To the few automotive guys here....

Redtag_tech

I don’t know how honest these answer are going to be. But I’m a new hire, and I’m the only tech in the building. I had a guy helping me out in the beginning and I haven’t really seen him here since. But my fleet is about 58 package trucks 1 shifter and 6 tp60’s. Does that sound normal for one guy at a building. What’s your fleet number wise in package trucks/ feeders??

Ngreenwv

I’m the only mechanic at my shop and I hover around 50 total units it’s a lot to keep up with alone trying to take care of everything ordering paperwork etc I’m not sure if there’s really a number of cars per mechanic rule but I think it’s something that needs looked into

BradOcean

28-(corrected) for me and 27 for the other mechanic in my building. I was once told that 30-35 units is UPSs threshold for one mechanic, this came from an automotive district managers mouth. How well they keep to those numbers seems to be a different story for most others.

Where has this “helper” gone? Definitely would ask your supervisor what’s up, and ask him how many cars is a recommended work load for one mechanic. If it’s lower than you have ask why they haven’t hired someone else.

Last edited:

Redtag_tech

Well I sent a email to my union rep, cause the shop Stewart’s at least in my building don’t know anything about automotive. I find it way to high. And having my hours to 8 hoursa day is almost impossible to keep up. Is this a nationwide thing also with the 8 hour days/nights? Oh and the email I sent to the rep is for info to see if he can get a region est. of the avg amount of trucks per tech around me.

Redtag_tech

The helper is a “floater”. He’s suppose to cover 2 buildings but I would say he hasn’t been to my building to help since feb.

I have asked the other guy/ tech what’s up when am I going to get some help here. And he’s like the other building that has 8 techs already have a huge problem with red tags.

BradOcean

Well I sent a email to my union rep, cause the shop Stewart’s at least in my building don’t know anything about automotive. I find it way to high. And having my hours to 8 hoursa day is almost impossible to keep up. Is this a nationwide thing also with the 8 hour days/nights? Oh and the email I sent to the rep is for info to see if he can get a region est. of the avg amount of trucks per tech around me.

What district are you?

BradOcean

No, I’m not asking for specifics. You are in the same district as me and all the hubs within 100 miles of me have around 30-35 cars per mechanic. Some more, some less but not 60 like you have. And I may be just full of crap, or an exception, but that seems unfair.

Redtag_tech

No, I’m not asking for specifics. You are in the same district as me and all the hubs within 100 miles of me have around 30-35 cars per mechanic. Some more, some less but not 60 like you have. And I may be just full of crap, or an exception, but that seems unfair.

I’m going to wait and see what this rep tells me. And see if he even gets numbers from around here like you have.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I’m going to wait and see what this rep tells me. And see if he even gets numbers from around here like you have.

What will that do ?

If the number of vehicles is too much to keep up with.... let the company

worry about that. You can only turn so many wrench's a day, in 8 hrs.

Redtag_tech

When I have the sup sending me emails with quotes like, how did the fleet end up like this? Or do you treat your own vehicles like this? How am I suppose to answer that? I’ve never had to deal with this stupidity before. Cause In a real shop no grow man would talk to another man like that without knowing he’s going to get punched.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When I have the sup sending me emails with quotes like, how did the fleet end up like this? Or do you treat your own vehicles like this?

He's trying to establish a paper trail with e-mails, to try and cover for himself.

Don't give detailed responses.... and you would be happy to explain in person.

I’ve never had to deal with this stupidity before. Cause In a real shop no grow man would talk to another man like that without knowing he’s going to get punched.

No doubt about that.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
When I have the sup sending me emails with quotes like, how did the fleet end up like this? Or do you treat your own vehicles like this? How am I suppose to answer that? I’ve never had to deal with this stupidity before. Cause In a real shop no grow man would talk to another man like that without knowing he’s going to get punched.
Tell them to talk to you in a respectful tone and with dignity.
Otherwise ignore him.
Union Members are to be treated with utmost dignity and respect at all times during interactions with Management.

BradOcean

Red tags get a lot of attention, they are seen by your supe, his boss the manager, and the managers boss the district manager. What I mean is red tag anything that is legit safety related and every time they bring up why so many red tags refer to keeping the drivers safe and needing help with repairs. Number one priority is keeping the drivers and the public safe every day, if a car has a safety related problem never ever ever let anyone pressure you to let it run. Your supe sounds like a very difficult person to work under already, that’s not acceptable for him to talk to you like you are a dog. That’s a whole different can of worms that needs to be squashed, tough love would be you need to stand up for yourself, and request help. In the meantime work as hard as you can, this might be a uphill fight for a while.

Redtag_tech

The problem is he’s a new sup. The old sup that hired me quit. He even told me he had it with Ups and feels bad with what’s coming to us techs. I even told the new sup (in person not email) that this is BS. You having me stuff 10lbs of :censored2: in a 1 pound bag. I don’t think he likes that. And it doesn’t help either what I heard. Brad if your in Florida, that conference call we had and the sup and manager saying they have tech doing 15 minute brakes jobs. :censored2:ing brown nosing techs talking :censored2:. If only everyone would keep :censored2: to them selfs. Management doesn’t need to know anything we can and can’t do. If I can do a engine swap in 8 hours I keep it to my self. Cause the next one I might not be able to or not want to do that. Just stfu. That’s how warranty time at dealerships get :censored2:. Everyone bragging about how “fast” they can do a job.

rod

Retired 22 years
Do what you can--red tag the rest--go home. Sometimes management needs swatted upside the head with a 2 X 4 before they wake up.

BradOcean

We (techs) don’t do conference calls here. Me and the other tech at my building talk to our direct supe and no one else. Our supe has conference calls but we have nothing to do with it. The numbers are managements problem, that’s how it’s supposed to work. You just have to put in an honest days work. Any other techs time it takes to do a job has nothing to do with you.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
50 plus trucks is alot. I am in a large hub and my assigned fleet is 31 trucks. We do have a few one man shop centers attached to us and those guys have around 42 or so..

When I first saw your username I was like

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg