Trucking at UPS

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
All these folks asking for info on different things about the job need to remember this: there are different circumstances at different hubs. Find out the situation for your hub. For all the folks saying they've never heard of PT going straight into feeders I can point out 10 guys at my hub right now that did exactly that and they are now 3 years into their feeder careers. As far as the 100K club over half the drivers in my building are in that group. I bet even some of the 9.5 guys gross 100K with the number of 9.5 grievances they have to file since they constantly still violate.

OP just remember this: if you are making 100K at this job your weekdays most likely consist of work and nothing else. Your free time is weekends, vacations, and sick days and that's about it. At that 'boring' desk job at least it's probably a conventional 9 to 5 job and you can still hit happy hour, or join that bowling league after work.
As well as potentially join the 100k club on salary at that job and not have to work 60+ hours a week

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
at least half or more of the feeders at my old hub are in the 100k club. the companies' plan is to work everyone to max hours . that way they don't have to hire more people.

with all the holidays, sick days, and vacations we got , I did not mind working 55-60 hours a week. sure it sounds like a lot but I averaged just 215 work days a year. That left 150 days a year to do whatever I wanted.

Plus, when you consider that most people have to work 2-3 years to make what we did in one and work 250 plus days a year to do it, we are very fortunate.

Now, being retired , I have 365 days a year to do what I want and my pension is more than what the average worker makes.

Thanks Teamsters.

so what are ya all complaining about???

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
At my building you must have a years safe driving in the FT package car classification before you can bid into Feeders. Air driving does not count. Never heard of a PT going straight into Feeders.

I have seen it happen. Even in supplements that state 1 year safe driving.

If no FTer elects to go into feeders, why disqualify a PTer?

I have seen quite a few go straight from PT to feeders because no one else wanted to.

I would rather it go to a PTer, than someone off the street.

I have seen it happen. Even in supplements that state 1 year safe driving.

If no FTer elects to go into feeders, why disqualify a PTer?

I have seen quite a few go straight from PT to feeders because no one else wanted to.

I would rather it go to a PTer, than someone off the street.
We had a preloader/ exception/Saturday Air driver with years of seniority go to truck driving school and graduated be turned down for Feeders because she did not have a years safe driving in the FT package car classification. She also is on the executive board at the Union Local and fought it all the way. No Feeder job and ended up taking a 22.3 job.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We had a preloader/ exception/Saturday Air driver with years of seniority go to truck driving school and graduated be turned down for Feeders because she did not have a years safe driving in the FT package car classification. She also is on the executive board at the Union Local and fought it all the way. No Feeder job and ended up taking a 22.3 job.

So how does an off the street get hired where you are at? They do not have 1 year safe driving at UPS in package cars.

If this person was denied feeders, and no other FT person wanted it, I'm sure they hired off the street.

As long as the PTer has the same qualifications as an off the street hire, they should be allowed to go.

And like I said, I have seen many.

How long ago was this?

So how does an off the street get hired where you are at? They do not have 1 year safe driving at UPS in package cars.

If this person was denied feeders, and no other FT person wanted it, I'm sure they hired off the street.

As long as the PTer has the same qualifications as an off the street hire, they should be allowed to go.

And like I said, I have seen many.

How long ago was this?
Off the street Feeder hires must have 2 years, (maybe 3) verifiable experience in all weather safe driving before being considered. So if a PT can meet those same qualifications, he could be hired as an off the street hire. In my building Feeders look out for their own. Although a package car driver dovetails his seniority when he successfully wins a Feeder bid.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Off the street Feeder hires must have 2 years, (maybe 3) verifiable experience in all weather safe driving before being considered. So if a PT can meet those same qualifications, he could be hired as an off the street hire. In my building Feeders look out for their own. Although a package car driver dovetails his seniority when he successfully wins a Feeder bid.

There lies the 2 problems.

Feeders look out for their own.

Not so much a problem in and of itself, but some people carry this concept way too far.

Off the street Feeder hires must have 2 years, (maybe 3) verifiable experience in all weather safe driving before being considered.

A package car driver has no feeder driving experience at all. They may have package car experience, but two completely different things.

I remember being told my first day of feeder school to forget everything that I learned in packages, except for the 5 seeing habits.

So driving a package car has nothing to do with driving a semi. The only thing someone proved is that they can drive a box truck for a year without an accident.

fedx

Extra Large Package
You only work 8.5 a day... That's why. You work 10-11 hours and you will hit 100k. I made 115k last couple of years..
But who really wants to work 10-11 hours everyday 5 days a week year after year? That sounds like some factory job in the 1800s. Sure the money is a lot, but you have no life outside of work. Your life is your job, your job is your life. I'm not knocking you. I'm just saying you're sacrificing your life for money.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But who really wants to work 10-11 hours everyday 5 days a week year after year? That sounds like some factory job in the 1800s. Sure the money is a lot, but you have no life outside of work. Your life is your job, your job is your life. I'm not knocking you. I'm just saying you're sacrificing your life for money.
Why don't you go work at FedEx ... you don't sound like a Union man!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I work to live. I do not live to work.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So to be a union man you have to want to work 50 to 55 hours a week? I thought unions were created to stop those kinds of working conditions.
Teamsters are real men and we work hard for our pay!
Our women stay home with the kids.
We need the long hours ... I bet your wife works!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hell if my wife could she would have he working 20 hours a day....

ManInBrown

I don't like living in the ghetto. I like nice things. Nothing in this world is free. I'll happily drive around for 50-55 hours a week, and never touch a package again for $1800-$2000 a week. McDonald's is hiring if you don't mind being broke. go fill out an application

ManInBrown

What is the comparison between feeder driver pay at UPS compared to being a tractor trailer driver for another company? Anyone know? I know that in package our wages are industry leading, is it the same for feeder?

Now that I can see the light and I will be beginning the journey to feeder, is $35 an hour plus our bennies good pay for the job? It seems it's a lot more responsibility than package. I was just looking at the practice test in my state for cdl with all the endorsements and that's a lot of stuff to learn.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What is the comparison between feeder driver pay at UPS compared to being a tractor trailer driver for another company? Anyone know?

Now that I can see the light and I'm on my way to feeder, is $35 an hour plus our bennies good pay for the job? It seems It's a lot more responsibility than package.

Ummm yes. Add in your benefits too so you're looking at what 150k in total compensation.

Way more than about any other trucking company I would say.