trenton nj

local804

Actually it was a serious question, and not meant to stir up trouble. If there is this much trouble all the time, why does UPS keep the Teamsters around? .

They actually brought the teamsters in and at this point isnt really their choice to get rid of them.

raceanoncr

Actually it was a serious question, and not meant to stir up trouble. If there is this much trouble all the time, why does UPS keep the Teamsters around? What do the Teamsters provide UPS that makes up for having to cater to SOME lazy workers that have high seniority? Why not hire their own employees that won't threaten to strike? In my years at UPS, I was never in the union or management so I really don't have much direct experience with union issues.

Why don't we all just volunteer to earn $12 an hour delivering packages or driving feeder trucks?

Why don't we just give up our insurance benefits and pay for our own?

Why don't we all just volunteer to work 14 hour days?

Why don't we all just be content with the high-stepping old package cars?

Why not keep all the stick-shift cars? Forget automatics?

Why not forget the part-time 10-min break?

Forget:
Funeral leave
Pension
Over 70 handling
Building heat
Sanitary conditions and on and on

You think all these things are in existance because the company LIKES us? All these things and more had to be fought for in negotiations.

Now, I'm not going to bash you or others for this viewpoint because you said you were never union while at UPS and evidently you didn't want to or never had the desire to progress any further than you did but from your observation can you REALLY honestly say that UPS would give us all we have right now without SOME kind of union representation?

ImpactedTSG

Why don't we all just volunteer to earn $12 an hour delivering packages or driving feeder trucks?

Why don't we just give up our insurance benefits and pay for our own?

Why don't we all just volunteer to work 14 hour days?

Why don't we all just be content with the high-stepping old package cars?

Why not keep all the stick-shift cars? Forget automatics?

Why not forget the part-time 10-min break?

Forget:
Funeral leave
Pension
Over 70 handling
Building heat
Sanitary conditions and on and on

You think all these things are in existance because the company LIKES us? All these things and more had to be fought for in negotiations.

Now, I'm not going to bash you or others for this viewpoint because you said you were never union while at UPS and evidently you didn't want to or never had the desire to progress any further than you did but from your observation can you REALLY honestly say that UPS would give us all we have right now without SOME kind of union representation?
All of those things are what the union does for you. Why does UPS continue to keep the Teamsters? What does the union do for UPS? That was my original question.

Average at Best

What does the union do for UPS? That was my original question.

I'm not sure how true it is, but they told me at NSO that Casey invited the union in either 1.) so that the employees wouldn't join a more radical union than the teamsters or 2.) because he had the premonition that the teamsters would be necessary to protect the workforce. Who knows?

In my opinion, UPS needs the teamsters to keep quality employees around, especially the drivers. You figure - if you give a guy backbreaking work AND he's the face of the company out on the street, he isn't going to do it for peanuts. But I also think that the system is failing. Part of it may be generational, part of it may be UPS' world-famous micromanagement reaching the limit. Part of it might be the egotistical and/or inept management style of the generation coming up on the other side of the union/management fence.

All I can observe is that your really great drivers are getting on and retiring, the younger ones don't want to stay out so late every night and they have less loyalty to the company - are more willing to find other work, and they don't want to deal with management. Management, on the other hand: you've got the old timers running out the clock that are burnt out, the young ones coming up are either corrupt and power-hungry, not corrupt but dumb as a rock, not corrupt but unwilling to put up with the system and therefore leaves, or not corrupt and unable to change the way things work.

So to answer your question, UPS needs the union to keep good people around. The lazy troublemaking ones are the exception, not the norm. Just my opinion.

feeder53

ADKtrails
The whole thing boils down to communication. If evryone could see the trainwreck and they continue to stand around and watch....it will crash. Someone must step up to the plate and start the game. It is in everyones best interest. On some of the other posts in the thread, I worked for Leaseway for over 10 years, a Union shop delivering for Montgomery Wards, Sears and Macy`s. Leaseway decided to go non-union and did through a loophole in the contract. End result.....The quality of service dropped and they lost all the contracts. I moved on to a Union shop (TNT Red Star Express) out of Newark and finnished out with them. I left them during Desert Storm and when I returned...they too had vanished. We had people that had lowered work ethics, but they were kept to a minimum by the Union, Company and Staff. I believe you get what you pay for and I want to give the employer what they had paid for. We need the communications......it is of utmost importance....

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
This will probably be an unpopular post, but after all the drama year after year, why doesn't UPS just dump the teamsters and make offers to the productive workers and get rid of the slackers? Fill the rest of the open spots from there. The Teamsters need UPS a lot more then UPS needs the Teamsters. UPS could save tons of money on grievences, labor negotiations, having to keep lazy seniority workers around, etc.

Maybe you need to send a really big donation to the APWA. LOL

BCFan

Actually it was a serious question, and not meant to stir up trouble. If there is this much trouble all the time, why does UPS keep the Teamsters around? What do the Teamsters provide UPS that makes up for having to cater to SOME lazy workers that have high seniority? Why not hire their own employees that won't threaten to strike? In my years at UPS, I was never in the union or management so I really don't have much direct experience with union issues.

BY what standards and criteria do you deem a fellow employee LAZY? Just Curious BC (not Bitter Child)

1timepu

The new DM is the guy from the Meadowlands correct?
If it is, in one year, he has fired over 30 feeder drivers.

What did they get fired for?? I am sure whatever they did, they could find the same situation in another building and they didnt get fired, bingo. Also this week I covered a job that went to Island City, any truth what a shifter told me that layoff's are going to happen?

kenco80233

I have witnessed many times the advaserial behavier of lower level management and Bussiness agents in front of hourlies,only at a later date behind closed doors being the best of buddies.You get the feeling that they are putting on a show in front of everyone,knowing that they will set down later and chuckle about it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have witnessed many times the advaserial behavier of lower level management and Bussiness agents in front of hourlies,only at a later date behind closed doors being the best of buddies.You get the feeling that they are putting on a show in front of everyone,knowing that they will set down later and chuckle about it.
If you have seen the agent or steward fighting with management in front of the work force this is unacceptable. Anytime it starts to get heated i always ask to go into the office because its unproffesional and creates more problems instead of resolving the issue. Both parties are to blame and at this point someone needs to be the better man and suggest taking it into private.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
This will probably be an unpopular post, but after all the drama year after year, why doesn't UPS just dump the teamsters and make offers to the productive workers and get rid of the slackers? Fill the rest of the open spots from there. The Teamsters need UPS a lot more then UPS needs the Teamsters. UPS could save tons of money on grievences, labor negotiations, having to keep lazy seniority workers around, etc.

Do you have anything to do with IE? From what I've seen if this company wants to cut fat (and they are) that would be the place to start. I haven't seen one yet that accomplished a darn thing except make a mess of pass.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I'm not sure how true it is, but they told me at NSO that Casey invited the union in either 1.) so that the employees wouldn't join a more radical union than the teamsters or 2.) because he had the premonition that the teamsters would be necessary to protect the workforce. Who knows?

In my opinion, UPS needs the teamsters to keep quality employees around, especially the drivers. You figure - if you give a guy backbreaking work AND he's the face of the company out on the street, he isn't going to do it for peanuts. But I also think that the system is failing. Part of it may be generational, part of it may be UPS' world-famous micromanagement reaching the limit. Part of it might be the egotistical and/or inept management style of the generation coming up on the other side of the union/management fence.

All I can observe is that your really great drivers are getting on and retiring, the younger ones don't want to stay out so late every night and they have less loyalty to the company - are more willing to find other work, and they don't want to deal with management. Management, on the other hand: you've got the old timers running out the clock that are burnt out, the young ones coming up are either corrupt and power-hungry, not corrupt but dumb as a rock, not corrupt but unwilling to put up with the system and therefore leaves, or not corrupt and unable to change the way things work.

So to answer your question, UPS needs the union to keep good people around. The lazy troublemaking ones are the exception, not the norm. Just my opinion.

Scary but so accurate.

anyone know whats going on in trenton nj. I'm hearing rumors of a mini revolt in the feeder department?

You all know why he posted this, don't you? This type of incident makes the rounds throughout the management ranks. They just love it. It makes them feel powerful.

"Hey, did ya hear dat Jimmy threw dem Teamster guys off da property?"

"Did he?"

"Yeah! He ordered them to go and then they left! They were scared of him"

"Wow! He is cool"

Driving home from the bar, they dream of doing the same thing. As they walk into their house, they look at their third wife and her children. She tells them that he bounced another check. If only he didn't have all that child support and alimony to pay, he could live in a decent house! The brats are loud so he decides to go out to the garage and find the bottle he keeps in there. "Yeah, that Jimmy is cool. Heh, heh...showed them. Maybe I'll fire some 18 year old loader tomarrow. Yeah....Yeah.....That will make me feel better. It will be senseless, and the union will get him his job back, but I'll make sure that my tool Jimmy (lead steward) talks him out of pushing for back pay."

He staggers back into the house, kicking the family dog on the way. He lays in bed, and as the alcohol takes full effect he loses consciousness. Before he slips into a comatose state he thinks, "I will make them as miserable as I am."

tieguy

Banned
anyone know whats going on in trenton nj. I'm hearing rumors of a mini revolt in the feeder department?

You all know why he posted this, don't you? This type of incident makes the rounds throughout the management ranks. They just love it. It makes them feel powerful.

"Hey, did ya hear dat Jimmy threw dem Teamster guys off da property?"

"Did he?"

"Yeah! He ordered them to go and then they left! They were scared of him"

"Wow! He is cool"

Driving home from the bar, they dream of doing the same thing. As they walk into their house, they look at their third wife and her children. She tells them that he bounced another check. If only he didn't have all that child support and alimony to pay, he could live in a decent house! The brats are loud so he decides to go out to the garage and find the bottle he keeps in there. "Yeah, that Jimmy is cool. Heh, heh...showed them. Maybe I'll fire some 18 year old loader tomarrow. Yeah....Yeah.....That will make me feel better. It will be senseless, and the union will get him his job back, but I'll make sure that my tool Jimmy (lead steward) talks him out of pushing for back pay."

He staggers back into the house, kicking the family dog on the way. He lays in bed, and as the alcohol takes full effect he loses consciousness. Before he slips into a comatose state he thinks, "I will make them as miserable as I am."

A side note here since I love a good fairy tale as much as the next guy. I feel special since he clearly had to dig deep into the archives to pull this thread up.

I would like to point out that I have been married 26 years to the same terrific woman. I have only been married once. I have two terrific kids one of whom may very well end up being a doctor due to her drive and determination.

Now back to our little fantasy story.:happy-very:

A side note here since I love a good fairy tale as much as the next guy. I feel special since he clearly had to dig deep into the archives to pull this thread up.

I would like to point out that I have been married 26 years to the same terrific woman. I have only been married once. I have two terrific kids one of whom may very well end up being a doctor due to her drive and determination.

Now back to our little fantasy story.:happy-very:

There are several posts I've wanted to respond to. I usually don't have the time. And yes, many of them are originated by you.

Congratulations on your marriage and family. The fact remains that the divorce rate for mngmt. is over 80 percent, at least that was the number quoted to me.

In our hub that number seems about right. The manager that married a woman who owns a bar was the envy of his peers. Free booze!

I'll have to tell you about the drug bust at our hub. Lots of "special assignments" handed out after that one.

BrownSuit

Another rumor was that the trenj drivers filed 300 grievances on good friday in some kind of protest.

Back to the topic . . .

I heard a rumor that Santa tried to drive a feeder at Trenton during peak last year, but was thrown off the property by the BA for not having his union card.

Sorry Guys, couldn't resist =D

Can't we all just get along? ;-)

Mike Hawk

I didn't think UPS would let Santa work for them, he takes all the Christmas present market share during peak, they hate competition.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
Back to the topic . . .

I heard a rumor that Santa tried to drive a feeder at Trenton during peak last year, but was thrown off the property by the BA for not having his union card.

Sorry Guys, couldn't resist =D

Can't we all just get along? ;-)

I know just repeating what was on the feeder network to see how much truth there was to it. Unfortunately we couldn't draw up any of the players that were actually involved.