told to remove radios from cab

Tony31yrs

Reasons I never had a radio in my package car:

-Wasn't in the car long enough to listen.
-Couldn't find a station that I wanted to listen to all day.
-Couldn't hear it above the engine roar.
-Too busy thinking about where the next stop was.
-Read a book during lunch.
-Day went by fast enough without one.

When I had a rental at peak that had a radio, I got sick of hearing the same old news, weather and songs. If something interesting was happening on the news, I found myself waiting in the truck until the story was done.Good thing that they didn't bother you about "scratch" when you were driving a rental.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a beat-up boom box radio/CD player that I got on sale for $30. I strap it down to the dash with a bungee cord. It doesnt obscure my view in any way. I listen to a mellow 60's-70's station that plays the Beatles, ABBA, ELO, Fleetwood Mac and stuff like that. I never have to worry about inappropriate or offensive lyrics blaring from the truck, most of my customers enjoy what I have on and a lot of them are listening to the same station.

J

JonFrum

. . . some neighborhoods don't appreciate hearing Rush or Hannity or Neal Boortz!!:wink2:

And those are precisely the neighborhoods that need to hear those three.

Then I'd throw in "Galt's Speech" from Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" to really give 'em a well deserved slap upside the head.

J

JonFrum

. . .Master always overrides supplements and local. . .

Not necessarily true.

Read all of Article 2, especially this:
Any lesser conditions contained in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum shall be superseded by the conditions contained in this Master Agreement. However, except where specifically stated otherwise in the Master Agreement, nothing in this Master Agreement shall deprive any employee of any superior benefit contained in their Supplement, Rider or Addendum.
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement.335360/

[ I know. Picky, picky, picky. ]

upsdude

I really don't understand the desire for a radio in the truck. How do you even hear it? I can't hear my cell phone if it's in my shirt pocket (so I keep it on vibrate). Flame away.

Same here, but I do carry a very small (pocket sized) radio I listen to at lunch.

I used to carry a radio in my package car, kept it strapped to the dash one way or another. The problem I had was that many of the areas I covered had very few stations that would come through well enough not to fade in and out and it seemed to be that the only stations I could get a good signal for were Spanish stations and I don't speak the lingo. So, out of frustration I gave up and just started singing to myself. It's amazing, I sound just like George Straight, Allan Jackson and Toby Keith.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
"Common sense though. We had guys breaking windsheilds with stuff put on the dash. Grieve it and a compromise can be reached. Common sense while not so common any more can go a long way in preventing these types of problems. Respect the equipment and the image we are supposed to project. A home entertainment center on your dash doesn't work."

Exactly, but how do you inject common sense into a policy that contains so many variables? It's the same reason we can't have facial hair other than on the upper lip. Who's to say what a "neatly trimmed" beard or goatee is? What size radio is allowed and where is it acceptable to mount it? I don't agree with the ban on radios in the cab but I can understand why they made such a sweeping decision. I'm hoping that it blows over in a few weeks.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
"Common sense though. We had guys breaking windsheilds with stuff put on the dash. Grieve it and a compromise can be reached. Common sense while not so common any more can go a long way in preventing these types of problems. Respect the equipment and the image we are supposed to project. A home entertainment center on your dash doesn't work."

What size radio is allowed and where is it acceptable to mount it? I don't agree with the ban on radios in the cab but I can understand why they made such a sweeping decision. I'm hoping that it blows over in a few weeks.

Man, I don't miss the flavor of the week!

Tony31yrs

I have a beat-up boom box radio/CD player that I got on sale for $30. I strap it down to the dash with a bungee cord. It doesnt obscure my view in any way. I listen to a mellow 60's-70's station that plays the Beatles, ABBA, ELO, Fleetwood Mac and stuff like that. I never have to worry about inappropriate or offensive lyrics blaring from the truck, most of my customers enjoy what I have on and a lot of them are listening to the same station.

I was a hard rocker from the 70's(Stones, Led Zepplin, The Who, etc.). No offense, but I would rather listen to the sound of the diesel engine than Abba,ELO and other mellow music. It might put me to sleep while driving.

finaddict

JnFrum...You actually quoted my point with nothing in the master shall be less than that in a superior supplement. I obviously did not quote but basically the Master rules. If you get something better in a supplement then all the more power! We don't loose on a supplement, only gain. The Master is the baseline, anything greater than the baseline through supplements is gravy. Anything less is a grievance. Enough said on that. I think we agree but used different language.

leastbest

LeastBest
I carry an Ipod Nano in on my dash (via velcro) with a cable that runs to some battery powered speakers. They are really loud and I listen to music, podcasts and audio books all day.

Randy