This is Meat Speaking

giphy (33).gif

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
TPP will lead to unprecedented Price Rollbacks at Walmart , effectively raising the standard of living of every American including you, and thereby ushering in a new Millenium of Peace and Prosperity for the World. Just because it will also happen to funnel wealth to the rich like never before, is beside the point, and merely incidental to its intended purpose.:fantasysmiley:

bacha29

To a greater extent it will serve to expand this nation's growing economic underclass. The class that Trump is feeding off of and promising to bring back the manufacturing jobs people lost even though Trump knows himself that it will never happen. Speaking as a center/left Democrat I believe that he will be elected but when the American people discover that the whole damn thing was a lie the backlash will be so overpowering resulting in a presidency so weak that hostile nations , China, North Korea, Russia ,Iran, etc perhaps all of them will try to flex their muscle in their regions putting U.S. interests at risk to a degree that military action becomes necessary. We saw that in WW2 when Japan, Germany and Italy took advantage of the Great Depression to expand their control through the use of force.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
There is a difference. Even automated tasks require people to supervise the operation to make sure it's running smoothly and service the machines when necessary. Not as many employees as was necessary to do the job manually but there are still American jobs at stake here.

The difference between losing all 1000 jobs to cheaper labor or losing 900 of those jobs to a machine. That's not much of a difference. Granted, I prefer the latter to the former, but in the end it's 100 jobs that are at stake. The other 900 are leaving one way or the other.

Last edited:

Purplepackage

In my area pretty much all manufacturing jobs are gone and all of those workers have switched to working some kind of warehouse jobs (which around here are popping up and spreading like wildfire).

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
80~90% of my cargo has "made in china" on the boxes... only a few, like Weathertech, are made in the USA.

Purplepackage

80~90% of my cargo has "made in china" on the boxes... only a few, like Weathertech, are made in the USA.

Manufacturing will be completely gone almost like how mining for coal has been essentially phased out.

And trust me its sad driving through a county that was at one time a booming place because of coal mines and is now a drug ridden poverty stricken area.

bacha29

In my neck of the rural woods we at one time had a strong manufacturing economy. When they were all off shored or were bought out and moved out the prevailing mindset was," Oh well, we still have the extraction industries." ( Coal,Clay, Timber, Nat Gas). What they failed to remember was that these were bottom of the value added process, raw material productions that were highly cyclical and when they went down which they have they never come back to what they once were if they come back at all. So now they are pretty much done for and the powers that be now want manufacturing to return. It's not going to happen and the grant money designed to bring it back is going away as well.

dezguy

Manufacturing will be completely gone almost like how mining for coal has been essentially phased out.

And trust me its sad driving through a county that was at one time a booming place because of coal mines and is now a drug ridden poverty stricken area.
Replace mining with manufacturing and that's where I live and work.

Used to be a time, if you didn't like your job you quit, walked down the street and had a new job that day. Now, you hang on to what you have no matter how miserable you are. If you quit without having another job lined up, odds are your unemployment is going to run out before you find a new job.

It really is sad, seeing how my community used to be booming with not only jobs but also tourism. Now, nearly half the population is on welfare and the tourist who used to pack our downtown have all found new places to go.

bacha29

My area has spent millions most of it public dollars on what is for the most part a failed attempt to develop and make tourism a viable replacement. A handful of seasonal low paying jobs that didn't even begin to replace what was lost. Worst of all just about everything that could be done has been done with little to show for it and the grant dollars that for the most part that sustained what little gains that were made are going away as well.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Used to be a time, if you didn't like your job you quit, walked down the street and had a new job that day. Now, you hang on to what you have no matter how miserable you are. If you quit without having another job lined up, odds are your unemployment is going to run out before you find a new job.
FedEx is very lucky that most employees have limited options these days, otherwise if we had low unemployment across the USA, turnover would be near 100% unless they severely cleaned up their act.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My area has spent millions most of it public dollars on what is for the most part a failed attempt to develop and make tourism a viable replacement. A handful of seasonal low paying jobs that didn't even begin to replace what was lost. Worst of all just about everything that could be done has been done with little to show for it and the grant dollars that for the most part that sustained what little gains that were made are going away as well.

Our local CoC has done such a great job at drawing manufacturing companies into the area that one of the other organizations (Local Economic Development Poobahs or something of the sort) was formed to build spec buildings in order to lure new factories to the area. Coupled with the standard local and state incentive package, it makes it nearly impossible for a lot of other areas to compete.

bacha29

Sounds to me like you are in another low wage, sweat shop right to work "Christian" state . It all comes down to one question. Would you work for the kind of wages they're paying?

bbsam

Staff member
FedEx is very lucky that most employees have limited options these days, otherwise if we had low unemployment across the USA, turnover would be near 100% unless they severely cleaned up their act.
And if all couriers were millionaires, Fred wouldn't have a workforce.