wasn't clear.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
if you're in a right to work state don't bother joining the union

they still have to defend you if you get into anything, and if you do your job correctly you won't have to worry about it in the first place

and you may think its only 6 bucks a week but its actually 2.5x your pay per month

so every time you get a raise, your dues go up

so just imagine some of the people making $20/hr are paying $50 :surprised: per month in dues

and that money doesn't necessarily go to helping you

the head of our local makes $107K per year, while the average part timer at UPS makes $15K per year

also I don't know if you're into politics, but if you're a republican and are in the teamsters union, some of your dues money goes to supporting the democratic party

Wow, really.. thats outrageous, 50 dollars a week!!

I already knew that the union was a Democrat thing. One of the biggest reason Obama got in office is due to unions. I am a republican and really cant stand the union. I thought signing up would help me out. Perhaps in the future, if I drive. I also will say that the union is a huge reason why the countries jobs are getting exported out. Another great reason to work for UPS, you can export this job, its here to stay. I've also meet people here more then 20 years drivers and workers that arnt unioned up. They also share the same distaste for them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Wow, really.. thats outrageous, 50 dollars a week!!

I already knew that the union was a Democrat thing. One of the biggest reason Obama got in office is due to unions. I am a republican and really cant stand the union. I thought signing up would help me out. Perhaps in the future, if I drive. I also will say that the union is a huge reason why the countries jobs are getting exported out. Another great reason to work for UPS, you can export this job, its here to stay. I've also meet people here more then 20 years drivers and workers that arnt unioned up. They also share the same distaste for them.

But they all enjoy the pay and vacations and all the other great benefits that come with the job don't they. Do you actually think UPS would be so generous if the Teamster Union was in the picture. Dream on..

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Look, the point is, the union will do you no good in your case. Yes, there are thousands of union members just like you, that like to deflect responsibility and blame others , and also level bad behaviours by pointing out others doing worse. However, you will still have a big X on your back when the day begins and ends.

I was looking back at some of my other threads, I didnt see anyone bashing me. Some discussions, debate.. random forum banter really. I would love to see what you were talking about.

Lets face it, everyone has an X on their back. When I first started, a manager told me the dumbones do really well, yea he said that. The dumb ones dont realize they are target, and everyone gets targeted time to time.

I'm not part of the union for political reasons over all. I was only seeing and asking if the union would be a good idea. I am in a right ot work state. 2.5 of your pay might not seem like too much now for me, but was pointed out, it would be outrageous in the future.

As for driving, it may not be the best of ideas. They fire those guys so easily. Going full time might be better. A person I know that washes cars and charges full time makes just as much as drivers. The less responsibility the better I'd say.

JonFrum

Bscott: you are one of the most miss-guided people I have run across on this site...."dont bother joining they still have to defend you" This is the welfare equivalent of 'dont get a job the state will take care of you'. You need to realize EVERYONE pays 2.5 per month, so your dues are equal across the board. I'm paying $78 a month and its well worth keeping qualified, knowledgeable, and dedicated union people to not only represent me in the occasional work related issue, but the bigger picture of precident setting issues, change of ops proposals, subcontracting situations, and the big one!!! Contract negotiations!!!!! The UNION is a non profit, color blind organization that deals with the everyday working people that strive to build a better life for their family and insure a better future for all of us.

Dave, actually there is nothing equal about the dues structure. Paying 2.5 times your hourly rate is the minimum rate required by the IBT Constitution. Lots of Locals charge more. (I pay $88 per month.)

Public sector workers who don't have the right to strike pay only 2.25 their hourly rate.

Some Locals also use averaging formulas which result in lower-paid and higher-paid members paying the same dues amount.

Dues is not assesed on overtime, so all that time-and-a-half money is exempt, for those who get overtime. The forty hour-a-week guy and the fifty hour-a-week guy pay the same dues amount.

Part-timers who only get 3.5 hours a day, (and only if they demand it), pay dues at the same rate as if they worked eight or more hours a day. Part-timers earning less than $11 an hour are only required by the IBT Constitution to pay 2 times their hourly rate, but this minimum reduced rate is exceeded in some Locals.

Then there is the huge disparity in Initiation Fees charged from one Local to another; and from one one workplace to another within the same local.
- - - -
By the way, there are 56,650 non-members of the IBT who are in bargaining units represented by the Teamsters, who get the same representation, and contract negotiating, and grievance processing as members do. These 56,650 non-members are not Free Riders. They pay an Agency Fee monthly to the Teamsters in lieu of dues. The amount is a bit less than the dues rate a member pays.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was looking back at some of my other threads, I didnt see anyone bashing me. Some discussions, debate.. random forum banter really. I would love to see what you were talking about.

Lets face it, everyone has an X on their back. When I first started, a manager told me the dumbones do really well, yea he said that. The dumb ones dont realize they are target, and everyone gets targeted time to time.

I'm not part of the union for political reasons over all. I was only seeing and asking if the union would be a good idea. I am in a right ot work state. 2.5 of your pay might not seem like too much now for me, but was pointed out, it would be outrageous in the future.

As for driving, it may not be the best of ideas. They fire those guys so easily. Going full time might be better. A person I know that washes cars and charges full time makes just as much as drivers. The less responsibility the better I'd say.

Your co-workers were more than brutally honest in saying they cannot stand you in that complaint thread last year. You can take it however you want.

I am one of those guys you speak of, who does practically nothing full-time and gets paid 24.20/hr. Those jobs are UNION jobs and, I hate to say this, you won't be getting one unless you go full-time driving first. Those jobs were won by Ron Carey in the 1990s when UPS went on strike in 1997. Since then Ron was displaced by Hoffa Jr. and now the jobs that were won (inside full-time) are leaving, not coming. Only full-time employees can bid on them, not part-timers. So your only way into a 22.3 FT job is to get in the package car then "bid down".

The union faught hard and won the FT inside jobs. If it were not for democratic Teamsters, there would be no fair pay and certainly no inside full-time jobs.

Do you not see irony of being anti-union yet wanting an easy full-time job that was solely established because of union solidarity?
t

Guy Smiley

they still have to defend you if you get into anything, and if you do your job correctly you won't have to worry about it in the first place

and you may think its only 6 bucks a week but its actually 2.5x your pay per month

so just imagine some of the people making $20/hr are paying $50 :surprised: per month in dues

the head of our local makes $107K per year, while the average part timer at UPS makes $15K per year

also I don't know if you're into politics, but if you're a republican and are in the teamsters union, some of your dues money goes to supporting the democratic party

Wholeheartedly agreed. I'd sign a waiver to get rid of union representation. Let me add a few more to this list.
The union is clearly in cahoots with corporate america
if your ever fired your better off with a lawyer; they don't speak with no double negatives.
Union thugs always bad mouth their own when discipline happens
The labor manager I dealt with is more labor friendly than the business agent.
The dumb hacks flaunt your union dues money in front of you by driving fully loaded cars or enormous bellies

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wholeheartedly agreed. I'd sign a waiver to get rid of union representation. Let me add a few more to this list.
The union is clearly in cahoots with corporate america
if your ever fired your better off with a lawyer; they don't speak with no double negatives.
Union thugs always bad mouth their own when discipline happens
The labor manager I dealt with is more labor friendly than the business agent.
The dumb hacks flaunt your union dues money in front of you by driving fully loaded cars or enormous bellies

When you lob them up like that expect someone to slam them right back in your face.:wink2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
well you could definitely join the union

or better yet, you could take $15 a week and throw it into a sewer

Or even better, maybe you could hand back your medical card, pay for your own prescprtions, become an at will employee, work 52 weeks with no paid time off, work 11 hours a day with no over time, work for less per hour much less, you can give up your seniority, work every holiday at straight pay, and contiue to suck off the tit of others!

SWORDFISH

Or even better, maybe you could hand back your medical card, pay for your own prescprtions, become an at will employee, work 52 weeks with no paid time off, work 11 hours a day with no over time, work for less per hour much less, you can give up your seniority, work every holiday at straight pay, and contiue to suck off the tit of others!

+ infiniti!

Have never needed the union while paying dues and probably never will. But boy they sure came through for me as a pt sup in order to bitch slap drivers out of their cars in the morning.

22.34life

In a right to work state they have to be present when you get diciplined thats it ,do you really think that you get the same protection as dues paying members get,what planet do you live on.people like you should be wiped away from ups ,you say things like they have to defend you anyways but if nobody pays dues how will the union survive for you to have a union rep you idiot.The freeriders dont want to pay dues but they sure do want to reap the benefits their brothers pay for aint that right bscott.Anyone with any sense knows the teamsters support the democrats,the republicans have always been against labor unions from as far back as the reagan days.Now if you come to work and do just as they say everyday your right you wont have many problems, but believe me there will come a time when something will happen and you will need help everbody does and then you will fork over that money so fast your head will spin.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Have never needed the union while paying dues and probably never will. But boy they sure came through for me as a pt sup in order to bitch slap drivers out of their cars in the morning.

Man you should really be writing childrens stories with the imagination that you have. You as a part time sup had drivers listenig to you, and you had a thousand sup working grievances filed against you and not 1 was ever paid. I call BS but I will buy your books, my kids like a good comedy.

tieguy

Banned

wow I just never realized that the union did all that for me.