Time to get route, new contract question

kramer

How long does it take to get your own route? Im in a large center with 300+ drivers.

And also, since im in the process qualifying right now, if i make my 30 after the new contract is the new one going to apply to me or the one that is in place now. I feel like theyre making this qualifying process as slow as possible on purpose and probably wont have 30 punches until the end of the year.

IESucks

How long does it take to get your own route? Im in a large center with 300+ drivers.

And also, since im in the process qualifying right now, if i make my 30 after the new contract is the new one going to apply to me or the one that is in place now. I feel like theyre making this qualifying process as slow as possible on purpose and probably wont have 30 punches until the end of the year.
No one knows, each new contract applies to everyone

kramer

They keep saying work will pick up in the summer, but its already may. They're just stringing me along, i know that. I work at UPS. but is there really nothing i can do. The contract says that there has to always be a training route open, but they always cut it due to volume

IESucks

They keep saying work will pick up in the summer, but its already may. They're just stringing me along, i know that. I work at UPS. but is there really nothing i can do. The contract says that there has to always be a training route open, but they always cut it due to volume
They don't string you along. They use you when work warrants it. Period. No one at ups is worried about ur 30 days except you.

purehavanne

You will work every day if you go to the guys who like to go home and learn their routes. Instead of going home everyday jump on a truck and learn routes. In my center the sups don’t even know the routes so there’s no training to be done. That’s your responsibility. I’d rather learn from the guys who’ve been doing the route for 15 years than a 15 day driving sup.

barnyard

KTM rider

It is all covered in the new contract. You will find out then.

old levi's

blank space

It took me ten years to get a route, after 12 years of preload. But, every center is different.

Anthonysg0113

It took me ten years to get a route, after 12 years of preload. But, every center is different.

Damn brother, I thought 9yrs preload was bad!! I tip my hat to you!!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
only the top 10 hubs have 300 or more routes in place.
Good news though is that many routes are quite dense, so learning an entire loop of 18 routes is not as daunting as it would first appear.

Our large center has roughly 5 years until you get your own route, but that number could go lower as it appears old-timers are starting to retire en-masse.

Qualify first and worry about the rest rest later
Maybe you can get a part time flex route like @Future

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Signed a bid for a route, been on the same route for 6 years. Also had 5 years loading semi trailers part time. It all depends on a number of factors for getting a route, retiring drivers, package car drivers moving to feeders. People quitting which does not happen that much when you are a route driver more likely getting fired. I know drivers in my center who are cover drivers still and have more seniority then I do. It all depends on a lot of things just worry about your 30 days and we will talk about a route later hit shot. Dont run before you learn to crawl as they say.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I’m 42 with 22 years in, did pre-load for 3 years. Got my first bid 5 years later, it was a route no one wanted but consistency is priceless. At this point my route is definitely what I’d label a cherry route. It’s all resi outside of my wineries and two golf courses.

summersaltstains

Damn how did you old timers work the preload for so long? My 3 months on the preload felt like a decade. Driving for UPS is a great opportunity but I can't imagine it being worth a decade on the preload, unless it was better in the past.