Time off/attendance issues

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What I find hysterical is a PTer who thinks he/she is important enough that their absence would have an affect on Peak.
I never said that....I merely repeated what my center manager said to me. Be sure to have the Batphone tuned up and ready to go for your next vacation...you'd hate to miss a call from your center manager asking you to come into work.

Nimnim

The Nim
If by "getting called out", you mean a member I've never had any interactions with that I can recall, butting in and feeling the need to tell me which words I should and shouldn't use in reference to someone else? The "someone else" in question who hurls more derogatory names at certain members than i ever have?? Incidentally, where were you when he called me a buddyh or Cosmo a ____??? Please, spare me the lecture.

If I don't see it, I can't say anything about it. Simple as that. This thread is about helping someone with a medical issue and time off regarding it. I saw your post that potentially violates 6 in the TOS, and provided nothing towards the OP. I chose to interject and call out the issue in an, admittedly bad way, but I guess it'd be easier to just use the report function and let the mods decide if anything wrong has been done.

For the record we have interacted numerous times in the past, but I suppose since I don't engage in the same sophomoric discussions you do often it's easy to forget me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If I don't see it, I can't say anything about it. Simple as that. This thread is about helping someone with a medical issue and time off regarding it. I saw your post that potentially violates 6 in the TOS, and provided nothing towards the OP. I chose to interject and call out the issue in an, admittedly bad way, but I guess it'd be easier to just use the report function and let the mods decide if anything wrong has been done.

For the record we have interacted numerous times in the past, but I suppose since I don't engage in the same sophomoric discussions you do often it's easy to forget me.
As far as the interactions....I doubt it. I'd surely remember someone like
yourself...believe me. Regardless....have a nice day!

Nimnim

The Nim
As far as the interactions....I doubt it. I'd surely remember someone like
yourself...believe me. Regardless....have a nice day!

I think you mean irregardless.
th_102_.gif

Yep, gotta get some sleep before going to work, can't post here all the time.

ups1990

When my wife was In the hospital,giving birth to our first child. she was having some real serious issues.
My mother in law,called the center,several times (no cell phones or DIAD communication back then). The little spineless prick that ran the center,made no effort to contact me.
Fortunately I had given my mother in law,a few of my pick ups phone numbers.

the one customer she called,actually sent one of his employees to go find me.
I took the truck back to the building and went off on my center manager.

He didnt have one word to say.
I really hated that PRICK, their is a special place in HELL for him.
Not surprising from a managerial point . We know how certain managers can behave at times but it amazes me the many customers on route who genuinely care about us drivers.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not to sound cold, but would delaying the appointment by a week or so have made that much of a difference?
I really dont know, but I had intermittent leave, my husband was lucky to be alive, his appointment was peak day, I did not mull it over much. I am a truck driver, not a cardiologist, or an oncologist. When you are dealing with these types of dieases, they dont really care that its your "busy" season. Appointments are hard to get and it is about life. Boxes vs life= I went with him.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The heart missing a beat and the high blood pressure had me a little concerned. The dentist not so much. Anyway, my point is there are ways around missing the whole day.
yes I guess if you have a hemorhoid, or a bad tooth, or a headache. But the earliest appointment at his cardio was 830, it is an hour away, and home is an hour more., and then if you dont get in at 830, because the surgeon gets called to save someones life, you may be there til after noon. In my case it was better to say, not gonna be there. I stand my my decision, and ups did just fine without me, as they always will without anyone. You are not that important on the food chain, trust me. In any job description.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
yes I guess if you have a hemorhoid, or a bad tooth, or a headache. But the earliest appointment at his cardio was 830, it is an hour away, and home is an hour more., and then if you dont get in at 830, because the surgeon gets called to save someones life, you may be there til after noon. In my case it was better to say, not gonna be there. I stand my my decision, and ups did just fine without me, as they always will without anyone. You are not that important on the food chain, trust me. In any job description.

Tooner, you did the right thing. Family is way more important than a bunch of boxes.

My wife went into labor with our first at 7:00 AM on the 24th of December my second year at UPS.

You should have heard the crying when I called off!:)

aiian

Let me preface this by saying that I have zero knowledge on this subject. Sure, I could Google it and become an "expert", but the truth is I have never known anyone who has had to deal with melanoma.

That being said... <snip>

Before this year I might have agreed with you.

I didn't necessarily burn all of my option days on this but I definitely finished them off. I probably had four or five different appointments before the surgery for biopsies, re biopsies, and consultations, etc.

As far as taking the three weeks off it was more for letting the skin graft 'take' than anything. They took a chunk the size of a nickel out and my nose & neck and if it didn't take the only other option would be to cut a piece from my forehead and flap it down (his words) to my nose. I've since had two more chunks taken off of my shoulder and foot and have been back the next day.

The doc wanted me to keep it moist and clean for a month without a bandage, I shouldn't have to tell you how impossible that would be in a package car. I took a month via FMLA and was back to work in three weeks.

So basically... wrong on a points :raspberry: I'll upload a picture of my nose two weeks after to give you an idea of what I was supposed to keep moist and clean while working.
photo 1-1.JPG

I really dont know, but I had intermittent leave, my husband was lucky to be alive, his appointment was peak day, I did not mull it over much. I am a truck driver, not a cardiologist, or an oncologist. When you are dealing with these types of dieases, they dont really care that its your "busy" season. Appointments are hard to get and it is about life. Boxes vs life= I went with him.
How is he doing now?

Tooner, you did the right thing. Family is way more important than a bunch of boxes.

My wife went into labor with our first at 7:00 AM on the 24th of December my second year at UPS.

You should have heard the crying when I called off!:)
The best move you never had to think about. You were showing signs of being a great father even before it happened.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Before this year I might have agreed with you.

I didn't necessarily burn all of my option days on this but I definitely finished them off. I probably had four or five different appointments before the surgery for biopsies, re biopsies, and consultations, etc.

As far as taking the three weeks off it was more for letting the skin graft 'take' than anything. They took a chunk the size of a nickel out and my nose & neck and if it didn't take the only other option would be to cut a piece from my forehead and flap it down (his words) to my nose. I've since had two more chunks taken off of my shoulder and foot and have been back the next day.

The doc wanted me to keep it moist and clean for a month without a bandage, I shouldn't have to tell you how impossible that would be in a package car. I took a month via FMLA and was back to work in three weeks.

So basically... wrong on a points :raspberry: I'll upload a picture of my nose two weeks after to give you an idea of what I was supposed to keep moist and clean while working.
View attachment 15425

Somewhere, I have a picture of the side of my face when they did MOHS surgery to remove a basal cell carcinoma.

I should get checked again. My sister, like my mother, has had numerous basal cells and melanomas removed over the years.

Make sure. You have a good dermatologist, and maybe ask about Merkel cell. It's particularly nasty.

Good luck, and don't pay attention to Dave.