Too much business SORRY

SmithBarney

pssst a little known fact: cutting expenses and cutting salaries go hand in hand. So that's why an employee or driver would be a bit nervous.
Not at Fedex... much of it is a shell game, cutting from the lower ranks, to feed the upper ranks, just look at SEC filings. Executive bonuses have increased at high rates, while lower hourly wages have stagnated compared to other jobs in the same segment. Handlers and other lower wage workers are leaving for jobs that pay near the same for either the same work or easier work(ex. Amazon, or even fast food places offering nearly the same pay)

As for cutting non employee expenses, that's a thing you see plenty of in all industry, for Express it's things like extending oil change intervals +1000miles, or Skipping truck washing, Many of the "cost cutting measures" are usually short sighted, like the smaller cheaper doortags, rushed them out without field testing or courier input.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
pssst a little known fact: cutting expenses and cutting salaries go hand in hand. So that's why an employee or driver would be a bit nervous.

How many courier salaries do you think they'll cut with record levels of volume?

59 Dano

It's funny how you think FedEx can charge premium Express prices while handling it with the discount Ground service and not have it bite them eventually.

What's funny about it? There are instances where it can be handled without much of an issue, so they let Ground handle it in those instances. Meanwhile you're babbling on about all sorts of problems that don't exist.

59 Dano

As for cutting non employee expenses, that's a thing you see plenty of in all industry, for Express it's things like extending oil change intervals +1000miles, or Skipping truck washing, Many of the "cost cutting measures" are usually short sighted, like the smaller cheaper doortags, rushed them out without field testing or courier input.

Courier input on doortags would range from "Why are the ones we use now so wordy" to "I thought the ones that had 400 lines of text, most of it in teeny tiny print, didn't have enough information on them."

vantexan

What's funny about it? There are instances where it can be handled without much of an issue, so they let Ground handle it in those instances. Meanwhile you're babbling on about all sorts of problems that don't exist.
You're the one saying Ground can do the whole process, not just the final mile. To my knowledge that doesn't exist. So who's babbling about what doesn't exist? Not me.

El Morado Diablo

Courier input on doortags would range from "Why are the ones we use now so wordy" to "I thought the ones that had 400 lines of text, most of it in teeny tiny print, didn't have enough information on them."

It's comments like this that keep FedEx from being the company they could be. Sure, you get a group of people together and you are going to get some dumb input. On the other hand, you are going to get some great suggestions that could actually make a difference in the customer experience, make people's jobs easier, etc.

The same thing could be said with the LEO's. IMHO, we spend way too much time punching buttons to make deliveries and process pickups than is necessary. You can't help but notice a UPS driver process an entire cart full of packages and leave a pick-up location while I'm halfway through my packages. If the people behind the software actually talked to the couriers doing the job a lot of those menu options could be eliminated to speed things up.

59 Dano

It's comments like this that keep FedEx from being the company they could be. Sure, you get a group of people together and you are going to get some dumb input. On the other hand, you are going to get some great suggestions that could actually make a difference in the customer experience, make people's jobs easier, etc.

They seek that input.

The same thing could be said with the LEO's. IMHO, we spend way too much time punching buttons to make deliveries and process pickups than is necessary. You can't help but notice a UPS driver process an entire cart full of packages and leave a pick-up location while I'm halfway through my packages. If the people behind the software actually talked to the couriers doing the job a lot of those menu options could be eliminated to speed things up.

You mean that 3 or 4 seconds of going through the menus after scanning the packages is that big of a deal?

El Morado Diablo

They seek that input.

Yes, we've all heard about the magical 50 to 500 hourly employees in Memphis who tell FedEx how great the Reach's are, and how awesome the LEO's are, etc, etc, etc.

You mean that 3 or 4 seconds of going through the menus after scanning the packages is that big of a deal?

Yes, why punch the same things over and over again when you don't have to? UPS scans the barcode and that's it. We can do that with the FedEx ship stuff (if it doesn't require you to relabel it). We have to hand enter all the paper airbills, return labels, etc. They don't even have the "Same as last" feature to save time. Those seconds used to matter when we actually tried to live up to "The World On Time" slogan we have plastered on our vehicles and packaging. Sounds a lot better than, "As Long As It's Not A WDL, We're Good!"

HedleyLamarr

They seek that input.

On an old pup route, the UPS guy and I would arrive at a stop at roughly the same time. I would have 20 envelopes, he had about 100 envelopes. All he had to do was scan one barcode on a sheet of paper, throw everything in his truck and he was gone. He was gone faster than I was even though he had more pieces. Not having to scan every individual piece or print labels makes a massive difference.

It will be fine

On an old pup route, the UPS guy and I would arrive at a stop at roughly the same time. I would have 20 envelopes, he had about 100 envelopes. All he had to do was scan one barcode on a sheet of paper, throw everything in his truck and he was gone. He was gone faster than I was even though he had more pieces. Not having to scan every individual piece or print labels makes a massive difference.
Then UPS loses one and denies the claim because there was never a possession scan. There’s a significant value add to scanning each package at a pickup.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Then UPS loses one and denies the claim because there was never a possession scan. There’s a significant value add to scanning each package at a pickup.
You're worried about some possession scan when you should be worried about the lack of quality help you hire.

"Oh they're not home to sign for these DSR packages, so I'll sign for them. Guess I could have rang the doorbell and waited 5 seconds just to be sure but oh well it's just firearms, ammunition and an alcohol shipment."

falcon back

It’s insignificant and a waste of time and money.
If we aren't gonna scan each package, we might as well just scan the cons tag attached to each can and be done with it. Customers want accurate and up to date info on THEIR package, not every other package. If it was "insignificant and a waste of time and money" why is the pizza commercial advertising real time updates on their pizza. Safelight Glass lets you follow the repair truck online. Amazon gives you the option to follow your delivery.

It will be fine

If we aren't gonna scan each package, we might as well just scan the cons tag attached to each can and be done with it. Customers want accurate and up to date info on THEIR package, not every other package. If it was "insignificant and a waste of time and money" why is the pizza commercial advertising real time updates on their pizza. Safelight Glass lets you follow the repair truck online. Amazon gives you the option to follow your delivery.
Think of the time saving if we didn’t scan packages on delivery. Just mark the whole truck delivered when it leaves the building. Then you don’t even need scanners for the drivers. So much money saved!