This is Meat Speaking

bacha29

Our local CoC has done such a great job at drawing manufacturing companies into the area that one of the other organizations (Local Economic Development Poobahs or something of the sort) was formed to build spec buildings in order to lure new factories to the area. Coupled with the standard local and state incentive package, it makes it nearly impossible for a lot of other areas to compete.
Many states are increasingly reluctant to hand out billions in tax and law concessions better known as corporate welfare just to bring in a bunch of low paying jobs that still require subsidy's in the form of Earned Income Credit, reduced school lunches, food stamps, state income tax rebates just to help the people who work those jobs to keep going. Rhode Island discovered that all that is promised doesn't always become reality as was the case with the Schilling fiasco.

bacha29

As you have yourself pointed out, compared to their options, perhaps they do.
As long as Ground contractors continue to be under heavy downward pressure on settlements the pay situation at Ground is not likely to improve. At the barn I was at they continue to barely find enough drivers to fulfill they're daily needs. In fact I was at the terminal the other day and despite knowing that I am recovering from a hip joint replacement while preparing to have the other one replaced there were inquires as to whether or not I could still go out and dump boxes. As long as it remains a long hour, low pay, no benefits , high production demand job they will continue to struggle with finding the type of person they need.

bbsam

Staff member
As long as Ground contractors continue to be under heavy downward pressure on settlements the pay situation at Ground is not likely to improve. At the barn I was at they continue to barely find enough drivers to fulfill they're daily needs. In fact I was at the terminal the other day and despite knowing that I am recovering from a hip joint replacement while preparing to have the other one replaced there were inquires as to whether or not I could still go out and dump boxes. As long as it remains a long hour, low pay, no benefits , high production demand job they will continue to struggle with finding the type of person they need.
Oddly, we haven't been struggling. And yes, I'm as surprised as you at that fact.

dezguy

Yes, it is, but from what I have seen Dano does his best to keep it above board but the 3 Stooges waste no time with the trash talking.
That may be so but I've also noticed, more recently that he/she goes on the attack right away or responds in a way that is going incite an argument.

One of the reasons why I haven't been posting much as of late.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That may be so but I've also noticed, more recently that he/she goes on the attack right away or responds in a way that is going incite an argument.

One of the reasons why I haven't been posting much as of late.

He does seem to have a shorter fuse as of late.

I have little use for Cactus or Van.

MFE has more to offer to this forum than his constant slams on Dano or his long winded impersonations of Fred or MT3.

bacha29

Oddly, we haven't been struggling. And yes, I'm as surprised as you at that fact.
As I said before not all labor markets are the same. In my market contractors are now asking the guys they fired earlier to come back to work for them. Word of mouth travels quickly in the lesser populated areas and word of mouth about ground in my area is not good. Too many people with bad experiences . Likewise the qualified people are going out to work on construction so they can have winters off for hunting season. Combine these conditions with the overall population outflow it only stands to reason why they are asking me about my ability to help them.

vantexan

He does seem to have a shorter fuse as of late.

I have little use for Cactus or Van.

MFE has more to offer to this forum than his constant slams on Dano or his long winded impersonations of Fred or MT3.
Dano constantly tried to marginalized me by talking about conspiracy theories and black helicopters. You recently called me a liar. Name anything that I said that was untrue. And be honest, you've made good money working for UPS and are now a part of the investor class. You don't want to see money that might boost your stock going to employees. Just another "I've got mine" guy.