Top Political Donors over the last 20 years

I wasn't really all that surprised and to see UPS up there didn't at all shock me.

From the comments:
A million teachers donating 20 dollars is not the same as an oil company funding a 20 million dollar ad campaign with shareholder money.
I fail to see the difference he was making except that the "oil company was using "share holder" money, probably with out their expressed consent. That would would be a share holders problem, maybe.

I wasn't really all that surprised and to see UPS up there didn't at all shock me.

From the comments:

I fail to see the difference he was making except that the "oil company was using "share holder" money, probably with out their expressed consent. That would would be a share holders problem, maybe.

Maybe getting away from the point you were making, but the table kinda takes away for the "Rich Republican Party" claim one hears the left using so much. The Dem's garnered $100 million more in the top 20 than the republicans did throughout the whole list. That's not even adding in the dem contributions in the lower 120.

bbsam

Staff member
Does it strike anyone as strange that UPS if pouring huge amounts of money into the Republican Party along with Fred S's money with the Republicans seeming to protect Fred's "compeitive edge" in reulatory category?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Does it strike anyone as strange that UPS if pouring huge amounts of money into the Republican Party along with Fred S's money with the Republicans seeming to protect Fred's "compeitive edge" in reulatory category?

I find that strange also. Gotta love politics and money...some palms are greased better then others.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Ah the link works now. Now i see why the Dems have so much money. I guess the myth of Republicans getting all the money from the fat cats kinda falls short...actually it does not look even close.

bbsam

Staff member
Ah the link works now. Now i see why the Dems have so much money. I guess the myth of Republicans getting all the money from the fat cats kinda falls short...actually it does not look even close.
Don't be such a simpleton. Republicans bring their's in through back-channels.

wkmac

Don't be such a simpleton. Republicans bring their's in through back-channels.

Sterling, Colo. (By Stephanie Simon, LATimes) October 31, 2006 — Unions, corporations and wealthy individuals have pumped nearly $300 million this year into unregulated political groups, funding dozens of aggressive and sometimes shadowy campaigns independent of party machines.

The groups, both liberal and conservative, air TV and radio spots, conduct polls, run phone banks, canvass door-to-door and stage get-out-the-vote rallies, with no oversight by the Federal Election Commission. Set up as tax-exempt "issue advocacy" committees, they cannot explicitly endorse candidates. But they can do everything short of telling voters how to mark their ballots.

Because they can accept unlimited donations from any source, the committees — known as 527s — have emerged as the favored vehicle for millionaires and interest groups seeking to set the political agenda.

By far the largest chunk of unregulated money — nearly $60 million — comes straight out of union treasuries and is used mostly to benefit Democratic candidates and causes.

Unregulated 527 Groups

I didn't say a thing!

:winks:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Citizens United. The back door for Republicans to do whatever dirty deeds they wish. "Thanks" Supremes!! Clarence ("Pubic Hair") Thomas and the other Right Wing tools really did us a favor. Or, more accurately, they did their corporate friends a true favor.

wkmac

Citizens United. The back door for Republicans to do whatever dirty deeds they wish. "Thanks" Supremes!! Clarence ("Pubic Hair") Thomas and the other Right Wing tools really did us a favor. Or, more accurately, they did their corporate friends a true favor.

Hey bbsam, should I rock his world or would you like to tell him with a more gentle approach!

:happy-very:

Ah I can't resist so here's just a small taste!

President Obama’s decision to increase military spending this year and in the future will result in the greatest administrative military spending since World War II. This decision is being made in spite of continued evidence of extreme waste, fraud, abuse, and corporate welfare in the military budget. At the same time, spending on “non-security” domestic programs such as education, nutrition, energy, and transportation will be frozen, resulting in inflationary cuts to essential services for the US public over the upcoming years.

Obama Cuts Domestic Spending and Increases Military Corporate Welfare

President Obama is not "anti-business," as many conservative critics charge. He's just anti-free market. To better understand this distinction, just look at his latest initiative: trying to double U.S. exports in five years.
Obama's National Export Initiative, embraced by the big business lobby, is a raft of subsidies, handouts and "public-private partnerships." Obama uses the phrase "free trade" to describe this push, but there's nothing free about corporate welfare.
The heart of Obama's initiative is accelerating the activity of the Export-Import Bank, a government agency that subsidizes U.S. exports. Ex-Im lends money directly to foreign companies or governments -- or guarantees private bank loans -- so that the foreign buyers will buy American.
Calling Ex-Im "corporate welfare" isn't a slur -- it's a description. The White House brags that, as part of Obama's export initiative, "Ex-Im has more than doubled its loans to support American exporters from the same period last year. ... "
Perhaps to blunt the corporate-welfare charge, the administration portrays Ex-Im as a savior of small business. Last month, Ex-Im Chairman Fred Hochberg held a photo op in Centennial, Colo., trumpeting the jobs saved at Stolle Machinery by a subsidy enticing a Saudi Arabian company to buy machinery from Stolle.
But check out the minutes from the Ex-Im board meeting at which the Stolle subsidy was finalized. The other subsidies given either final or preliminary approval weren't so photo-op friendly: a federal guarantee for JP Morgan to subsidize a Boeing aircraft sale to Turkey's Pegasus Airlines; another loan guarantee for Boeing to sell jets to Asiana Airlines; $20 million in financing to subsidize GE turbines going to Slovakia; a direct loan of more than $20 million to the Pakistani government to buy GE locomotives; and yet another Boeing subsidy guaranteeing jet sales to Nigeria.
If you think Boeing's showing up a lot, you're getting the point. Last year, Ex-Im dedicated 64 percent of loans and long-term guarantees to subsidize Boeing sales. Yes, this federal agency exists mostly to subsidize one corporation.
Which brings us to the President's Export Council. Its chairman is Jim McNerney, CEO of Boeing.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/node/66801#ixzz1Faatk5IJ

One of Obama’s own advisers admits that the cap-and-trade energy-rationing scheme backed by the “Obama Administration and Congressional Democrats” would “have a trivially small effect on global warming while imposing substantial costs on all American households. And to get political support in key states, the legislation would abandon the auctioning of permits in favor of giving permits to selected corporations.”
Obama adviser Martin Feldstein notes that “the Congressional Budget Office recently estimated that the resulting increases in consumer prices” from capping the amount of carbon dioxide energy users can emit “would raise the cost of living of a typical household by $1,600 a year,” a figure that “would rise significantly” from year to year.
Meanwhile, politically-connected corporations would make a bundle, since the “bill would give away some 85 percent of the permits” to emit carbon dioxide to favored “businesses instead of selling them at auction.”

More Crony Capitalism, Obama Style

Oh and if you think your democrats are immune from the influence of the Kochtopus, think again! Looking at all that corp. welfare, seems Koch money in democrat wallets was well served. Now tell me again whose really your daddy? David or Charles?

:happy-very: