Tool talk

rod

Retired 22 years
I have good tools and cheap tools. Sometimes I just grab what is convenient. If it is a cheap tool and don't serve the purpose its automatically trashed. I always bought good stuff (lots of Craftsmen when they were good). When my son was a teenager I bought a bunch of cheap stuff (lots of pawn shop stuff)for him because he had a problem putting things away. When he grew up he bought his own good stuff for his job as a glazer. After he passed away I got all his stuff and I also inherited my Dads and my Father-in-laws tools so I have more tools than Home Depot.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The Williams line is great it's basically snap on previous models. Only thing is if you're worried about buying USA you have to be diligent about checking their model numbers.

That's why I went with SK. Virtually their entire catalog is USA made. Check out HJE Home American Made Hand Tools they are tremendous to order from. Everything is new stock since ideal bought SK. If you do order from them request box art. For free they'll paint anything you ask for on your box.
Just found out Channel Locks are made really close to my neck of the woods. Never knew that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes. Ones with Robertson square drives too. Torx and Allen not so much.
I would try and get my hands on multiple brands.

I love the way the wiha brand fits in my hand and the proto durAtek handles are about indestructible if you'd be getting many chemicals on them.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Does anyone here know how Snap-On and Blue Point compare qualitywise? Do they have the same warranty? Is Snap-On worth shelling out the extra money?

I'm more concerned with hand tools like pliers and such than power tools or any other kind of thing.

@1BROWNWRENCH? @Brownslave688?

My main 3/8 ratchet is a SnapOn and I have a Craftsman as a backup. The convenience of having the dealer come to you weekly is nice when something breaks. I like that especially because of the hours I keep. A quality ratchet is good to have. It is not fun smashing your knuckles when a tooth breaks.
The rest of my tools are a mixture of Mac, Proto, Cornwell and Husky. Wrenches are not so important to me on brand, but I do have preferences. I do not like especially slender profiles. Some types of wrenches cannot be had with certain brands. I have a lot of special ones.

Brownslave688

My main 3/8 ratchet is a SnapOn and I have a Craftsman as a backup. The convenience of having the dealer come to you weekly is nice when something breaks. I like that especially because of the hours I keep. A quality ratchet is good to have. It is not fun smashing your knuckles when a tooth breaks.
The rest of my tools are a mixture of Mac, Proto, Cornwell and Husky. Wrenches are not so important to me on brand, but I do have preferences. I do not like especially slender profiles. Some types of wrenches cannot be had with certain brands. I have a lot of special ones.
Snap on wrenches have a notoriously slim profile that can hurt the hands when lots of pressure is applied.

Absolutely love my wright wrightgrip wrenches.

sailfish

The Williams line is great it's basically snap on previous models. Only thing is if you're worried about buying USA you have to be diligent about checking their model numbers.

That's why I went with SK. Virtually their entire catalog is USA made. Check out HJE Home American Made Hand Tools they are tremendous to order from. Everything is new stock since ideal bought SK. If you do order from them request box art. For free they'll paint anything you ask for on your box.
All their SK stuff says it's special order, with none in stock. What's that all about?

Brownslave688

All their SK stuff says it's special order, with none in stock. What's that all about?
Don't know what you're ordering but they are a very small family owned shop so they may not keep a ton in stock. They may also have a very poor inventory system.

I'd give them a call tomorrow if I were you.

sailfish

Don't know what you're ordering but they are a very small family owned shop so they may not keep a ton in stock. They may also have a very poor inventory system.

I'd give them a call tomorrow if I were you.
I ended up getting a combination of SK, Klein, and Channellock from a variety of sources. Gonna be a pretty nice set.