Tree Branches

Zowert

How many of you have clipped a good size tree branch?

Story time:
The other day I was going down a narrow street with giant trees on both sides (all city property) when a 5-6 ft long branch got hooked in my mirror frame and just about ripped the damn mirror off. I heard a loud snap and all of a sudden I got this branch as thick as my arm hitching a ride with me.

I stop. Get out to inspect the damage, surprisingly none. Standing on the sidewalk is this old man who’s glaring at me. “Smooth” he says. I shrug. “Are you gonna fix that?” I look at him kind of confused, “Fix... a, uh, broken tree branch?” The old fart just shakes his head and walks off.

I remove the branch and lean it up against its tree, do one more check for damage and take off. As I’m in the cab I see a woman taking a picture of the back of my truck. Great. This was Friday, haven’t heard anyone call in about it, which doesn’t surprise me since it was the city’s tree and it was long overdue for trimming. Some of the trees on this particular street hang several feet into the road where larger vehicles could hit them and often do.

Thinking about taking a hacksaw with me and sawing some of these damn branches off on this street, since I have to deliver on it every day and I’m tired of doing 15mph under the speed limit to avoid damaging the truck. I don’t think this would fly with the tree huggers that live in the neighborhood though.

Last edited:

brostalss

We had a driver in my old center take off from a break and forgot to check his clearance and just about made his package car into a convertible.

Oak tree branch vs. package car. Oak tree branch won.

Zowert

We had a driver in my old center take off from a break and forgot to check his clearance and just about made his package car into a convertible.

Oak tree branch vs. package car. Oak tree branch won.

Jesus. Yeah, luckily these were some dried up Northern California pines.

trickpony1

I think, by law or some ordinance, the local government is required to keep the tree limbs trimmed in a manner that will allow emergency equipment unabated access.

I think pkg cars are close to the same size as, for example, a ladder truck of the fire dept.

over9five

Staff member
Seems to me it's the citys responsibility to trim the trees. I think I would give their public works office a call, and POLITELY request they trim on that street.

trickpony1

Would the company prefer that we go "left of center" to avoid a branch and have a "head on" with some innocent motorist?

When I was in pkg cars, I broke a mirror(OMG). I told the supe these were my choices. Nothing more was said.

upsgrunt

There are no more accidents or incidents at UPS. Everything now is a "crash". They love to use that term for everything from tree branches to ruts on the ground. I don't get it.

IESucks

Story time:
The other day I was going down a narrow street with giant trees on both sides (all city property) when a 5-6 ft long branch got hooked in my mirror frame and just about ripped the damn mirror off. I heard a loud snap and all of a sudden I got this branch as thick as my arm hitching a ride with me.

I stop. Get out to inspect the damage, surprisingly none. Standing on the sidewalk is this old man who’s glaring at me. “Smooth” he says. I shrug. “Are you gonna fix that?” I look at him kind of confused, “Fix... a, uh, broken tree branch?” The old fart just shakes his head and walks off.

I remove the branch and lean it up against its tree, do one more check for damage and take off. As I’m in the cab I see a woman taking a picture of the back of my truck. Great. This was Friday, haven’t heard anyone call in about it, which doesn’t surprise me since it was the city’s tree and it was long overdue for trimming. Some of the trees on this particular street hang several feet into the road where larger vehicles could hit them and often do.

Thinking about taking a hacksaw with me and sawing some of these damn branches off on this street, since I have to deliver on it every day and I’m tired of doing 15mph under the speed limit to avoid damaging the truck. I don’t think this would fly with the tree huggers that live in the neighborhood though.
Ups is instructing you to deliver on that street . It's their problem. I hope you notified ur sup. Not reporting it is grounds for dismissal. Notify ups of the problem

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ups is instructing you to deliver on that street . It's their problem. I hope you notified ur sup. Not reporting it is grounds for dismissal. Notify ups of the problem
Not exactly. If you can’t deliver it safely by driving then cart the packages up and walk them off

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
On more than one occasion I had a branch whack the top of the truck. Always crossed my fingers when checking to see if the upper lights were still intact.

oldupsman

I broke off more than one tree branch during my career. Mostly on peoples driveways. Would always pick up
the branch and take it down the road and dump it somewhere. Never leave the evidence.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Story time:

Did you report the low branches to the town? Often they will trim them.

I have some customers that don't get house deliveries due to branches in the driveway.

What fool plants blue spruces right next to the driveway?

wayfair

swollen member
In my town, they require you to trim your own trees. If you don't and the city does it, you get a nice little $$addition to your water bill.

john chesney

I

Story time:

I hope to god you called it in

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I also hope you called it in.

One of the few things you can be terminated for, an unreported accident.

And that is not your determination to make.

Hit your mirror with a branch and no damage, fine. Continue on.

Break off a limb, especially one the size of your arm, not just a twig, call it in.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always carried a small tree saw with me. I widened out many drive ways in my time. Anything under about 5 inches in diameter was fair game to me. Most people don't realize how grown in their driveways get over time. As long as their little VW fits they couldn't care less.