Trip to ER might be costly

saintrick

What is the definition of admitted???
Admitted to be treated in the ER and released? Or admitted to the hospital for over night?

I have been for some Serious stuff, many many stitches, broken bones, Kidney Stones, so on. but I was Never Admitted... I was treated and released!

We had an ER trip once where we were transferred to the main hospital for 36 hours for observation but never officially admitted. We had to pay the copay.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Kidney stones are painful, but rarely fatal if treated in a timely manner. Hence, they aren't an emergency, and why you shouldn't go to the ER for one, unless you want to pay the copay.

People keep saying "Most of the time people go to the ER they aren't admitted". That is the problem! !! They aren't being admitted because they don't have emergencies. Or, the condition which needed stabilizing was not an imminent threat to the person's life, and therefore did not need to be treated at the ER (a primary example of this is people going to the ER for fevers; they are just going to prescribe Tylenol which you could go get yourself, or go see your primary doctor (or urgent care doctor) to get.

Did you ever notice on the sides of OTC meds that it says, "If symptoms do not improve, see a/your doctor. " It doesn't say go to the ER, or "Seek medical attention immediately! ", like it does in the warnings on household cleaners if you should ingest some.

dumptheoldguardteamsters

Apettyj I take it you have never had a kidney stone!! YOU ARE WRONG!! KIDNEY STONES ARE AN EMERGENCY!! NOT ACCORDING TO TEAMCARE BUT TO MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS THEY MOST CERTAINLY ARE!! I keep hearing you mention these urgent care facilities!! LET ME BE THE FIRST TO INFORM YOU!! Neither an urgent care or family doctor has the medication or supplies needed to remove or treat a kidney stone!! Most times dilaudid, which is in the same class as morphine and oxycodone (strongest meds the Er has on hand) is given just to ease the pain!! Kidney stones are an emergency!! Those 2nd class doctors at the urgent care (clinic) would not even know how to treat something this serious!! You are correct by saying that some Americans abuse the ER by going for a fever!! In my eyes those dummy's should be stuck with 100% of the bill!! Please don't mix up a kidney stone as an urgent care or family doctor need!! If you have a kidney stone you go to the ER!!! The day you get one you will know what I mean !!

RealPerson

Kidney stones are painful, but rarely fatal if treated in a timely manner. Hence, they aren't an emergency, and why you shouldn't go to the ER for one, unless you want to pay the copay.

People keep saying "Most of the time people go to the ER they aren't admitted". That is the problem! !! They aren't being admitted because they don't have emergencies. Or, the condition which needed stabilizing was not an imminent threat to the person's life, and therefore did not need to be treated at the ER (a primary example of this is people going to the ER for fevers; they are just going to prescribe Tylenol which you could go get yourself, or go see your primary doctor (or urgent care doctor) to get.

Did you ever notice on the sides of OTC meds that it says, "If symptoms do not improve, see a/your doctor. " It doesn't say go to the ER, or "Seek medical attention immediately! ", like it does in the warnings on household cleaners if you should ingest some.

See,
When you have the First one, you think you are Dying. It was also 8:30pm so ALL of the Doctors are gone, and we don't have those Minor Emergency places still open. I have know people that had to have surgery because the stones were to big.

Yes, BS people go when they have a cough and stuff like that. Those are The Non emergencies.....

'Lord Brown's bidding'

What's an ER co-pay? lol I have never paid a dime out of pocket for ER visits under my current insurance. Bye bye Aetna...hellllooo teamcrap. :devil3:

It's not Teamcare you have a gripe with; it's Blue Cross and Blue Shield. That was the plan administrator for many UPSERs. They are the primary plan administrator for Teamcare. I didn't realize NYC had a separate health admins
Apettyj I take it you have never had a kidney stone!! YOU ARE WRONG!! KIDNEY STONES ARE AN EMERGENCY!! NOT ACCORDING TO TEAMCARE BUT TO MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS THEY MOST CERTAINLY ARE!! I keep hearing you mention these urgent care facilities!! LET ME BE THE FIRST TO INFORM YOU!! Neither an urgent care or family doctor has the medication or supplies needed to remove or treat a kidney stone!! Most times dilaudid, which is in the same class as morphine and oxycodone (strongest meds the Er has on hand) is given just to ease the pain!! Kidney stones are an emergency!! Those 2nd class doctors at the urgent care (clinic) would not even know how to treat something this serious!! You are correct by saying that some Americans abuse the ER by going for a fever!! In my eyes those dummy's should be stuck with 100% of the bill!! Please don't mix up a kidney stone as an urgent care or family doctor need!! If you have a kidney stone you go to the ER!!! The day you get one you will know what I mean !!

Dude, the pain is severe, but no they are not fatal if treated promptly. If you went to an urgent care or family doctor, they'd do the same thing as the ER: send you to get a scan, and go from there. The difference is there isn't extra travel involved by going directly to the ER (leaving the urgent care facility/Dr office to go to the hospital), but they don't give you the scan in the ER! You are wheeled to the correct dept.

I'm not trying to say all ER visits that don't involve trauma is bad. If I have severe, debilitating pain I may go straight to the hospital myself. Often times as of late, however, I find myself Googling my symptoms to see how bad I am. I've eaten several $100 co-pays, and I now understand why I got them. And I was/am under the UPS plan, run by BCBS, not Teamcare.

Ya'll should know you have options, and that Teamcare isn't the reason for $100 co-pays.

dumptheoldguardteamsters

Apettyj

I have never paid a 100 co pay with the same exact plan that you are on!! In over 20 years and I rarely even get charged the $25 co pay! When you have a stone you need medication first!! Then a scan takes place!! So let me get this right... You would suggest sitting in your urgent care or family doctor to get a scan and then go from there?? WTF do you do for the severe pain!! Don't act like this TEAMCARE has minor changes!! it's not a comparable plan even with the improvements from voting no the first time! I pray you never get a stone and head to a place where they cannot even begin to give you the proper meds!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Apettyj

I have never paid a 100 co pay with the same exact plan that you are on!! In over 20 years and I rarely even get charged the $25 co pay! When you have a stone you need medication first!! Then a scan takes place!! So let me get this right... You would suggest sitting in your urgent care or family doctor to get a scan and then go from there?? WTF do you do for the severe pain!! Don't act like this TEAMCARE has minor changes!! it's not a comparable plan even with the improvements from voting no the first time! I pray you never get a stone and head to a place where they cannot even begin to give you the proper meds!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Dude, both your doctor as well as urgent care facilities most likely have strong pain medicines available, especially if located in a hospital or on a a hospital campus, as some of mine have been. They need such to stabilize patients in case something goes wrong. Also, especially in the city, wait times in the ER often average longer than those in an urgent care facility since most assume they must go to an ER, for the biases you and others have here, hence the ER has more people. Even once the back, out of the lobby, you will wait in a patient area on a gurney waiting to be seen.

Unlike you, I have regularly paid the hospital co-pay, either at the time of service or they have billed me later. I don't know if you are under a different supplement than I am but that co-pay has been that way since I've been on a UPS plan, with BCBS, Aetna, and United Healthcare (UHC).

Finally, you keep blaming "Teamcrap", not realizing they aren't "the plan"; BCBS is (for most of us; Aetna for a few). Neither the Teamsters nor even UPS specifically control what they offer, but just negotiate. That is why two contracts ago we were switched to UHC. UPS wasn't looking for another plan, rather BCBS of IL dropped us!

Be mad at Teamcare all you want, but we got a good deal out of this, and I suspect it will get better since Teamcare is now in a stronger position to negotiate with BCBS, Aetna, and the like.

oldngray

nowhere special
Dude, both your doctor as well as urgent care facilities most likely have strong pain medicines available, especially if located in a hospital or on a a hospital campus, as some of mine have been. They need such to stabilize patients in case something goes wrong. Also, especially in the city, wait times in the ER often average longer than those in an urgent care facility since most assume they must go to an ER, for the biases you and others have here, hence the ER has more people. Even once the back, out of the lobby, you will wait in a patient area on a gurney waiting to be seen.

Unlike you, I have regularly paid the hospital co-pay, either at the time of service or they have billed me later. I don't know if you are under a different supplement than I am but that co-pay has been that way since I've been on a UPS plan, with BCBS, Aetna, and United Healthcare (UHC).

Finally, you keep blaming "Teamcrap", not realizing they aren't "the plan"; BCBS is (for most of us; Aetna for a few). Neither the Teamsters nor even UPS specifically control what they offer, but just negotiate. That is why two contracts ago we were switched to UHC. UPS wasn't looking for another plan, rather BCBS of IL dropped us!

Be mad at Teamcare all you want, but we got a good deal out of this, and I suspect it will get better since Teamcare is now in a stronger position to negotiate with BCBS, Aetna, and the like.

An urgent care will almost never have any strong pain meds available. They are very unlikely to have any narcotics and are also very unlikely to write you a prescription for any. Anything serious they just send on to the ER for treatment.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

An urgent care will almost never have any strong pain meds available. They are very unlikely to have any narcotics and are also very unlikely to write you a prescription for any. Anything serious they just send on to the ER for treatment.

Not been my experience. And why couldn't a doctor prescribe a narcotic? I'm not talking about a clinic inside a drugstore. Even the place where we get our physicals done here is staffed by an MD, and hence able to prescribe narcotics if need be, IF they don't have any in supply (and again, unless they do not have secure storage, why wouldn't they if a doctor is on staff to administer them?)

The whole purpose of an urgent care facility IS to deal with serious incidents, hence the name "urgent" care. Emergencies are those risking loss of life or limb.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Not been my experience. And why couldn't a doctor prescribe a narcotic? I'm not talking about a clinic inside a drugstore. Even the place where we get our physicals done here is staffed by a MD, and hence able to prescribe narcotics if need be, IF they don't have any in supply (and again, unless they do not have secure storage, why wouldn't they if a doctor is on staff to administer them?)

A doctor "could" but seldom will prescribe a strong pain killer. Urgent Care is just bandaid medicine.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's not Teamcare you have a gripe with; it's Blue Cross and Blue Shield. That was the plan administrator for many UPSERs. They are the primary plan administrator for Teamcare. I didn't realize NYC had a separate health admins.
As far as I know..in my local, FTers have BCBS and PTers have Aetna. I don't know the specifics of the BCBS coverage...but the Aetna plan I have covers ER visits 100%...no out of pocket costs, no co-pay.

dumptheoldguardteamsters

This guy apetty1 has no clue what he's talking about!! Your brainwashed by your local officers!! Get educated and figure out why your constitution was changed and your voting rights were not exercised! IT WAS THE TEAMSTERS who wanted the healthcare $$$$ !! They are still getting 19k (now) to 25k (last year of contract) per employee to purchase our healthcare!! The TEAMSTERS are not spending all the money on your HEALTHCARE PLAN!! Wake up brother!! See the money grab!!!!
My case is still valid on the "urgent care/family doctor". NO WAY YOU WILL GET THE treatment you need at them places!! JUST ADMIT THAT YOU ARE WRONG and being misled!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

kingOFchester

A lot of things will be more expensive. Example from Teamcare summary:

Managing type 2 diabetes.

Total expense $5,400.00
Patient pays $1,600.00
Meaning I would be responsible for 30% of the bill.

With my current UPS plan, the above scenario would be $10.00. A difference of 16,000%

Yup, we won't pay $90, $9 or 9 cents. We won't pay. What a fudging dog and pony show these two clowns were putting on when they were touring the country PREPARING to unleash this hot steamy pile of crap.

"No Way, WeWon’tPay." unless your humping box's.

Big Bad Wolf

So I take it you have had stones before? Lay off the dark soda.

Where are you pigs now?

saintrick

Teamcare like the UPS plan is a self insured plan. They do not buy health policy's from BCBS, Aetna, etc.

They contract with them to administer the claims process.

Teamcare has total control over what is and what is not covered.

upschuck

Why don't you use Teamcare at least once before you say how terrible it is. People who have used it, usually defend it. It is not that bad people.

kingOFchester

Why don't you use Teamcare at least once before you say how terrible it is. People who have used it, usually defend it. It is not that bad people.
Several things.

1, I do not need to use it to see what is and is not covered and at what percent. X=Y. Its not like trying a beef stew. Pretty simple, look at the summary of benefits and compare it to my current summary of benefits.

2, "Its not that bad". Sorry, but that means squat. I generally do not settle for things that are "not that bad". I could sell my car and ride a bike. It wouldn't be that bad.