This Year the PURPLE PROMISE DID NOT HAPPEN

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Drivers were signing up when the economy was booming... Explanation?

That's anecdotal. Perhaps it's true, but I don't imagine someone is going to be willing to drive for $12 per hour when someone else will pay them $15 to do the same thing.

Instead of deflecting, why not address my true intent...the scam itself.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The site isn't allowing editing of posts right now, so this might repeat. But as a Libertarian, how do you feel about Fred S getting a taxpayer-subsidized business model? Many Ground drivers qualify for Public Assistance, and none have any health benefits. How is that the "free market" at work? It isn't, so please defend the Ground business model as an example of economic free enterprise.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... as a Libertarian, how do you feel about Fred S getting a taxpayer-subsidized business model? Many Ground drivers qualify for Public Assistance, and none have any health benefits. How is that the "free market" at work? It isn't, so please defend the Ground business model as an example of economic free enterprise.

Where have you heard me suggesting that the current marketplace dominated by Corporations is a free market.
It is a shame and certainly in what Fred S has done with the Ground business model.

In regards to the compensation that FedEx Ground drivers get ... that does appear to be a free market in action. I would imagine that there is not that big a problem hiring FedEx Ground drivers. A free market is when goods/services (person's time and effort) offered is in equilibrium with price paid (compensation). One could certainly argue that the total compensation received by FedEx Ground drivers is optimal for US society.

bbsam

Staff member
That's anecdotal. Perhaps it's true, but I don't imagine someone is going to be willing to drive for $12 per hour when someone else will pay them $15 to do the same thing.

Instead of deflecting, why not address my true intent...the scam itself.

there are alot of transactions that I view as a scam. Therefore o do not participate on them. Top on that list is the lottery. Second is any other gambling establishment.

bbsam

Staff member
Rationalize it any way you want...Ground is a scam. It takes advantage of a poor economy, and the bottom-rung of workers who have limited choices. I'm glad you can go to sleep at night with a clear green conscience.

it looks as though you too view gambling as a scam taking advantage of folks. Can you see why the business model is here to stay? The government is ass deep in making money off it.

bbsam

Staff member
Actually, you come-off as an elitist ass when you keep trumpeting how great Ground is...when it isn't. Just because you've got a fat wallet these days everything is good...for you. I was trying to be funny here, and that's why I used a fictional country with fictional names. Fiction..get it?

A lot of Ground employees are immigrants that get taken advantage of by the Ground scam. Lots of Russians, Hispanics, and other folks who were not born here and thinking driving for indendured servitude wages are a "good" deal. It's only good for you and Fred, not them.

So, get down off your Green Ground horsie before I kick you off it again.

kick away. You have no respect for Ground drivers at all. You look down on them and ridicule everything about them and are convinced they could never work for Express and yet now you want to ride your stallion to their defense. So when you finally topple the Ground juggernaut, where would you suggest they go? Unemployment? WalMart? What are they qualified to do? You don't really think they merit Express or UPS wages do you?

Goldilocks

kick away. You have no respect for Ground drivers at all. You look down on them and ridicule everything about them and are convinced they could never work for Express and yet now you want to ride your stallion to their defense. So when you finally topple the Ground juggernaut, where would you suggest they go? Unemployment? WalMart? What are they qualified to do? You don't really think they merit Express or UPS wages do you?

BB, I suggest taking your employees out to dinner and treating them with a night of thanks. You sound like a good guy. This is how Fred started out with us. He treated us like family....Do it and you will be very successful....

Goldilocks

The ISP's always throw a party in early January.

Fred use to throw us parties that were off the chain. The nicest hotels, formal dress, all you can eat prime rib, seafood or anything you may like, open bar, comedians, I think we had Galligar once, live bands and live big screens with fred and family. Not saying that most companies can do this now but, it brings unity within your reach. Try to go off the chain for your people, they will be right by your side until the end....JMO....

bbsam

Staff member
Ours our low key events with people a bit tired of anything having to do with Fedex and many wanting to spend a couple hours and go he to their families. I'm in that crowd.myself.

STFXG

Try an amusement park. Everyone only meets up for lunch and then off to play with the families. Makes it feel less mandatory to hang with the coworkers but is also time spent away from the "office". Just a suggestion.

Goldilocks

Ours our low key events with people a bit tired of anything having to do with Fedex and many wanting to spend a couple hours and go he to their families. I'm in that crowd.myself.

I here ya, but always remember, they are your backbone. Give them what they deserve...They will in return be loyal to you....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Most Ground drivers couldn't make-it at Express.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most Ground drivers couldn't make-it at Express.

While I do agree that there would be a steep learning curve I do not agree that most Ground drivers couldn't make it at Express.

One of our local Ground drivers is named John. John is not the most motivated individual I have ever met but he does a good job and takes care of his customer. I actually feel sorry for John---I see him already out delivering as I am driving to work and see him at the Express station transferring work as I am driving home. I know that if John were to be hired at UPS and were to ride with me for a week that he would have no problem covering my area.

MaineGroundDriver

Reading some of these comments is ridiculous .. I am a GROUND driver .. I am NOT an immigrant .. I make roughly $15 an hour .. I get to listen to my radio/mp3 player etc .. I don't have management breathing down my neck .. as long as I follow the rules and provide quality service to my customers, while getting everything delivered in a timely fashion, I'm left alone and have the freedom to do my deliveries in whatever fashion I want (of course, while getting to my business customers in the general time they are accustom to me being there) ..

To me these freedoms are worth more than a few extra bucks an hour I'd make working for UPS or Express ..

Also, my contractor took us all out for a great fancy dinner right before peak began, drinks on him as well .. he's also taken us all out for breakfast a few times during peak to keep morale high .. he has handed out bonuses .. he has done a fine job keeping his drivers happy, providing enough extra help to get us home before supper EVERY night, etc ..

It's my CHOICE to, I guess, be part of this "scam" .. to be "taken advantage of" .. and seeing the stress on the Express drivers' faces this peak, I'll continue to make the same choice and stay where I'm "not appreciated" ..