Trip to ER might be costly

'Lord Brown's bidding'

For those of us who don't work day shifts and spend most waking hours at night when all urgent care and such clinics are closed the ER is the only option. If I wake up at 6pm with some mild discomfort and 5 hours later it's acute pain, my only option other than waiting at least another 8 hours for a clinic to open is to go to the ER. Not so bad for those waking up at 6 am and having the pain a few hours later as everything is open then.

I don't know about rural options, but in the city there are some 24 hr urgent care facilities (I looked it up for my area because I had the same concern). Granted, there aren't as many as there are hospitals, but if you want to save $75 there may be one not far away.

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't know about rural options, but in the city there are some 24 hr urgent care facilities (I looked it up for my area because I had the same concern). Granted, there aren't as many as there are hospitals, but if you want to save $75 there may be one not far away.

I'm not rural, but I do have 3 urgent care closer than the nearest ER. I do know if you feel it's an emergency the 10 minutes it'll take to get to the ER is long enough, I don't want to be spending twice that going someplace else.

I will check to see if there is an urgent care that's open 24 hours anywhere near me though, when the 3 near me all close at 9 I just assumed it was the same for all of them in the potential area.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I know dozens of PTers who regularly visit the ER instead of a doctor to save the $10 co-pay. The problem is... when you see a doctor, you pay $10 and UPS an average of $40-$60, but when you see an ER (for a not really emergency) while YOU don't pay anything, UPS pays an average of $1000 or more. It isn't free and affects what we'll pay for insurance and deductibles (if anything) later.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I know dozens of PTers who regularly visit the ER instead of a doctor to save the $10 co-pay. The problem is... when you see a doctor, you pay $10 and UPS an average of $40-$60, but when you see an ER (for a not really emergency) while YOU don't pay anything, UPS pays an average of $1000 or more. It isn't free and affects what we'll pay for insurance and deductibles (if anything) later.

How are they saving? The ER copay is $25, $100 for non-emergencies.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Wally, I have been to the emergency room plenty of times, I get kidney stones. I have TeamCare, and have never been stuck shelling out thousands of dollars for an ER visit.

Sent using BrownCafe App

What's the Teamcare non accident ER rate?

opie

From the Teamsters Western Region and Local 177 Health Care Plan website: "$0 copay if admitted, or within 24 hours of accident; otherwise paid at 80% if used for non-emergency; then paid at 100% after annual out-of-pocket expense cap is met."

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
From the Teamsters Western Region and Local 177 Health Care Plan website: "$0 copay if admitted, or within 24 hours of accident; otherwise paid at 80% if used for non-emergency; then paid at 100% after annual out-of-pocket expense cap is met."
Didn't I already say that? lol

RealPerson

This is only if you go to the ER and are not admitted.
What is the definition of admitted???
Admitted to be treated in the ER and released? Or admitted to the hospital for over night?

I have been for some Serious stuff, many many stitches, broken bones, Kidney Stones, so on. but I was Never Admitted... I was treated and released!

RealPerson

Do any of you have urgent care facilities nearby? These are the places you are suppose to go in lieu of ER visits.

Several years ago UPS sent out a mailer talking about our options when seeking medical care, in order to help reduce costs. The vast majority of times people go to the ER-for sprains/strains, broken bones that don't break the skin or don't involve trauma, flu/fever, etc.-they should use another alternative, preferably their primary care physician. Next is an ambulatory care provider, like a CVS Minute Clinic. For serious, but non-life threatening, medical situations you should visit an urgent care facility, which can take of most medical situations.

I've been stressing that my family use the ER alternatives since I got that mailer, ending $100 bills to the ER for the $25 copay for visiting an ER (if you were admitted, or it is an emergency, like a bone break involving trauma). However, under Teamcare, that $25 copay is going away. Nice little benefit.
Depends on the state / city you live in, if you even have those or they are open 24 hours.
If I get a Broken bone, I am not going to wait till morning for one of these to open....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What is the definition of admitted???
Admitted to be treated in the ER and released? Or admitted to the hospital for over night?

I have been for some Serious stuff, many many stitches, broken bones, Kidney Stones, so on. but I was Never Admitted... I was treated and released!

Admitted to the hospital for at least one night.

RealPerson

Admitted to the hospital for at least one night.
Oh well then that is friend- ing Stupid. Majority of people going to the ER, do NOT get admitted, for one night.
My CT Scan for the Kidney stone was in the thousands.
So I guess a person can Choose to NOT get the CT scan, and Hope the guess of the Doctor is right, or insist on staying a night. OR pay 2 weeks of pay or MORE for PTers making less than me.. Screw the Part timers...