Tips for avoiding injury

SLW

I'm pretty new to this, already hurtin, and want to make sure that if and when I retire, I do it intact. Clearly, the PCM warmup is not enough.

What are some things you do to protect yourself? Seen others do successfully? Injuries you've got that the doctor said, "Well, you should/shouldn't have been doing this?"

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
3 points of contact it a must. Square you shoulders when you close and open the bulk door. Don’t just yank it as your stepping out, good way to mess up your shoulder. Lift with your power zone. Use a two wheeler instead of being macho and carrying stuff etc. just be smart about the work you do.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm pretty new to this, already hurtin, and want to make sure that if and when I retire, I do it intact. Clearly, the PCM warmup is not enough.

What are some things you do to protect yourself? Seen others do successfully? Injuries you've got that the doctor said, "Well, you should/shouldn't have been doing this?"
Lift weights and good shoes help.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I did pull a muscle one time lifting a dolly one time. dollies , chains , sometime load transfers . so i did go to the gym .
yes, it was hard to keep the weight off because of working graveyard and sleeping days.
I didn't lift weight but went swimming laps about 3 times a week. would bring salads and fruits for work for the week and then would eat normal meals on the weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I did pull a muscle one time lifting a dolly one time. dollies , chains , sometime load transfers . so i did go to the gym .
yes, it was hard to keep the weight off because of working graveyard and sleeping days.
I didn't lift weight but went swimming laps about 3 times a week. would bring salads and fruits for work for the week and then would eat normal meals on the weekends.
How heavy are those dollies?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
It’s impossible to remain in the “power zone”, UPS will destroy your body and intimidate you not to turn any injury in..

Babagounj

Strength through joy
#1 tip; do not work for UPS.
It is brutal,back breaking work.
Find another line of work , so that when you finally retire , you can actually enjoy it.

GenericUsername

Stretch at home, not just the PCM. Stretch throughout the day. Don't rush yourself. Be decisive in your movements. Don't jerk when lifting or twist stupidly. If you have to get on a knee to get a package out from under a shelf, do that instead of bending or squatting. Wear good shoes. Eat healthier (something I'm terrible at), drink plenty of water... There's a ton of things they preach daily that actually do work. Find a good way to also get rid of your stress, whether it's a physical activity after work or some sort of mental exercises. I play competitive video games at night. For those in the know, I used to be LEM in CS:GO and Masters/low GM in Overwatch. Don't just sit on the couch, do something.