Transfering to another UPS

ryan74701

lol I know, but the fact you can get around not being able to transfer by just quitting is amusing, not to mention wasteful, if he has to go through all the training classes all over again making ups spend thousands of dollars again just because they wont let people transfer to another hub is ridiculous, i think if a hub has no package handlers and anyone else at that hub that is applying for that position then ups should let another employee transfer in, but what do i know, ive only been here 8 months, in this god forsaken state of north dakota.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

u can not tranfered to other location u will loss everything

You can transfer within our Western region.

cannot be rehired to other location

This is not true. When an employee separates they are given a hire/no rehire status.

brown_trousers

u can not tranfered to other location u will loss everything

You can transfer within our Western region.

cannot be rehired to other location

This is not true. When an employee separates they are given a hire/no rehire status.

Wow. That sucks for those people on the East coast that want to make a move. I guess they can wish for transfer language in the next contract, though I doubt that it is really a priority for the upcoming negotiations. Its a great thing out here on the west coast, because a transfer takes up the 1 in 6 outside hire, which keeps union jobs within the union, instead of giving the spot to a supervisor.

dqs95124

Hi - Can I follow my BF to another state with a transfer, or do we need to be married. He's getting transferred by his work, which is not UPS. I've got 13 years at UPS, 11 of them as a driver.

Also - What about pensions? In California we have a combined UPS/Teamster Pension. Is Florida the same? What are the consequences I'd be facing with the move from CA to FL around the pension? Anyone know?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You do realize that the only transfers hourlies qualify for (other than hardship) are educational transfers, which are reserved for PTers.

You would most likely have to quit and get rehired.

You and your wife have a lot to discuss before making this move.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hi - Can I follow my BF to another state with a transfer, or do we need to be married. He's getting transferred by his work, which is not UPS. I've got 13 years at UPS, 11 of them as a driver.

Also - What about pensions? In California we have a combined UPS/Teamster Pension. Is Florida the same? What are the consequences I'd be facing with the move from CA to FL around the pension? Anyone know?
Talk to your BA. There are things about transferring where your pension is concerned. I know, I am Western Conference also.

UPSGUY72

Your problem is that he's your BF not husband I don't think your be able to get a hardship transfer also you have to apply and it could take a while and they are not guaranteed they other building has to have a slot for you and has to except you if you did transfers you would loss all your driver seniority and start out as the junior driver all over again.

The Pension FUNDS are not the same you would have a pension from your CA and would have a new one in FL whether or not you would would have to wait to be vested again in the one in Florida I don't but I would guess yes since they are totally different pension funds you would have to wait to be vest which is 5 years.

UPSGUY72

Wow. That sucks for those people on the East coast that want to make a move. I guess they can wish for transfer language in the next contract, though I doubt that it is really a priority for the upcoming negotiations. Its a great thing out here on the west coast, because a transfer takes up the 1 in 6 outside hire, which keeps union jobs within the union, instead of giving the spot to a supervisor.

You will never see it in the next contract transfer create a lot of headaches and problem that is why it's not in the contract. How many companies out there do you know that allow there employees to transfer to another state.....

packageguy

You will never see it in the next contract transfer create a lot of headaches and problem that is why it's not in the contract. How many companies out there do you know that allow there employees to transfer to another state.....

I asked my union rep why we can not transfer, he told me unions don't want to give up pension, i was under the impression that it's international was holding the monies. He said company had nothing to do with it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I asked my union rep why we can not transfer, he told me unions don't want to give up pension, i was under the impression that it's international was holding the monies. He said company had nothing to do with it.

The company could care less---it is the union. Pension money for those under Teamster pension plans is held in that pension plan fund.

stealth8

When I moved from the Baltimore Hub to the Burtonsville Hub in 1982 I lost my 2 years of service towards my pension,because I switched from Local 355 to Local 639. Local 639 did not recognize the two years I did in Baltimore. This meant that I had to work 32 years at UPS to get my 30 year pension. However Local 639 recognizes the money that was paid into the plan for me in Baltimore. Now that I am ready to leave, my total pension is my 32 year benefit from Local 639 plus my 2 year benefit from Local 355. I did have to work the extra two years to get my full pension, but I think that it was a fair deal. My example shows how things can get complicated when you move from one Hub to another.

UPSGUY72

When I moved from the Baltimore Hub to the Burtonsville Hub in 1982 I lost my 2 years of service towards my pension,because I switched from Local 355 to Local 639. Local 639 did not recognize the two years I did in Baltimore. This meant that I had to work 32 years at UPS to get my 30 year pension. However Local 639 recognizes the money that was paid into the plan for me in Baltimore. Now that I am ready to leave, my total pension is my 32 year benefit from Local 639 plus my 2 year benefit from Local 355. I did have to work the extra two years to get my full pension, but I think that it was a fair deal. My example shows how things can get complicated when you move from one Hub to another.

You must have been vested after 2 year back then....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You must have been vested after 2 year back then....

I think you may be confused as to how vesting works. In most locals you have to work 5 years to be vested. If you leave before the 5 years you are not eligible for a pension. If you stay beyond the 5 years you get credit for all years worked, including the initial 5 years. Stealth initially lost his 2 years of service/pension credit in Baltimore when he transferred to Burtonsville; however, he got lucky when Burtonsville gave him credit for the two years. He worked 32 years and receives a combined 32 year pension.

browned_out

Suppose you are a PTer who has been working at UPS for ten years and are now the highest on the seniority list. You have patiently waited your turn to go driving. You are all set to sign the bid list when this new guy transfers in from another center and takes the bid away from you. Good point, this is the one I always hear. However, is it fair to put the person transferring in at the bottom of the center seniority list? In your scenerio the tranfer would have more then ten years seniority, but its ok to put them at the bottom behind someone who could have been hired the day before. Where is the justification in that, I mean he/she has put in over ten years of hard work. The union is all about seniority, but when it comes to tranfers that goes out the window.

Another point to consider are the different pension plans throughout the country. If UPS/Teamsters allowed transfers at will without loss of seniority we would have employees shopping the various pension plans to find the one that they like and transfer within that district.

I do think that UPS should allow transfers to help an employee attend to the medical needs of a relative or to accompany a spouse who is being relocated due to their job. I do agree that the employee should keep their company seniority but disagree that they should keep building seniority--you transfer you go to the bottom of the list.

browned_out

Your post contradicts itself bro. Your saying at first why cant you transfer and then you are saying when you transfer you lose all your senority. Im assuming then you know you can transfer? You dont lose your senority date but you do go to the bottom of the senority list. I happen to love the rule. What if your a part timer that has been waiting 7 years to drive and your next up. Right before they send you to driving school you get 3 new part time transfers in your center w/ higher senority dates than yours. You realize that you would then be waiting another a few years to drive if that were not the policy. Or your a driver and you have finally worked your way up to a position where you can have summer vacations, bid a good route, and not work the extra holidays like day after thanksgiving. Say 3 new drivers transfer into your center all w/ more senority. Now you have lost your chance to bid a good route, working all extra days now, and taking vacations in march if at all. Is it really a bad policy or are you just venting?

In areas that allow transfers, there are ratios that have to be meet in order for a center to accept a transfer. I am on the west coast, we currently have a 6 to 1 ratio, 6 part timers have to be promoted to full time just to accept the transfer. Now I not sure about every center in the company, but promoting that many part timers does not happen overnight. In fact we just had a transfer come to our center, you want to guess when the last transfer came? 8 years ago! You make it sound like alot of people would be displaced, but because of the ratios that would not happen. That is why the langauge was put into the contract.

So if there is langauge to protect the part timers/full timers from being displaced, why does the transfer have to take such a drastic cut in seniority? The bottom line is that the current langauge needs to be modified so that the transfer does not get screwed out of there full seniority

Overpaid Union Thug

I believe that company seniority should count for transfers. Maybe with a six month to one year wait to bid on jobs once transferred. Some here like to mention the scenario of someone waiting their turn and being outbid by someone who had just transferred in as if it wouldn't be fake. Well it would be fair because the transfer had earned their seniority. Plus, it is more fair than having an "off the street hire" get a job over a Transfer. Also... the practice of carrying one's seniority with them works well in plenty of other jobs outside of UPS. Including our competiton and the military. Its just the right thing to do when you think about logically.