Transfering to another UPS

Why doesnt UPS let you transfer to another UPS?

this is really ridiculous that someone has to spend the rest of there life at 1 ups and is not allowed to transfer to another one. And they happen to go to another UPS they lose all seniority

SWORDFISH

this is really ridiculous that someone has to spend the rest of there life at 1 ups and is not allowed to transfer to another one. And they happen to go to another UPS they lose all seniority

Your post contradicts itself bro. Your saying at first why cant you transfer and then you are saying when you transfer you lose all your senority. Im assuming then you know you can transfer? You dont lose your senority date but you do go to the bottom of the senority list. I happen to love the rule. What if your a part timer that has been waiting 7 years to drive and your next up. Right before they send you to driving school you get 3 new part time transfers in your center w/ higher senority dates than yours. You realize that you would then be waiting another a few years to drive if that were not the policy. Or your a driver and you have finally worked your way up to a position where you can have summer vacations, bid a good route, and not work the extra holidays like day after thanksgiving. Say 3 new drivers transfer into your center all w/ more senority. Now you have lost your chance to bid a good route, working all extra days now, and taking vacations in march if at all. Is it really a bad policy or are you just venting?

SWORDFISH

There is a transfer list that is supposed to be posted every year and you have to put your name on it. Also is a list of available places to transfer.

ups1990

Swordfish, I too was shaking my head when reading blackjack's thread. You've got to be kidding me. Nobody should be upset at UPS for not allowing them to move from hub to hub, city to city and state to state. They run the company and we work for them. UPS, does currently have a transfer list but employees are limited as to where they can transfer to.

wyobill

Every New Yorker and California would want to transfer here to Northern Wyoming. No local people would ever get hired. We dont mind you visiting here but you have to go home:happy-very:

With how i posted it it may contradict myself, But i kinda knew you just couldnt transfer, but i thought there maybe other ways to transfer and still not lose anything... Being able to work something out.
First of all I dont think that many people would really transfer, People just dont move around all the time. But sometimes people are forced to relocate for other reasons. For this reason you should be able to transfer and keep your seniority, benefits, Just offering something where they could keep benefits at least
Maybe just putting a transfer into the local sort or being able to drive saturdays until a route opens up or something.

Yes you have a point that being there all that time and someone transfers and bumps you out, but what if someone is a 15 year and is forced to relocate for something are they expected to lose everything and start from scratch.

I just would feel bad for someone that has to relocate and still would like to be at UPS but would lose everything. thats all.

Last edited:

fethrs

The transfer list that is posted is for drivers, and they only loose seniority at the center they transfer too, not company seniority, it sucks, but that's the way it is, there is no "working something out" it's not fair to the other drivers with more center/building seniority.

As for other transfers, it's possible, but only if there is a current opening to the new hub/center for the same job. There are also education transfers but I think that applies mainly to management, I don't know the details, they are listed in the master contract I think.

I have heard of folks getting fired at one hub and being rehired at another hub, in that case I would imagine all seniority is lost but, again, I am not sure.
(Some good info there, not sure this, not sure that) :peaceful:

So if you transfer, you would lose seniority at the building, ( this would make sense)
but do you still keep your vacation time / pay right?

fethrs

So if you transfer, you would lose seniority at the building, ( this would make sense)
but do you still keep your vacation time / pay right?
Yes for the vacation time but the pay rate, I don't know. It may depend on the job, the local, and the area. There are some jobs that are the same that may have different pay rates in different areas. I think the driver rate is the same everywhere. I am not a driver though.

Overpaid Union Thug

I transferred. Transferring shouldn't be a big deal at UPS but for some reason it is. I like FedEx's transfer policy. Company seniority goes with them when they transfer. We had a FedEx driver transfer in as a part-timer at the local FedEx station and she ended up going full-time soon after once there was an opening. So yeah....a part-timer that was already at that station before her, but with less company seniority, was probably pissed but company seniority rules instead of building seniority so there was nothing they could do. I wish it was like that at UPS. That situation (believe it or not) doesn't happen that often though. I talked to a FedEx supervisor one day at a drop box and he said their transfer policy seemed to work fine for them. He was shocked when I told him how transferring at UPS was such a pain in the you know what. I'm glad I did it though. It just sucks being so far down on the seniority list from people that started working at UPS after me. In some cases YEARS after me. Many people believe that building seniority should prevail but I don't see how letting a less experienced employee move up the latter over a more seasoned employee could make any sense to anyone but oh well. The transfer policy at FedEx seems better to me but not enough for me to jump ship and start wearing purple. NO WAY.

fethrs

That is what is happening at my building with the 22.3 lay offs.

They are going by combo seniority and people with more company/building seniority are getting laid off while people with less company/building seniority are keeping their combo jobs.

SWORDFISH

Blackjack, you dont lose anything but your place in line when you transfer unless you transfer from 1 side of the US to the other. If you do that your basically starting over. I know 2 people that did that. You can do an education transfer unless the rules have changed your able to do that as a UPS employee(hourly worker). I also know 2 people did that but you have to go to school in that area. Actually one guy cheated he registered for school and then quit and was still able to transfer w/ out losing building senority. Those case were all at least 5 years ago though so Im not gauranteeing you anything. We are very lucky that we are in a company that we could transfer at all. If we worked for a company like Boeing or somthing like that you cant transfer if you have to move you have to find another job.
Make sure if you transfer its where you want to go cuz it can be a BI*CH getting back.

Dustyroads

Although it isn't a transfer, here, one can bid jobs at other centers that are within our local. One of the problems with "transfers" is that various supplements and riders differ throughout the company, applying a little different rules to drivers in different parts of the country. We've had a few drivers who have bid jobs in other centers within our local, in a couple of these instances, it was because a driver with very little seniority who could not work every day in our center could bid a job that no one wanted in another center and work virtually every day.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
how many time are you going to ask that question? I noticed you asked the same question last year, did you not like the ansewers you got then?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is one of those things that vary depending on what part of the country you live in . We can't transfer here unless our Center moves or the delivery area is sent to another building. I live about ten miles from the original Atlanta Hub that I started at. But my Center was moved back in 1991 when a new Hub was built, so I have a 27 mile drive. The only way I could transfer is to quit my job and hope I could get hired at another building and lose all Center seniority and start at the bottom of the pay scale. Since UPS is such a "Green Company", it would seem that they would allow transfers in certain situations, but they don't really care.

1000RR

I am a part time hourly that just put the paperwork in for an educational transfer. Article 22.4 may have the answers you are looking for. I have 3 years in at my center, if my transfer gets approved I will keep my pay rate and NUMBER of vacations. However my vacation picks will endtail and I will be the first one to get laid off. Your local may have language that overrides the National Master. Hope this helps.