Tonights main event: APWA vs IBT at UPS Freight

Ironshot

Satelite explain why you make what you make and have the benefits you have. Because we struck in 97 and earned it right? Thats right you crossed and still you complain the teamsters this and the teamsters that, you should have showed the teamsters and your brothers and sisters on that strike line a little respect! But no you spat on them and went into work and we should take your advice on which union is better for us. Your a confused soul and i think the last person any1 here should take any kind of union advice from!!!!!
705red
You abuse satelitedrvr over his views, yet he is right and you also are partially right. The Union did get the pay scale. But, what else? You work for a company that boasts 36 billion in rev. If you're in the parcel side you get over $200 per wk dumped into "your pension" wink, wink. Sorry to tell you you see only 40% of that weekly contribution. Your Medical sucks
You get overtime after eight and time and a half after nine ya ok. The Union also gets you grievences that go unprocessed sometimes for years. As a Union Part timer you don't get respect in your locals meetings. Do I need to go on? 705red, you need to rethink your position. If you do any thinking for yourself you'll see that you have been given a little by the Union and much that also should be yours is taken from you by this Union.
705red the question for you is Why don't you think for yourself? If you did you'd understand people like satelitedrvr.
He may not say it but he knows he is getting hosed by the Union you champion. I'll post an article just for you 705red, so you can see what your Union wants to take away from you know.

mittam

NYteam06,
Look up the definition of Union. Also, to whom are you listening to in regards to the APWA not being a Union. The IBT? They misrepresent the facts on everything, do your own research. Pension Plans or Employee Benefits Security Administration Main Page
or the PGBC site and as it relates to "multiemployer" pension funds and there default.
As far, as your dues, everypenny? Have you asked for an accounting of the dues you pay? Try it just to see if they seem concerned for you and what you needs maybe.

Good question, have you asked for an acccounting of your dues monies? I did that 2 years ago still no answer. I had to file a law suit to find out where and how my dues are spent, when it finally gets to court and there is an answer I will let you know.

705red

Browncafe Steward
705red
You abuse satelitedrvr over his views, yet he is right and you also are partially right. The Union did get the pay scale. But, what else? You work for a company that boasts 36 billion in rev. If you're in the parcel side you get over $200 per wk dumped into "your pension" wink, wink. Sorry to tell you you see only 40% of that weekly contribution. Your Medical sucks
You get overtime after eight and time and a half after nine ya ok. The Union also gets you grievences that go unprocessed sometimes for years. As a Union Part timer you don't get respect in your locals meetings. Do I need to go on? 705red, you need to rethink your position. If you do any thinking for yourself you'll see that you have been given a little by the Union and much that also should be yours is taken from you by this Union.
705red the question for you is Why don't you think for yourself? If you did you'd understand people like satelitedrvr.
He may not say it but he knows he is getting hosed by the Union you champion. I'll post an article just for you 705red, so you can see what your Union wants to take away from you know.
I abuse him because hes a scab, i only abuse him in this labor forum, because he has no right to voice his views on what union is better for us the still current teamsters. Ironshot maybe you will answer this how long did freight carry the pension plan?

any122

adirondack man
I abuse him because hes a scab, i only abuse him in this labor forum, because he has no right to voice his views on what union is better for us the still current teamsters. Ironshot maybe you will answer this how long did freight carry the pension plan?
Regardless how long freight carried the pension the IBT is carrying the pension off in thier own pockets.In the end the pension will not even be thier so whats your point.You have one option the APWA or nothing take your choice.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Regardless how long freight carried the pension the IBT is carrying the pension off in thier own pockets.In the end the pension will not even be thier so whats your point.You have one option the APWA or nothing take your choice.
Exactly how is the ibt walking away with the pension in their pockets? How about helping out on organizing drives to increase the membership and pension payments to the plans, i know you wouldnt be able to sit here and and cry anymore. How is the apwa the only option? Listen pal the apwa is not even an option. Why dont you call van or danny and have them caome on here and explain how their apwa(company endorsed single employer) pension plan will work!!! Are they afraid to debate the issues?

Cole

The APWA is a work in progress, so they haven't represented anybody yet. Here's a link to their charter etc...

Once again, if UPS is behind it, they sure can't vote on who represents you. If you vote for a cupcake company handholding agent or steward etc...whose fault is that?

Thereagain, if hypothetically say Van or Danny or both wanted a more friendly let's go along to get along union as we pretty well have now, the only way to do that is not to have elections, but appoint every position in the APWA.

Too many people will not tolerate fanny kissing, and selling out.

The goal of the APWA, is to give us UPSers more say, and a better pension than the Teamsters have allowed with the contributions.

I assure you finding a solid group to manage/consult on solid pensions is not as difficult as the Teamsters have made it.

In fact I am going to be meeting with a man that has had to get Central States straight from previous mishandlings of our money. I.'E, terrible investments.

I can't say the APWA will use him, but he has fantastic credentials, and certainly worthy of looking into.

krash

Go big orange
Cole,
We are the union and if they are "hand holding cup cake eating" one then it's our fault. Starting a new union wont change that. Especially not to one that appoints themselves Grand Wizard and Poo Bah of APWA. Not to mention they admit you can be one too by donating the first $150

705red

Browncafe Steward
The APWA is a work in progress, so they haven't represented anybody yet.

Once again, if UPS is behind it, they sure can't vote on who represents you. If you vote for a cupcake company handholding agent or steward etc...whose fault is that?

But isnt that 1 of your big beefs right now your agent?

Thereagain, if hypothetically say Van or Danny or both wanted a more friendly let's go along to get along union as we pretty well have now, the only way to do that is not to have elections, but appoint every position in the APWA.

Is that in writing? Where can i view the apwas bylaws?

But scabbing and withdrawing from the teamsters is ok?

The goal of the APWA, is to give us UPSers more say, and a better pension than the Teamsters have allowed with the contributions.

More say in what exactly cole? I go to my meetings monthly and say what i have to. Cole you, van, or danny have never ever made a bad financial decision in your lifes?

I assure you finding a solid group to manage/consult on solid pensions is not as difficult as the Teamsters have made it.

Your right, but how is putting it in ups's single employer fund gonig to be better?

In fact I am going to be meeting with a man that has had to get Central States straight from previous mishandlings of our money. I.'E, terrible investments.

I keep seeing the word mishandled thrown around here, please explain what you mean.

I can't say the APWA will use him, but he has fantastic credentials, and certainly worthy of looking into.

Let me guess, hes a ceo? For ups? Mike eskew?

Ironshot

Red705,
You'd look better on here if you spoke with facts and not the IBT's spin/talking points.
I posted an article for you regarding the IBT's move to end elections and Hoffa supporting it. Yet you keep blathering away. The Horse and Buggy outfit is on it's last leg
if you choose to collapse with it is your decision. If you belong to the big brown machine then you have a great opportunity to survive with the APWA. The package side is signing on average 75% for the APWA at every facility they get to. It doesn't take much to figure the meaning or see the writing on the wall for the organization that has screwed it's rank and file for years.
Hoffa Takes Aim at Your Right to Vote
By TDU Created 2007-03-05 20:33
Hoffa won the election and deserves to serve as our Teamster president. But he, and other top officers, should respect Teamster democracy and fair, supervised elections. Instead, they are working to make the 2006 Teamster election the last.
In 2001, President Hoffa supported an amendment to the Teamster Constitution to establish members’ right to elect International Union officers and convention delegates. But today top Hoffa administration officials are publicly attacking Teamster elections.
What explains the Hoffa administration’s U-turn and what can Teamsters do to protect our Right to Vote?
In two recent union publications, International Vice President Fred Gegare and International Carhaul Director Fred Z opposed members’ Right to Vote and openly praised the old system where local union officials automatically served as convention delegates.
Gegare and Zuckerman each have their reasons for taking away members’ right to elect our convention delegates. Zuckerman was humiliated when Local 89 members defeated his slate and elected 17 rank-and-file delegates who supported Tom L.
Gegare, the chairman of the Central States Fund who voted to cut members’ pensions (while having four pensions himself) knows that rank-and-file delegates were the main supporters of amendments to hold pension fund trustees accountable to Teamster members.
But Gegare and Zuckerman are not launching free-lance attacks based on their personal agendas.
L Ghostwrites Articles
The articles in the Wisconsin Teamster and the Local 89 Teamster were signed by Gegare and Zuckerman, but were actually written by Richard L, a top advisor to President Hoffa and his chief spokesperson during the 2006 election. That explains how two officials in different states use the exact same words in their “personal” columns.
It’s all part of a Hoffa administration effort to maintain elections for IBT officers in the constitution, but eliminate the Right to Vote in practice.
Hoffa can’t come out against Teamster democracy directly. He needs to be able to tell the Justice Department that Teamsters have the Right to Vote in our constitution to be successful in negotiations with the Justice Department to end the Consent Decree and government oversight of our union.
Hoffa’s U-Turn
So Hoffa champions the Right to Vote as a constitutional principle, while he fights any attempts by members to exercise their Right to Vote in practice.
In 2006, Hoffa tried to block the nomination of all opposition candidates and his campaign repeatedly denounced his opponents for “wasting our union’s money” by running for office.
Top Hoffa administration officials have repeatedly gone on the record in support of a change to the election rules to increase the amount of delegate support that candidates would need to get on the ballot.
Hoffa’s own spokesman has put it in writing that Teamster members should lose the right to elect Convention delegates.
Hoffa’s plan is clear. Change the nomination formula. Eliminate elected delegates. And presto! Members would still have the constitutional Right to Vote for International Union officers, but it would be impossible for any opposition candidates to run.
Hoffa won the election and deserves to serve as our Teamster president. But he, and other top officers, should respect Teamster democracy and fair, supervised elections. Instead, they are working to make the 2006 Teamster election the last.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red705,
You'd look better on here if you spoke with facts and not the IBT's spin/talking points.
I posted an article for you regarding the IBT's move to end elections and Hoffa supporting it. Yet you keep blathering away. The Horse and Buggy outfit is on it's last leg
if you choose to collapse with it is your decision. If you belong to the big brown machine then you have a great opportunity to survive with the APWA. The package side is signing on average 75% for the APWA at every facility they get to. It doesn't take much to figure the meaning or see the writing on the wall for the organization that has screwed it's rank and file for years.
Hoffa Takes Aim at Your Right to Vote
By TDU Created 2007-03-05 20:33
In 2001, President Hoffa supported an amendment to the Teamster Constitution to establish members’ right to elect International Union officers and convention delegates. But today top Hoffa administration officials are publicly attacking Teamster elections.
What explains the Hoffa administration’s U-turn and what can Teamsters do to protect our Right to Vote?
In two recent union publications, International Vice President Fred Gegare and International Carhaul Director Fred Z opposed members’ Right to Vote and openly praised the old system where local union officials automatically served as convention delegates.
Gegare and Zuckerman each have their reasons for taking away members’ right to elect our convention delegates. Zuckerman was humiliated when Local 89 members defeated his slate and elected 17 rank-and-file delegates who supported Tom L.
Gegare, the chairman of the Central States Fund who voted to cut members’ pensions (while having four pensions himself) knows that rank-and-file delegates were the main supporters of amendments to hold pension fund trustees accountable to Teamster members.
But Gegare and Zuckerman are not launching free-lance attacks based on their personal agendas.
L Ghostwrites Articles
The articles in the Wisconsin Teamster and the Local 89 Teamster were signed by Gegare and Zuckerman, but were actually written by Richard L, a top advisor to President Hoffa and his chief spokesperson during the 2006 election. That explains how two officials in different states use the exact same words in their “personal” columns.
It’s all part of a Hoffa administration effort to maintain elections for IBT officers in the constitution, but eliminate the Right to Vote in practice.
Hoffa can’t come out against Teamster democracy directly. He needs to be able to tell the Justice Department that Teamsters have the Right to Vote in our constitution to be successful in negotiations with the Justice Department to end the Consent Decree and government oversight of our union.
Hoffa’s U-Turn
So Hoffa champions the Right to Vote as a constitutional principle, while he fights any attempts by members to exercise their Right to Vote in practice.
In 2006, Hoffa tried to block the nomination of all opposition candidates and his campaign repeatedly denounced his opponents for “wasting our union’s money” by running for office.
Top Hoffa administration officials have repeatedly gone on the record in support of a change to the election rules to increase the amount of delegate support that candidates would need to get on the ballot.
Hoffa’s own spokesman has put it in writing that Teamster members should lose the right to elect Convention delegates.
Hoffa’s plan is clear. Change the nomination formula. Eliminate elected delegates. And presto! Members would still have the constitutional Right to Vote for International Union officers, but it would be impossible for any opposition candidates to run.
I know my local refused to support either canidate to allow a fair election. Leedham got just enough delegate votes in order to run, and i know if my local supported hoffa there would probably have been no election. Of course hoffa wants to eliminate the election process, but we as teamsters will fight it hard. I refuse to turn my back on problems and get in there, roll up my sleves and get dirty to fight for whats right. After your apwa experiment spirals out of control, were get together and look for good union guys to support to oust hoffa, Agreed?

Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole
The APWA is a work in progress, so they haven't represented anybody yet.

Red said
But isnt that 1 of your big beefs right now your agent?
Yes that's a beef I have, but if it's only UPS people voting getting someone like this out is much easier. Either way, he's not the total reason I support the APWA. The pension pushed it all up and alot of us are ready to regergitate the Teamsters out.

705 red said
Is that in writing? Where can i view the apwas bylaws?

Dude so having bylaws makes everything ok eh? Alot of good that does look at the corruption and mob ties with the Teamsters.

705>
But scabbing and withdrawing from the teamsters is ok?

I never said scabbing was ok, and as far as withdrawing I never said anywhere that I support it, accept to join the APWA. I did say somewhere that I can understand why people did after their pension was screwed all up. My statement you quoted, is simply these types are not going to get the votes of those that know what's up.

705>
More say in what exactly cole? I go to my meetings monthly and say what i have to. Cole you, van, or danny have never ever made a bad financial decision in your lifes?

When your pension is taken please contact us and tell us what you think. More say in how the union is run, with a much better probability of getting that done. This is not the first time, and why shouldn't they be accountable?

705>
Your right, but how is putting it in ups's single employer fund gonig to be better?

Ask the mechanics in the Machinists Union.

705>
I keep seeing the word mishandled thrown around here, please explain what you mean.

When I meet with him and get specifics I will, but I don't wont to post something incorrectly. I have a general idea, but hven't gotten specifics, or if it is something that may have a gag order on it.

705>
Let me guess, hes a ceo? For ups? Mike eskew?

Same old lines eh? Prove UPS is behind it, and I'll be glad to rail against the APWA. Hate to break the news but the APWA has filed charges with the NLRB against a Teamster local, and some UPS managers. Oh and as a recognized Union;)

Yes, it's Mike Eskew you got me.:w00t:

There again, until I speak to him, and can verify his credentials, and get permission from him, I wont disrespect him by giving info without permission.

Ironshot

705red,
I can appreciate you wanting to correct something in which you apparently belong. Trouble is we whom do not have extended connections or any association with the Teamsters don't want to be drawn into the mess. The TDU has tried for what 30 years now to make headway on reforms with no solid success.
Individual Locals such as 726 in Chicago recently shut out members seeking to change the standard operating procedures. See the article below. Not all Locals are messed up I agree, however there doesn't seem to be a solution to the big International picture. To much good old boy, buddy crap.
As for package, these people should be set for life with just 20 years in service to UPS. But, thanks to the IBT's closed system they have been screwed over like every other smuck
tied to the Pension system. So this is why in a nut shell package is signing APWA cards at 70-80% on average at every center visited. People are tired of the crap period. The Machinist Union has a Pension system in great shape UPS employees get huge monthly sums (10K plus) from the same amount of cash every other FT worker gets alotted. Yet IBT members get crap essentially. What does everyone have to suffer collectively.
Local 726 Members Turn out in Record Numbers
Chicago Teamsters Want to Elect Bargaining Committees
“It was amazing to see. Hundreds of Teamsters packed the hall, from all over our local union. They came to vote, to participate. They were shut down. But I’m a proud Teamster to see what’s changing in our local.” — Joe Vercillo
March 23, 2007. On March 21, it was no normal monthly meeting at Chicago Local 726. The hall was packed with hundreds of members, with many people in the hallway. They wanted to change their local union bylaws to have the right to elect some working Teamsters to their bargaining committees.
Fighting for the Future, the grassroots movement in Local 726, put forward three bylaws changes and encouraged members to attend.
The union leadership brought people too, but they couldn’t match the outpouring of rank and file desire for change. So they refused to allow an honest vote.
Mario DiFoggio summed it up. “It was clear that the ‘ayes’ had it on the voice vote but (President) John Falzone ruled the ‘nays’ won. The packed room erupted. Everyone couldn’t believe what was happening. They wouldn’t even allow a hand vote. It was their way or no way.”
“I've been a member for over 30 years and it was the most incredible meeting I can remember,” said John Fasso. “They simply wouldn’t allow an honest vote. We need change in our union. We have to vote these guys out." Fasso works at the City of Chicago Aviation Department.
Mary Koglin, from the City Aviation Department agrees. “I think a lot of members who went in on the fence got a real wake up call seeing how this meeting was run.”
Fighting for the Future has issued a leaflet thanking the members of Local 726 for coming out to take part in their union. They are putting together a team to run for office this fall, and bring a new day to Local 726 members.
Local 726 represents over 5,000 Teamsters who are all in public service, working for the city of Chicago, the county, the turnpike, the state and other public agencies.

Sorry to add there are more of these articles available from around the U.S.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Ironshot ive never given up on anythingand i wont turn my back for the apwa when no1 here from the apwa will explain and prove their points. That 726 is a bad deal and our locals are in the same building, but i can guarantee you that administrtion will be voted out, because the membership is fed up and standing up for whats right, not running to jump ship and sign on with another union. The tdu is informational, however they only point out the negatives, maybe if they pointed out the positives to, they might have more people interested.

Cole

:confused:1 For some reason this post didn't show til after I posted the one below? So I edited this one.

Last edited:

Cole

As far as proving points, it doesn't matter what is posted some wouldn't believe it no matter what. We have already shown what the mechanics under the Machinists union make in pension, which is emabrrassingly higher than ours under the Teamsters, but I guess that's not a valid point eh?

As far as TDU they report the positives, but the negatives are so vast with the corruption etc...they and everyone need to point them out.

705red

Browncafe Steward
As far as proving points, it doesn't matter what is posted some wouldn't believe it no matter what. We have already shown what the mechanics under the Machinists union make in pension, which is emabrrassingly higher than ours under the Teamsters, but I guess that's not a valid point eh?

As far as TDU they report the positives, but the negatives are so vast with the corruption etc...they and everyone need to point them out.
Cole its impossible for them to get that much a month at the same payment that we get paid into the pension fund.

The tdu does not point out any positives only the negatives.