Transition from PT management to professional position

Dobie

Is it possible or how common is it to transition from part-time management to a professional position?

I recently started working at UPS as a pre-load package handler, and it looks like I will be entering a PT management position soon.

I may be interested in eventually transitioning into a professional role soon, such as inside sales rep, for financial and professional development reasons. I have a bachelor's degree in Sport Management with a Business Admin minor (3.0 gpa), and am looking at going back to school for a masters degree so the extra pay and professional experience would be very beneficial.

I'm also not sure if professional positions receive tuition assistance like PT management, so if anyone can answer this question as well it would be very helpful.

Thanks for any and all info and advice!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Our sales people are stupid as stupid comes. They make all kinds of promises about pick up times before talking to the driver.

Box Ox

No idea what the answer is, but you may want to look into whether it's easier to move from union PT hourly or PT sup into a "professional" position. I'd imagine you might get more resistance in the latter role unless you've been a PT sup for a while.

Indecisi0n

My sales Rep schedules pickups during my lunch time (I take same hr everyday). She then asks me about concerns on why I am late to all her pickups.

DieHardUPSER

Depends on where you are located. We have very large groups of professionals in NJ, NY, MD, KY and GA who support our IT, Brokerage and other non operation functions. Many of those jobs are posted on the Management Career Opportunities page within UPSers.

Dr.Brownz

Get ready to drive anyway when the company under staffs, because they always do. I remember someone posting a story about a lawyer that UPS sent to help a driver once.....

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Professional positions don't exist in operations. Operations is where the corporate management send the rejects in hopes they'll quit, or where management start out in hopes of going to corporate with broken promises.

Either way, use the UPS name to find a real professional job out in the real world, operations is a dead end. Once there, you get stuck due to the lack of demand and you never get a replacement for your spot so you can move on.