Tool talk

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Honestly in my experience electrical code is pretty realistic and serves practical precaution. This was more likely a manufacturer design oversight.

You can always make an argument for redundant safety measures. That doesn't necessarily mean they are necessary or even good. I've seen stuff that people have jury rigged where you can't actually point to any particular hazards, but it just "doesn't meet code."

I'm in favor of good solid electrical code. Some of it is just overboard, imho.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Use it if makes you feel better
I took it for my ground screw stash.

You can always make an argument for redundant safety measures. That doesn't necessarily mean they are necessary or even good. I've seen stuff that people have jury rigged where you can't actually point to any particular hazards, but it just "doesn't meet code."

I'm in favor of good solid electrical code. Some of it is just overboard, imho.
Well, that's where I'm gonna have to disagree. Not all the code is strictly for safety. A good percent of it is for procedural consistency that "future-proofs" the installation and makes it safer and easier to work on. After having worked on absolute trash and complete dog:censored2: that was installed by hacks and homeowner dip:censored2:s that wasn't necessarily unsafe to run but was an absolute nightmare to work on, I can appreciate the intent of the code.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I took it for my ground screw stash.

Well, that's where I'm gonna have to disagree. Not all the code is strictly for safety. A good percent of it is for procedural consistency that "future-proofs" the installation and makes it safer and easier to work on. After having worked on absolute trash and complete dog* that was installed by hacks and homeowner dip*s that wasn't necessarily unsafe to run but was an absolute nightmare to work on, I can appreciate the intent of the code.

If you can switch a breaker off, what else do you need to be safe? I'm being both funny and serious.

sailfish

If you can switch a breaker off, what else do you need to be safe? I'm being both funny and serious.
Inadequate ampacity from improper conductor sizes or overcurrent protection is a common offender I come across. This can cause fires and breakers that will never trip. Overpacked junction boxes can lead to kinked wires, skinned insulated, screws through wires, and heat buildup which will also reduce a conductor's ampacity. I've seen box connectors clamped too tight onto romex, which can eventually rub through into the wire; best case scenario is looking for a hellishly difficult short, worst case is a blatant fire hazard. Sheathed wire ran inside of conduit can build up excess heat depending on what it is powering. Some scenarios necessitate installation of a new circuit or the changing of a breaker on a live panel; if the panel is a rat's nest piece of :censored2: it will be difficult to find adequate clearance to work around energized parts. BX and MC that is twisted or kinked can separate and expose high voltage wires and touch them against the sharp metal edges of the armor. Boxes with wires that were cut too short can make it difficult to ensure proper splice connections which in turn can burn up components from excessive amp draw (plus they're a complete pain in the ass). Some of the stuff I can think of off the top of my head at least. But I know there's more.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Inadequate ampacity from improper conductor sizes or overcurrent protection is a common offender I come across. This can cause fires and breakers that will never trip. Overpacked junction boxes can lead to kinked wires, skinned insulated, screws through wires, and heat buildup which will also reduce a conductor's ampacity. I've seen box connectors clamped too tight onto romex, which can eventually rub through into the wire; best case scenario is looking for a hellishly difficult short, worst case is a blatant fire hazard. Sheathed wire ran inside of conduit can build up excess heat depending on what it is powering. Some scenarios necessitate installation of a new circuit or the changing of a breaker on a live panel; if the panel is a rat's nest piece of * it will be difficult to find adequate clearance to work around energized parts. BX and MC that is twisted or kinked can separate and expose high voltage wires and touch them against the sharp metal edges of the armor. Boxes with wires that were cut too short can make it difficult to ensure proper splice connections which in turn can burn up components from excessive amp draw (plus they're a complete pain in the ass). Some of the stuff I can think of off the top of my head at least. But I know there's more.
You’re one smart plumber….

sailfish

Built a new lamp last weekend.

20210808_185844.jpg

sailfish

Very industrial chic. I've scrapped a bunch of rear-projection TV's and saved the different color lenses that go over the crt projectors. I plan to build a hanging pendant light with the lenses joined together around the bulb in a globe shape. Like the style in the pic below, but the circles would be green, red and clear lenses.View attachment 348138
When I made that one my goal was for it to be built entirely out of commercial electrical construction parts with nothing makeshift or purely for decoration. With that out of the way, I'd like to make one of those iron pipe lamps.

pipe-lamp-photo-9.jpg

sailfish

I was going to ask about doing iron pipe. Maybe you can use leftover conduit for one too.
I considered it. You could but regular EMT conduit is kinda soft so it's light and easy to bend, so I personally don't think it'd be that great for something like a lamp because it could get damaged too easily. You could use rigid conduit but I find that it's typically only used in really heavy industrial settings so the variety of nipple lengths stocked at regular hardware stores seems to be pretty limited. You would have to use conduit bodies to get the sharp 90s needed which having a ton of those in such a small space as a lamp would look kinda sloppy, which is why I ended up not doing it. At least iron fittings will keep everything looking compact and clean.

conduit.jpg

sailfish

Decided to try dating my old Leatherman today. Determined it to be from 1996, making it very arguably my first real tool. Glad I've managed to keep track of it after all these years.

20210822_133400-jpg.349229