Tired of delivering Pottery Barn boxes

upsman415

I hate seeing all this oversize Pottery Barn boxes in my truck. The other day just delivered 10 big PB boxes for one person. The problem with the PB boxes they are all oversize. Whatever happen to measuring the boxes. I hate specially the PB rugs i get. Its to akward to put on your dolly. Let me know if you guys have this problem also. Peace...

Overpaid Union Thug

I hate seeing all this oversize Pottery Barn boxes in my truck. The other day just delivered 10 big PB boxes for one person. The problem with the PB boxes they are all oversize. Whatever happen to measuring the boxes. I hate specially the PB rugs i get. Its to akward to put on your dolly. Let me know if you guys have this problem also. Peace...

I went to an "upscale mall" in the Nashville area recently and they had a Pottery Barn there. My wife tried to drag me in there. It looked like they had allot of nice things but when I looked up and saw the name of the store I just cringed. I decided to go browse the Apple Store while she looked in the Pottery Barn. I just didn't want to go in there.

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
Your right!! What are we a furniture delivery company? The sheer size of them makes you have to deliver that stop right after all your air stops because you'll have liitle or no room to work otherwise. What gets me also is when these "LADIES" return half the stuff the next day, because we either damaged the oversized crap or its the wrong item or whatever I hope UPS makes a profit on this stuff because it sure uses up a lot of company resources to make one bulk delivery.:confused:1

brownman15

Your right!! What are we a furniture delivery company? The sheer size of them makes you have to deliver that stop right after all your air stops because you'll have liitle or no room to work otherwise. What gets me also is when these "LADIES" return half the stuff the next day, because we either damaged the oversized crap or its the wrong item or whatever I hope UPS makes a profit on this stuff because it sure uses up a lot of company resources to make one bulk delivery.:confused:1
totally agree or how the people that wnt you to put it upstairs in their bedroom even had i women ask if i was going to put it together

diesel96

Don't forget 14 seconds per box to squeeze them thru the bulk head door and cab door!!Now you got to lug it to the front door with multple trips.But no,this should'nt effect your time study....NOT. One time long ago we were known as a small pkg company.

maybrown

is not a woman
It reminded me UPS should charge customer "per floor". One living on top floor has all furniture that delivered by me. They treat us like a "moving company".

lost

Well I am not a driver... However I do get the pleasure of trying to get PB into a package car.. Our problem on preload is that we are not allowed to stack anything out except RDL,RDR &RDC according to sort mgmt, but we all know how hard it is to work around PB inside that little package car. Home Interior is starting to become a pain for us too. I feel for you drivers daily when I see the cars so full you can't find much of anything. Preload does not have a choice we have to follow those magic words.... MAKE IT FIT.. Yeah, sure come show me how!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
totally agree or how the people that wnt you to put it upstairs in their bedroom even had i women ask if i was going to put it together

I've had a customer ask a favor..If I could swing by later and get the empty PB boxes.....I said RRRRIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTT!

diamond1

If you don't want to deliver packages, what the hell did you sign up for? quit yer bitchin, suck it up and deal. Or get out and let somebody who knows how fortunate they are to have a job do the work.

diamond1

If you don't want to deliver packages, what the hell did you think you signed up for? Quit yer bitchin, suck it up and deal or quit and make room for someone who appreciates the opportunity to work to do your job.

browniehound

As you probably already know, there is no size restriction for the Pottery Barn account. My guess then is, UPS is making some money from PB, unlike Dell with their 3 delivery attempts.

I, too, hate Pottery Barn. If you end up with an eight foot by five foot package on your car one day you are screwed. You can't make it your first stop because it won't fit through the bulk head, and you can't get it out the back because you are so bulked out on your normal RDR, RDL, and RDC stops. Now you have to sqeeze your body around this oversized package just to get to your airs and after that your squeezing through to get your 1000 and 2000 sections off.

Do we get a time allowance element called "climbing over pottery barn volume"? I think not. Just another element the UPS driver is getting screwed in time allowances.

upsgrunt

If you don't want to deliver packages, what the hell did you sign up for? quit yer bitchin, suck it up and deal. Or get out and let somebody who knows how fortunate they are to have a job do the work.

Your screen name says it all! When you get to be a "man" and are not young and dumb maybe I'll take what you say to heart, but until you've done the job that we're talking about for more than a year then you have no room to talk. Walk a mile in our shoes before you spout off!!

As you probably already know, there is no size restriction for the Pottery Barn account. My guess then is, UPS is making some money from PB, unlike Dell with their 3 delivery attempts.

I, too, hate Pottery Barn. If you end up with an eight foot by five foot package on your car one day you are screwed. You can't make it your first stop because it won't fit through the bulk head, and you can't get it out the back because you are so bulked out on your normal RDR, RDL, and RDC stops. Now you have to sqeeze your body around this oversized package just to get to your airs and after that your squeezing through to get your 1000 and 2000 sections off.

Do we get a time allowance element called "climbing over pottery barn volume"? I think not. Just another element the UPS driver is getting screwed in time allowances.

A few Pottery Barn packages are no big deal....Much easier than a 4 hour stop of Dell desktops or even Gateways. There is no time allowance for a 4 hour stop.

upsgrunt

A few Pottery Barn packages are no big deal....Much easier than a 4 hour stop of Dell desktops or even Gateways. There is no time allowance for a 4 hour stop.

I'm not calling you a liar, but a whole feeder full of computers wouldn't take 4 hours would it? I've had a student move in on the third floor and get about 50 boxes and it only took about an hour; thats 3 or 4 on the cart for each trip up the 3 flights of stairs. ( I slept extra well that night!)

Griff

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't have a pottery barn box on the truck. I used to run all over during or after my NDA trace to try to get them off, now I purposely leave them on and use it as an excuse to go over 9.5. I do the trip as I would do it without them in the way, usually climb ontop of the boxes all day long, they look great when i finally deliver them.

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
Well I am not a driver... However I do get the pleasure of trying to get PB into a package car.. Our problem on preload is that we are not allowed to stack anything out except RDL,RDR &RDC according to sort mgmt, but we all know how hard it is to work around PB inside that little package car. Home Interior is starting to become a pain for us too. I feel for you drivers daily when I see the cars so full you can't find much of anything. Preload does not have a choice we have to follow those magic words.... MAKE IT FIT.. Yeah, sure come show me how!
I agree with your vaild points. In general our system of buildings, trucks, conveyer belts, irreg carts, platform for loading etc.. has not been kept updated enough to handle this account and others like it. I mean the irregs in the morning alone are a complete mess in my building not to mention the pass system and the dispatch by computer joke that has become of most centers. We choke on COSTCO tires and FRONTGATE is another account that slows up our preload. Our trucks are about 2 inches apart, I have to climb through two other cabs just two get in my package car or walk about 40 yards around and up on the belt climbing over the preloaders work to go in the back. Why because they stack package cars tight just to put all these irregs close to the belts. I'm not bitchin about the work! Just give us the right tools for the job and half a chance to get out of the building on time. Hell, our hand trucks/dollys are cheaper and smaller than they used to be. We all go above and beyond what is needed to overcome these oversized obstacles because that is what we are faced with but I wonder how much better we could do with newer buildings and equipment.

Griff

How about Quill paper? One day I had 40 boxes (60 lbs for each). I must bring to 1st floors by stairs! It counted 1 stop!!!

Isn't it amazing how the places that get heavy/annoying packages are always dockless commercial buildings or houses with 800 foot driveways that you can't get back into because of wires or trees? It's some sort of unwritten universal UPS driver law.

I'm not calling you a liar, but a whole feeder full of computers wouldn't take 4 hours would it? I've had a student move in on the third floor and get about 50 boxes and it only took about an hour; thats 3 or 4 on the cart for each trip up the 3 flights of stairs. ( I slept extra well that night!)

If you have 90 to 120 computer boxes (4 or 5 on a cart) going to the 55th floor (If you have 2 carts 8 or 10 a trip) load them up, wheel them to the freight elev. (hopefully you were able to park at the loading dock) Wait for the freight. (hopefully you can fit both carts on the elevator, and you you arn't waiting in line.) Stop 2 or 3 times on the way up. Goto the mailroom or reception on the 55th floor, find out they want them on the 57th floor. Wait for the freight again, goto the 57th floor. Wheel them down the maze of hallways, unload them. Wait for the frieght again, head back down, stopping 3 or 4 times. Reload and go up again. If you only have one handtruck this takes up to 4 hours. 2 1/2 hours with 2 carts at a time. (average about 15 or 20 minutes a trip) The time adds up.

upsgrunt

If you have 90 to 120 computer boxes (4 or 5 on a cart) going to the 55th floor (If you have 2 carts 8 or 10 a trip) load them up, wheel them to the freight elev. (hopefully you were able to park at the loading dock) Wait for the freight. (hopefully you can fit both carts on the elevator, and you you arn't waiting in line.) Stop 2 or 3 times on the way up. Goto the mailroom or reception on the 55th floor, find out they want them on the 57th floor. Wait for the freight again, goto the 57th floor. Wheel them down the maze of hallways, unload them. Wait for the frieght again, head back down, stopping 3 or 4 times. Reload and go up again. If you only have one handtruck this takes up to 4 hours. 2 1/2 hours with 2 carts at a time. (average about 15 or 20 minutes a trip) The time adds up.

OK you win!! I understand where you are coming from. Our center is small; the tallest building only has 14 floors!!!!:tongue_sm