Transfers

Oakmaster

Just got a job as a PM package handler. I was wondering how easy it is to get transferred to another city in another state. I am thinking of moving to Eugene, OR and I currently reside in San Diego, CA. Is it possible to take my job with me if I move?

Overpaid Union Thug

You have to wait a year to transfer. If you are new it would be easier to just quit but have HR contact the UPS near where you are moving to and maybe they can get you in there. Go to HR before you quit and tell them your intentions.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
We have always been told no transfers for hourly. If you want to move, you normally have to give up your seniority and reapply in new city.

Overpaid Union Thug

Part-timers can transfers and full-timers can too but that is so rarely approved it might as well be a myth. There are 4 people in my building that all transfered from the same hub.

nyymt62

I am a student and have been working in my hub for about five months now. I am thinking about transferring to another part of the state, and assumed that because of my student status- everything would go fairly smoothly. Am I wrong in thinking this?

N

NWUPSER

For part-timers they will usually transfer you if you are moving for school reasons, but usually will ask you to provide proof of enrollment in the new school. Much harder to transfer to a small rural center since there has to be a job opening there. Almost guaranteed if you are transfering to a HUB.

brownrod

easiest way to transfer is to get accepted to a community college where you want to move. Then they can give you an educational transfer. community colleges accept anyone. Just get accepted then don't take classes. But I think you need 1 year in before they give you this kind of transfer.

Other than that you would have to quit and get rehired. If they think you are a great worker right now then it probably wont' be too hard to get on in a new location.

KRAM

I could be wrong, but I believe if you are wanting to transfer within your district it is pretty much a done deal and no problems, just need to have a job opening there. Example would be I work in the Kansas District and can tranfer within it with no problems. If I want to transfer out of my district it has to be approved which like someone else said is so rare it could be a myth, but they want a very good reason to transfer you like say a spouse got transfered at thier job and a move is a must for you. For part-timers going to school and changing schools might be a good reason to allow the transfer. It may all be based on how much of a brown noser you are.

W

westsideworma

I could be wrong, but I believe if you are wanting to transfer within your district it is pretty much a done deal and no problems, just need to have a job opening there. Example would be I work in the Kansas District and can tranfer within it with no problems. If I want to transfer out of my district it has to be approved which like someone else said is so rare it could be a myth, but they want a very good reason to transfer you like say a spouse got transfered at thier job and a move is a must for you. For part-timers going to school and changing schools might be a good reason to allow the transfer. It may all be based on how much of a brown noser you are.

Yeah people seem to move back and forth between centers and hubs a lot in our district. Mostly hub workers though, I've yet to see that happen for drivers (which is understandable).

Overpaid Union Thug

My transfer was a headache but only because my full-time sup was a #*tch and made it as difficult as possible for me. Here is how things should work.....write a letter stating you want to transfer from such and such hub to such and such hub....give it and a copy of your acceptance letter to HR....wait for approval.....done. And someone was write when they said transferring to a small center was difficult. Turnover at those is next to nothing. In my center we once went a full year without anyone quiting. In the hubs they'll sometimes lose 10-20 people in as little as a week.

breadbooze

I've been told there would be no problems transferring, this coming from my center manager who knows I'm engaged and wont be sticking around after getting married. The transfer goes through once I put in a request and there's an opening at the hub/center I'd be transferring to. Building seniority would be lost though my original hire date remains the same. we'll see how this goes after september of next year.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
My transfer was a headache but only because my full-time sup was a #*tch and made it as difficult as possible for me. Here is how things should work.....write a letter stating you want to transfer from such and such hub to such and such hub....give it and a copy of your acceptance letter to HR....wait for approval.....done. And someone was write when they said transferring to a small center was difficult. Turnover at those is next to nothing. In my center we once went a full year without anyone quiting. In the hubs they'll sometimes lose 10-20 people in as little as a week.

Kinda old but I thought relevant. I transferred schools and requested a transfer. My full-timer was behind it, several full-timers I mentioned it to said they'd give a good word if approached, hell even the SORT manager was behind it. I requested the transfer in September and in October, the sort manager comes up and says, "I wish there was something I could say or do to talk ya outta leaving the Company." He said it two more times: in November and December of 2004. Peak ends and I start really pushing for a go or no go. Finally, my LAST night, the HR man says, "I don't think this is gonna happen, buddy." I was declared a clear. I went and found the Sort manager and told him my status, as he'd requested I do earlier that evening. He shook his head, and said, once again, "What can I say, what can I do to talk ya outt leavin the Company? C'mon, man. One thing." I looked at the man, smiled and said, "X, you can shake my hand and wish me good luck." He grasped my proffered hand and said, "Good luck and God-bless, my brother." I decided to take a week off before departure for school and I kept calling HR, waiting for the official no-go. Finally, on Wednesday, I told the HR guy, "Look, buddy. I'm leaving on Friday for school. This MUST be settled by then!" He said, "All right. I understand. Call me around 3:30 tomorrow and I'll have a definite answer for you. OK?" I agreed. I called him the next day and he was ON the phone with the person in the new district. He called back about fifteen minutes later and says, "Man, I am very, very, very, very sorry. We just can't make this happen."

Overpaid Union Thug

Transfers are ultimately decided by the head of HR and your immediate full-time supervisor. They have to approve it. Unless you are just a total loser (excessive call ins, lazy, etc.,) then they should approve it. The only thing that should stop a transfer is if there isn't an opening at the building you wish to transfer to. If someone is transfering to a hub, which usually has a high turnover rate, then they should have no trouble.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Transfers are ultimately decided by the head of HR and your immediate full-time supervisor. They have to approve it. Unless you are just a total loser (excessive call ins, lazy, etc.,) then they should approve it. The only thing that should stop a transfer is if there isn't an opening at the building you wish to transfer to. If someone is transfering to a hub, which usually has a high turnover rate, then they should have no trouble.

That was my problem, big arrow. I was trying to transfer from one of the largest hubs in the U.S. (Addison, IL) to a center in the middle of nowhere. I was given a choice two weeks before Christmas 2004: my career or my education. I chose my education. Strange as it may see to some, given the opportunity to do it over, I'd do the same thing--in a heartbeat.

J

JonFrum

From the National Master UPS Agreement, available (as Fate would have it) right here on BrownCafe . . .
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement.335360/
"ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 6 - Part-time Employee Transfer

Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following conditions:

A. A part-time opening exists at the desired location.

B. Employees must have attained seniority and been employed by the Employer for at least one (1) year.

C. Job Classification Seniority shall be end-tailed.

D. Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of holidays in accordance with the applicable Supplement at the new location.

E. Any expenses, including moving expenses associated with an approved transfer, shall be the responsibility of the employee."

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
From the National Master UPS Agreement, available (as Fate would have it) right here on BrownCafe . . .
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement.335360/
"ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 6 - Part-time Employee Transfer

Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following conditions:

A. A part-time opening exists at the desired location.

B. Employees must have attained seniority and been employed by the Employer for at least one (1) year.

C. Job Classification Seniority shall be end-tailed.

D. Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of holidays in accordance with the applicable Supplement at the new location.

E. Any expenses, including moving expenses associated with an approved transfer, shall be the responsibility of the employee."

There's a sheet to be filled out when you submit the request. I remember it quoted a given section of the contract and the above conditions. This was my 4th Peak in one form or another. Its an experience.