Thinking about quitting (ASAP)

J

jibbs

My main concern is what are the consequences for quitting since when I was hired they had told me they ask for a one year commitment.

You get fined $5,000 for breaking the one-year commitment you entered upon becoming employed with UPS. Pretty standard contract stuff. If you don't pay up, I've heard talk of debtor's prison.

Teamsters are excluded from this clause in the contract, though. My advice? Join the union, then quit after they initiate you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I dealt with the :censored2:ty hours, getting sent home almost every other day, poor pay, etc while i went to college full time. I stuck with it and didn't complain. Now my paychecks are nice and fat. You gotta start somewhere, and somewhere is always at the bottom.
Exactly...we all...well....most of us started at the bottom making dick an hour. I just made 3 of the OP's checks just working my shift today...it does get better.

J

jibbs

never give up, it gets better the longer you are with the company! Jay kay bye bye see ya never

One thing gets better with time at UPS. Everything else pretty much stays the same... only difference is you just become more used to it all the more you're exposed to it.

P

pickup

Hello UPSers,
Ive been an Ups for about 2 months now working as a unloader. I already got use to the slave work, but i havent gotten use to the shi*** paychecks. Going in at 4am and getting cut before 7:30 or 8 just doesnt seem worth getting $110. My previous job in retail paid less hourly, but paychecks were ALOT better than what they are now. I kept the retail job just as a backup but only working weekends. I know if I do quit Ups, I will get my hours back at my other job and dont have the worry about money. My main concern is what are the consequences for quitting since when I was hired they had told me they ask for a one year commitment. I know they wont re-hire me (not a problem) but will it affect me when other jobs see that I quit such a big company?

It won't affect you one damn bit. You still kept your other job throughout the time. You could drop UPS from your resume and you still wouldn't have a gap in employment.

laffter

If you plan for this to be a temporary job, ask about getting a supervisor position. Your hours and pay will go up. You'll hate your life, but if it's temporary, you can put up with it for a while.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Hello UPSers,
Ive been an Ups for about 2 months now working as a unloader. I already got use to the slave work, but i havent gotten use to the shi*** paychecks. Going in at 4am and getting cut before 7:30 or 8 just doesnt seem worth getting $110. My previous job in retail paid less hourly, but paychecks were ALOT better than what they are now. I kept the retail job just as a backup but only working weekends. I know if I do quit Ups, I will get my hours back at my other job and dont have the worry about money. My main concern is what are the consequences for quitting since when I was hired they had told me they ask for a one year commitment. I know they wont re-hire me (not a problem) but will it affect me when other jobs see that I quit such a big company?
It will be on your permanent record. You'll be an outcast in society. Just ask Jenny--She quit before fulfilling her 1 year contract and ups shut off her phone ( call 867-5309 and you'll see) and now she is unemployed and homeless.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It will be on your permanent record. You'll be an outcast in society. Just ask Jenny--She quit before fulfilling her 1 year contract and ups shut off her phone ( call 867-5309 and you'll see) and now she is unemployed and homeless.
Shhhh.....the OP thinks he.matters at Brown. ......it's kinda cute...lol

Rawrzxor

There is NO way I am going to risk injury to myself, especially since you are NOT following the methods to PREVENT injury to yourself....

It's the same as working out, basically. Frankly, I was upset that I didn't build much muscle after a year of working at UPS as a package handler. I thought doing that much work would build at least a bit of muscle, but I hardly got any. Turns out, it's basically just cardio after your muscles get used to it, which is fairly quickly. Doing irregs will build some muscle. Well, yeah, if I don't break my back.

Technically, we're supposed to have two people lift anything heavier than 70 pounds. Are you saying that everyone at your hub duel lifts things heavier than 70? The irreg guys do ALL of the irregs by themselves at my hub, doesn't matter if they're 100 pounds or 150 pounds. The only reason we double lift is if something is just too big to really get a hold of.

I don't care if I get injured. All that means to me is time off work. As long as they pay for it, which they will after I explain the situation to whatever authority--and how proper lifting wasn't being taught or enforced where irregs were concerned.

Rawrzxor

I'll tell you what. Start unloading trailers and see how long you'll last at UPS. It's twice as hard as driving between two lines and dropping and picking up packages.

And half as hard as loading. After you've loaded for a year, or a few months, going to unload is paradise. Though, drivers jobs aren't easy. I was a driver helper before I was a loader, and it's tough cardio. I'm not sure which is harder, but they're both easy compared to loading 4-500pph. But really, it just depends on how much effort you put into it, whatever it is.

Rawrzxor

What a bunch of crybabies .
I have done ever job that UPS has to offer , inside & outside .
Many times for years on end .
I've worked on the midnight , the twi , preload , on car , and drove . Many times I had to load & unload the PC or 24 foot van by myself .
I had to record everything on paper , each and every tracking number , it was murder on bulk stops . And then call a 800 number and repeat the #'s to them .
Working inside in the winter , if you wanted to stay warm you had to rub up against another body , heat was a joke .
Sweated my backside off in the summer , even with every door nearby open .
To this day , I still think about quitting every time I'm there .
I'm currently working on my 39th year at UPS and I'm still to young to retire .

40 years seems good enough to me. A driver I worked with only had 30 years, and he said he'd retire making around 50k a year with his pension, 401k, social security, and IRA. Though, he said that if he stayed another 10 years, he would retire making 65-70k a year.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
And half as hard as loading. After you've loaded for a year, or a few months, going to unload is paradise. Though, drivers jobs aren't easy. I was a driver helper before I was a loader, and it's tough cardio. I'm not sure which is harder, but they're both easy compared to loading 4-500pph. But really, it just depends on how much effort you put into it, whatever it is.

First of all. It depends on the pace. If you go the same pace as you go in loading, unloading is going to be twice as hard. I've done both trailer loading and packagecar loading and they are very very easy to me. No heavy lifting and everything in your power zone. I've never done driver helping or anything, but I'm sure that no drivers work any harder than me during their first 3 hours on their shift.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Lets end this pissing contest right here. No job is harder than any other job, it all depends on how hard you work. There are some exceptions though. It's very hard to work hard sitting on a seat, steering a steering wheel and having your foot on the gas/brake.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Lets end this pissing contest right here. No job is harder than any other job, it all depends on how hard you work. There are some exceptions though. It's very hard to work hard sitting on a seat, steering a steering wheel and having your foot on the gas/brake.

Let's have you make that last point after delivering in 100 degreea amd 94% humidity for 10.5 hours for a week. You'll change yoir tune

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
There are NO easy jobs at UPS period. All jobs have there ups and downs. All have there mental and physical challenges. Anyone who works for UPS EARNS every penny and anyone that says otherwise is itching for a fight.