To those who attended their contract meeting

upsgrunt

Ok- I've heard 103.6, 80, and 64 percent funded, but ridiculed when I claimed that 710 was in the green- over 100.
See how a guy could be very confused?

pretender

Central States is responsible for payments for credits earned starting at Normal Retirement Age (65). UPS will only offset this amount until age 65 - after that if Central States is unable to continue payments from their pension fund UPS will NOT offset any reduction.

UPS bought their way OUT of CS - do you all really think they will continue to subsidize it? 6 Billion - paid and done and a promise to carry members CS credits until age 65.

I reread it and I believe you are right--Thanks

Pull your head out of the sand....
It's not in the sand sweetheart. If central states goes belly up which it will ups is on the hook for the remainder to offset the pension protection guarantee fund. It was for members in this contract and the next. That's about as good as it gets. We all live contra t to contract.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Really STINK? Does your local have you on a intravenous. drip bag of BULLCHITT?

If it came down to a stike ( that nobody wants) then that aspect falls onto the COMPANY, not our members. We work hard, we work long hours, we get injured. For those sacrifices, you want to accept concessions while the company spends millions of dollars on a ferrari race team?

You attempt to compare apples to oranges with the suggestion of our pay vs FEDEX. FEDEX drivers dont work HALF as hard as the typical UPS driver. FEDEX drivers have to take mandatory 2 or 3 hour lunches on some days. FEDEX drivers are heading in to the hub before 6pm while guys like me still have 70 stops left at 6pm. I MAKE MORE THAN A FEDEX DRIVER because I EARN IT.

You are either out of your freaking mind or simply out of touch with reality or you have your head so far up your B.A.'s rear end you cant get a breath of fresh air.

Are you really this dense?

I could care less about UPS losing money on UPS freight. Thats their problem. They decided to jump into the LTL business, not the members.

We are the highest paid workers in the nation because we are the most worked workers in the nation. Show me another delivery company working its members 12 hours a day 5 days a week. Show me another delivery company that gives its drivers over 200 stops a day with pickups. Show me another delivery company that requires its drivers to achieve such high production standards. Show me another delivery company whos trucks are so blown out they cant even walk down the middle of the isle and have to climb over boxes just to find ONE BOX. Show me another small package delivery company going to a mall and staying there making deliveries from 930am to 900pm everyday.

The problem with guys like you STINK, is that you are incapable of calculating reality. You rely on what you are told by whoever is fingering your sphinter and moving your lips.

Every local went to the two man meeting and voted BEFORE they addressed the membership. Its called union politics. None of them are smarter than you are.

They all play big shots , but look at what we got.

hall and HOFFA both stated clearly and forcefully, that "WE WILL NOT ALLOW OUR MEMBERS TO PAY 90 dollars, 9 dollars or 9 cents"... this was the battlecry for months. THEN , as they turned on a dime and left 9 cents change for us, they SCREWED us by offering the company an opportunity to take away OUR health care benefits.

Brother HALL was right, we werent going to spend 90/9/.09, instead, we are going to pay in the THOUSANDS!

You have been asked several times by ME, and many others to JUSTIFY your position for a yes vote, and you cannot put two words together to do so.

You throw in amazon and zappos as some kind of threat to us, but listen carefully, PHUQUE both those companies. IF THEY WALK, then thats on UPS for even starting this mess. Will it hurt? You bet your puppet a$h it will, but maybe then, the company will not attempt these kinds of negotiations with its employees.

Both Zappos and Amazon know that UPS is a profitable company and in a position to settle its labor issues without sacrificing its customers and the threat isnt against the members, but rather against the corporation for attempting to disrupt a peaceful working relationship.

I WILL GLADLY walk to maintain my benefits and those benefits of my brothers and sisters who would be greatly affected. I WILL GLADLY walk for my part time brothers and sisters who are being screwed for another year longer with this contract. I WILL WALK to take back the $15K that EVERY part time worker will lose when promoted to full time because of the extension of progression.

I could care less if amazon ever came back. I could care less if Scott D. had to go to Amazon and personally kneel in front of Jeff Bezos and handle business just to get packages back into the system, thats just a position he put himself in when he took on the membership.

I voted for HOFFA, and I believe that HE and HALL are both WEAK in these negotiations. Its that simple. IF HOFFA /HALL ever wanted to give TDU an opportunity to take over at the top, then this contract will do just that. I dont support TDU, but I believe that this contract alone ( if passed ) will ultimately be the tipping point for the direction of the teamsters.

All TDU will have to do is put up a candidate who isnt marred up, legitimately involved in union politics and rest will be history.

You cheer loudly today about this contract, but you'll hear me later when what I say comes true.

The membership would respect HOFFA/HALL if they listened to us, and took this offer off the table and came to the membership and said they "HEARD US" loud and clear.

Peace

TOS

Amen brother! Oops sorry thought it was the Christian channel from earlier posts

pretender

It's not in the sand sweetheart. If central states goes belly up which it will ups is on the hook for the remainder to offset the pension protection guarantee fund. It was for members in this contract and the next. That's about as good as it gets. We all live contra t to contract.

I have read the clause at least a dozen times, and I keep going back and forth as to what it means. So, I hope you are right! I even went back to the original Q&A brochure that was mailed at the time of the change. Question 24 asks if the CSPF reduced the benefit a retiree is receiving, would UPS make up the the difference in the retirement benefit? The answer is a simple yes, with no qualifications. Common sense tells me that if UPS/IBT is paying the entire benefit prior to the age of 65, then there is nothing for CSPF to reduce until such time that they are actually distributing payments. So, any reference to a reduction would have to mean after full retirement age, and thus, UPS would make up the difference.

ups clerk

Why does a No vote need to mean a strike? They can restructure their proposal still.

Believe me we won't go on strike because the union won't sanction it. They will just say that we will go back to the table and all rank and file will keep working without a contract until it is settled. Or let's say the company will ask the union to continue working until this is settled and this time the union will agree.

kingOFchester

Believe me we won't go on strike because the union won't sanction it. They will just say that we will go back to the table and all rank and file will keep working without a contract until it is settled. Or let's say the company will ask the union to continue working until this is settled and this time the union will agree.

And that would be in the best interest of everyone. I would rather extend the current contract for several months, send Hall and UPS to Bumfunk one hores town, and let them negotiate a new TA. No Florida, No golf, nothing.

rpoz11

I agree.
A NO vote does not start a Strike vote.
That would have to be voted on first.
The Nation's economy, and the Gov'ts and State Tax revenues, would not be a friendly result.
Businesses everywhere would scream loudly.

Inthegame

The numbers don't matter because his statements are only half the story. UPS bought their/our pensions out of CS - this is true BUT UPS will only guarantee the pension payments set forth in the contract until we reach age 65, then any pension credits accrued before 2008 revert back to CS for payment.

For example, someone who had 25 years in as of 2008 and an additional 5 years under the new UPS/IBT pension will get $3000/mo guaranteed by UPS until they turn age 65. Then at age 65, they will get $500 from UPS/IBT and CS will be responsible for the $2500 (25 years of pension credits under CS).

Central States is 64% funded and telling congress they will be bankrupt in 9 - 12 years if they don't change the laws and let them cut pension payouts now. (IMO- They don't want the PGBC taking over the pension plan - they would like to bleed it dry until the very end).

I see anonymous ended that post with LOL - unless that is a giant Tom Hanks in the Money Pit laugh, there is nothing funny about Central States.

How long will it be before they are funneling money from other pensions into CSHW and then into their bankrupt pension fund?
If they are 64% funded they are red and don't need any law to change to cut benefits. Any participant in their right mind should hope PBGC doesn't "take over" the plan. The law doesn't allow your funneling scenario to occur.

ups clerk

I agree.
A NO vote does not start a Strike vote.
That would have to be voted on first.
The Nation's economy, and the Gov'ts and State Tax revenues, would not be a friendly result.
Businesses everywhere would scream loudly.
The irony is that just about every contract, one of the first things the union locals and even nationwide would do is take a strike vote in case the contract doesn't pass. Not this time. I got a letter from my local of the up coming contract meeting and it said the local is accepting the contract.
So there won't be any contract votes decided on, yet everybody present at my meeting is going to be raising holy Hell.
Oh one other thing, how much do you want to bet that if the contract doesn't pass, when they go back to the tables, the company will throw in a signing bonus. You just mark my word. The company and especially the union wants this contract passed in the worst way, just like the last contract when the union was going to receive 5 billion dollars for the company to get out of Central States. On the other hand, you also mark my word, this contract WILL pass despite the public outcry, which means those who are declaring they will vote NO will vote yes or the balloting is fixed. I will suspect the latter.

Inthegame

... just like the last contract when the union was going to receive 5 billion dollars for the company to get out of Central States. On the other hand, you also mark my word, this contract WILL pass despite the public outcry, which means those who are declaring they will vote NO will vote yes or the balloting is fixed. I will suspect the latter.
The "union" didn't receive a penny from UPS in the last or any prior agreement. The Central States Pension Fund received the withdrawal liability amount that UPS owed to relieve their obligation.
Volunteer (the horror) to join your local unions election committee or observe at the next officers election and you'll see how foolish your statement about "fixed" voting is.

pretender

I have read the clause at least a dozen times, and I keep going back and forth as to what it means. So, I hope you are right! I even went back to the original Q&A brochure that was mailed at the time of the change. Question 24 asks if the CSPF reduced the benefit a retiree is receiving, would UPS make up the the difference in the retirement benefit? The answer is a simple yes, with no qualifications. Common sense tells me that if UPS/IBT is paying the entire benefit prior to the age of 65, then there is nothing for CSPF to reduce until such time that they are actually distributing payments. So, any reference to a reduction would have to mean after full retirement age, and thus, UPS would make up the difference.

UPDATE: I contacted Atlanta, and I just received a response:

Mr. XXXXXXXX,

If something happens to CS the UPS/IBT Plan will make up the difference in your monthly benefit even after age 65. I do apologize, but we do not have anything other than the Q AND A booklet that you already have to show this.

tejano408

Well You Guys In The Central Don't Got Much Now So Yeah This Contract Looks Good But Imagine Having A Better Contract Then The One Offered And Our BA Told Us This Was A Bad Contract And That They Told Us They Could Not To Vote For This Contract It's A Bad Deal And One Of Your Guys Has Till November To Come Up With Something Better If It Passes Just Vote No There Will Be A Better Contract And I Don't Think We Will Get Alot Of Support From The Public You Know There Is Alot Of Union Hating Out There Cause They Don't Have It Better Then We Do