Tips on being a Driver Helper?

Heavy Package

Haven't learned the DIAD yet but its looking promising.

Give it time, young grasshopper.

quote-tell-me-and-i-forget-teach-me-and-i-remember-involve-me-and-i-learn-xunzi-10-18-81.jpg

Bad Gas!

Helper tips: 1) Must be able to run a 4.5 second 40 yard dash 2) No talking unless spoken to 3) Be on time to meet point which means you need to be 5 min early. 4) If you are slow and miss 1 day you are out.5) Bring a snack and water6). Poop before work and hold your pee.7) As a driver, I'm the quarterback and you are the running back 8)No stupid talking to customers unless you have approval from the the quarterback

IESucks

Third month of UPS so far, just joined the union. Doing preload in the sort aisle as well as loading trucks on Saturdays. I recently started doing driver helper and I like it. Haven't learned the DIAD yet but its looking promising. The extra hours are really helping me out (when they remember to punch in my hours lol) and I wanna know any advice you guys have to really be good at this.
Don't go to college and be desperate

Brandon5658

Helper tips: 1) Must be able to run a 4.5 second 40 yard dash 2) No talking unless spoken to 3) Be on time to meet point which means you need to be 5 min early. 4) If you are slow and miss 1 day you are out.5) Bring a snack and water6). Poop before work and hold your pee.7) As a driver, I'm the quarterback and you are the running back 8)No stupid talking to customers unless you have approval from the the quarterback
See I just leave from the hub with the driver lol. And also if I miss a day they dont care because I ask to do it, it aint necessarily my main job. But yeah I mainly follow that other stuff

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I was a helper last week for all the Prime day stuff, too.
Regular helper pay ($15/hr, but I got a bit of OT).

OP, here's my advice:

1. ALWAYS show up 10 minutes early to your meet point. Easy enough to do, but you don't wanna have your driver waiting. Not a good way to get off on the right foot.
2. Learn how to use the diad. It's not hard. (After all, drivers can do it. ;)) You make yourself more valuable to the drivers that way, and they'll want to keep you around.
3. DON'T be a driver helper for the drivers you load for. They might be great guys, but when the inevitable package comes that you put on the wrong shelf, or left in the back of the truck shows up, they need their space to cuss their loader out.
4. Hustle. I run, which isn't safe, and I don't advise. But it makes you a valuable commodity. If you make your goal getting your driver done and home to his/her family quickly, you'll make friends fast. I've had drivers offer me money to switch over and run for them.
5. Be proactive. Don't sit around, and wait for your driver to give you work. If your driver starts sorting in the back, ask if you can help. Try to be of use to him, so that you are actually helping. Again. They'll want you around, more.
6. Drink/eat sparingly. Enough not to die, but as has already been stated above, drivers gotta hit numbers. If you slow them down, you become a nuisance, instead of a help.

All I can think of at the moment, but if you've got any questions, OP, I'll be happy to give my best shot. If you can just make all those I've listed, you'll be one of the best Driver Helpers in your building.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I was a helper last week for all the Prime day stuff, too.
Regular helper pay ($15/hr, but I got a bit of OT).
3. DON'T be a driver helper for the drivers you load for. They might be great guys, but when the inevitable package comes that you put on the wrong shelf, or left in the back of the truck shows up, they need their space to cuss their loader out.

Haha, I plan on only going out with my regular drivers. We will tear it up in the back like driver helper
I've worked hard to sync up with them as much as I can without actually going on route. A lot of unpaid time studying maps and memorizing most of the bulk/daily shoppers, differentiate between apt, store, apt above a store, store inside of an apt, the whole 9 yards. I could be eating my words here in a few months but knowing what the next stops are and where they are should be a piece of cake for both of us.

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
See I just leave from the hub with the driver lol. And also if I miss a day they dont care because I ask to do it, it aint necessarily my main job. But yeah I mainly follow that other stuff
So they just cool you ask for days off? I have somebody who is on a mission to last for 30 years and they would throw a fit if they could not have me for even one damn day. Special request to put tops of overweights on the middle shelves due to a supposedly bad back.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Haha, I plan on only going out with my regular drivers. We will tear it up in the back like driver helper
I've worked hard to sync up with them as much as I can without actually going on route. A lot of unpaid time studying maps and memorizing most of the bulk/daily shoppers, differentiate between apt, store, apt above a store, store inside of an apt, the whole 9 yards. I could be eating my words here in a few months but knowing what the next stops are and where they are should be a piece of cake for both of us.

No, you don’t need to memorize bulk stops or apartments

You are there for one reason to go as fast as possible from pkg car to house

And to not jabber like an idiot all day