To Trace or Not to Trace

mikestrek

I am going into my fourth week of driving and need some good solid info. I have read other posts and most all of you say stick to trace. I am delivering to a college area where i have to walk most of my stops from corners (college kids cant park worth a hoot). I can not drive down most streets. My center mgr said that i need to be delivering 18 pcs per hour but according to trace it can not be done. My one road sup says the same thing. Last tues i delivered 158 stops and was back in the building at 7 and still ran an hour and thirty min over!! My sup is telling me not to follow trace for me to "run the route in a more logical way". I have yet to make my 30 days, do should i stick to trace or make up my own route. I thought that the pas system did away with drivers having to do this. I am unsure on what the more "logical" thing is to do. If i stick with trace i will be way over my alloted time but if i run it my way and i am still over i cant win.
Hey guys, I suggest you run your routes with pas or by the ed order in your diad. Corporate has beat it into the sup's and management that this is the fastest way to run and $ millions $ of dollars has been spent to set up this new pas system. With that much money spent corporate knows they better make all this work.

As long as you don't run in the high 80's or low 90 percent on your ed, Sup's are programed to tell you your not running your route correct.

Always run your route per the ed system even if it's not accurate.

If it's not accurate, Let your Sup know that you need to make changes in the street patern that you run.

What Corporate wants to believe is that in a perfect world you can just pull to the curb, Open your bulk head door, Grab the next stop on the shelf, Close your bulk head door, and deliver your package, Same with the next stop.

Correct, Miss loads, Miss positioned packages, or a bad load are never a factor to corpoerate.

Guys, Corporate is on a mission and they don't want to hear "But" You need to have your route set up as closely as possible to perfect ed order and run it that way everyday.

When your in the 90 percent range and your still running 1 1/2 hour late then let the sup's know how bad the numbers are on your route.

Also, Run your route by the book. You probably wont see many 3 day rides any more because a driver can be monitored day to day from the diad information and GPS.

Change is scary guys but hang in there, YES, we all know were all correct but Like I said Corporate is on a mission and is gonna ram this down our throats, If you get in the way, You could pay the price.

I run my rout about 97% each day. and always by the book. Yet, I also run at least an hour late each day. Sup's just ignore me now. :peaceful:

H

hseofpayne

Hell, in our center you could get fired just for asking a sup to show you how.

Maybe so! But it makes no sense to have to dig around in your car looking for the next stop if you don't have to. If some guys want to be hard headed and not change their EDD, they can continue to dig! My route falls off like dominos, makes me happy, makes swing drivers happy, makes sups happy, and thats the order I worry about!:wink2:

happyboy

Wow he wants you to do 18 stops an hour, that sounds like alot to me, also sounds like that may not be a training route, so if you do get dq u can file. good luck sounds like they want you to work off of the clock to make it, most drivers do so, its just part of the job around here..

Overpaid Union Thug

Hey guys, I suggest you run your routes with pas or by the ed order in your diad. Corporate has beat it into the sup's and management that this is the fastest way to run and $ millions $ of dollars has been spent to set up this new pas system. With that much money spent corporate knows they better make all this work.

As long as you don't run in the high 80's or low 90 percent on your ed, Sup's are programed to tell you your not running your route correct.

Always run your route per the ed system even if it's not accurate.

If it's not accurate, Let your Sup know that you need to make changes in the street patern that you run.

What Corporate wants to believe is that in a perfect world you can just pull to the curb, Open your bulk head door, Grab the next stop on the shelf, Close your bulk head door, and deliver your package, Same with the next stop.

Correct, Miss loads, Miss positioned packages, or a bad load are never a factor to corpoerate.

Guys, Corporate is on a mission and they don't want to hear "But" You need to have your route set up as closely as possible to perfect ed order and run it that way everyday.

When your in the 90 percent range and your still running 1 1/2 hour late then let the sup's know how bad the numbers are on your route.

Also, Run your route by the book. You probably wont see many 3 day rides any more because a driver can be monitored day to day from the diad information and GPS.

Change is scary guys but hang in there, YES, we all know were all correct but Like I said Corporate is on a mission and is gonna ram this down our throats, If you get in the way, You could pay the price.

I run my rout about 97% each day. and always by the book. Yet, I also run at least an hour late each day. Sup's just ignore me now. :peaceful:

Here we are expected to run 85% or better. Unless of course a driver has a negative number under the over/under portion of the OR. Then it doesn't matter if that driver ran the route at 10% trace.

govols019

You smell that?
We had one guy they kept beating on about running trace a couple of years ago and he finally got fed up with it. He went out and ran the route exactly in trace. He normally runs 175 miles with 105 stops averaging a 9.5hr day. Running trace put him at almost 300 miles and over 13hr day.

They never mentioned running in trace again and they never tried to fix it.

Maybe so! But it makes no sense to have to dig around in your car looking for the next stop if you don't have to. If some guys want to be hard headed and not change their EDD, they can continue to dig! My route falls off like dominos, makes me happy, makes swing drivers happy, makes sups happy, and thats the order I worry about!:wink2:
I agree it makes no sense, but since when does UPS make sense? My problem with trying to fix trace is that I am a cover driver, I have no right to mess with another drivers EDD.
If management would cooperate and pay me, I could work in the center for two weeks and fix the EDD of about 5 routes that could get the brown truck loaded almost stop for stop. But NOOOOOOOOOO, not even a consideration.(of course I would work with the regular driver to do this)

When I was on comp I tried to get the center manager to let me work on a couple of routes while on TWA but he was so determined to punish me for getting hurt that anything I suggested I do to help was squelched. Instead his idea of my best use of TWA time was to wash feeder tractors with one arm.

New Englander

Wow he wants you to do 18 stops an hour, that sounds like alot to me, also sounds like that may not be a training route, so if you do get dq u can file. good luck sounds like they want you to work off of the clock to make it, most drivers do so, its just part of the job around here..

We have a down town route that gets 145 to 160 deliveries and has 30 pick ups on it. With only maybe 8 made while making the delivery.

It runs a 19 - 21 sporh and is usually 1.5 paid over every day. We also have another town route 20 miles up the highway. Does 105 to 125 with 27 or so pick ups. Usually runs Sporhs of 17 to 19 and is a scratch route.

A lot of times it's miss classifications of the roads/miles time allocations.

J

justgetitdone

Hey, y dont you jsut skip your lunch to get the job done. it does not matter what you take for notes. 30 days is like a pass for sup's. skip your lunch day 31 take your lunch and get the ors on the car with you to adjust the trace to make it work for you. with the economy and cutting runs and cost. mang. is just looking for reasons to get rid of the drivers that run o/a. don break trace that will make you look worse than you really are. if you break trace it takes away from your on area allowance and starts using your to and from. have ors adjusts the streets in pas to make it work for you. believe me if it works for you it will definetly work for your ors. if you look good -he looks good. this is a team effort there is no need to fight against each other. we are all here for the same reasons. to provide for our families. you just deliver and we train

New Englander

Hey, y dont you jsut skip your lunch to get the job done. it does not matter what you take for notes. 30 days is like a pass for sup's. skip your lunch day 31 take your lunch and get the ors on the car with you to adjust the trace to make it work for you. with the economy and cutting runs and cost. mang. is just looking for reasons to get rid of the drivers that run o/a. don break trace that will make you look worse than you really are. if you break trace it takes away from your on area allowance and starts using your to and from. have ors adjusts the streets in pas to make it work for you. believe me if it works for you it will definetly work for your ors. if you look good -he looks good. this is a team effort there is no need to fight against each other. we are all here for the same reasons. to provide for our families. you just deliver and we train

This was written by management? My god is this company going down the tubes!

H

hseofpayne

I agree it makes no sense, but since when does UPS make sense? My problem with trying to fix trace is that I am a cover driver, I have no right to mess with another drivers EDD.
If management would cooperate and pay me, I could work in the center for two weeks and fix the EDD of about 5 routes that could get the brown truck loaded almost stop for stop. But NOOOOOOOOOO, not even a consideration.(of course I would work with the regular driver to do this)

When I was on comp I tried to get the center manager to let me work on a couple of routes while on TWA but he was so determined to punish me for getting hurt that anything I suggested I do to help was squelched. Instead his idea of my best use of TWA time was to wash feeder tractors with one arm.

Thats a hoot, man! When I was on my 29 days of TAW after my wreck, there were 3 other guys on TAW. They would clock in and disappear, some even went upstairs in the A/C and slept! I worked on my EDD and put the word out that if anybody needed their EDD changed, write it down and I would fix it. I also played OMS. Once the center manager caught the others screwing off, he banished me outside in the heat fueling cars and washing them, too, even though my work restrictions said I couldn't do anything above my shoulders. I did have some of the cleanest lower half cars in town, though! I got punished for the other 3, and a lot of EDD changes didn't get done, but hey, at least the center manager got his revenge!

J

justdoyourjob

This was written by management? My god is this company going down the tubes!

yes it was written by mangt. but also that i have worked for ups since 96. been through the strike, lost out on money for school because greedy full time drivers wanted more money and did not care about the preloaders. had to sit and watch people get promoted that should not have been only because they had more senority than me. you want the job you do what needs to be done. if skipping your lunch gets you a 28 dollar/hour job then heck ya i am gonna do it. but dont forget that all the time that you drivers spend pre sheeting your car is not part of the methods. if you do that you do that on your time. also if you are a bonus center. if you skip your lunch you typically get it back in bonus. everyone always complains that they hate there job so much....but.......you are still working here....right. that just says that 1 there is atleast something you like about this job...or 2 you are just to lazy to look for another job...which means you have no drive and that since you are lazy you dont want to leave a job that has a union to protect lazy workers. which in turn gives us sups a bad name because we cant get rid of the lazy workers... which is why we end up rewarding good work with more work

i am out

New Englander

yes it was written by mangt. but also that i have worked for ups since 96. been through the strike, lost out on money for school because greedy full time drivers wanted more money and did not care about the preloaders. had to sit and watch people get promoted that should not have been only because they had more senority than me. you want the job you do what needs to be done. if skipping your lunch gets you a 28 dollar/hour job then heck ya i am gonna do it. but dont forget that all the time that you drivers spend pre sheeting your car is not part of the methods. if you do that you do that on your time. also if you are a bonus center. if you skip your lunch you typically get it back in bonus. everyone always complains that they hate there job so much....but.......you are still working here....right. that just says that 1 there is atleast something you like about this job...or 2 you are just to lazy to look for another job...which means you have no drive and that since you are lazy you dont want to leave a job that has a union to protect lazy workers. which in turn gives us sups a bad name because we cant get rid of the lazy workers... which is why we end up rewarding good work with more work

i am out

Damn dude.....sorry you lost out on money for school. You obviously really needed it.

I stand by my original post! I'm scared for this company with whats leading us!

tourists24

i am out
too bad you have to hide behind anonymous post.... not much to respond about things til you stop hiding,,, except I want to know who all these "lazy" drivers are.... sure there are some slower than others but Im not sure I know any lazy ones. I DO know those run n gunners that dont follow the methods, but with age they too will slow down.