True Inflation, Company Profits, and COLA's..and Why I Am Voting No.

A

anonymous6

i respect people who disagree. please google True inflation rate vs. government claims to see where I am coming from. The Institute For Economic Research is a very well respected source for knowing the real inflation. they use all good and services that the average American family uses.

from my experience, 16 years ago our family was able to get by on a 9 hour day. the last couple years i have to work a 11 hr day for the same standard of living. have no extra debt. drive a 14 yr old car , etc etc. we are always looking for ways to cut back. I also live near Lake Tahoe so it is probably higher cost of living than most places.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes they have and I use to fill my car up with gas for $20:greedy:

I filled up my SUV this week for $19.54 ... it was a little over half-full before I started though. :wink2:

The price of gas drives up most other things we buy too due to transportation and/or gas-powered machines used to provide the consumer goods.

Johney

I filled up my SUV this week for $19.54 ... it was a little over half-full before I started though. :wink2:

The price of gas drives up most other things we buy too due to transportation and/or gas-powered machines used to provide the consumer goods.
Filled up with a half a tank for less than $20? I call BS!:happy-very:

UPSGUY72

Our rider is still be worked out so I emailed our BA who is working on it about COLA ( cost of living adjustments.)

The poster who wrote that the part-time wage should be around $18 /hr adjusted for inflation is just about RIGHT! We have not received a raise in pay since before the 1990's.

The contract allows the company to use the wrong formula to figure out the COLA. It uses a government figure instead of a TRUE inflation figure such as the one that the Institute for Economic Research comes up with using all commodites and services people buy. COLA language needs change.

their number is 8% for 2012 compared to 1% that Uncle Sam uses!!! why the difference? because if the rest of the world knew our TRUE inflation rate they would start dumping US Treasuries and cause the good ol USA to default like Greece has. China is already wising up. they have dumped 100 billion of our treasury notes causing us some recent inflation. Our inflation will probably be higher than 6-8% from now on as the US dollar weakens. just google this for more info.

The TRUE inflation rate has been running a little over 6% since 1990. UPS profits have been averaging almost the same in that period. (this post is long so i am not gonna post all my sources. i have been researching this all night.) so anyway, this is my point. our wages are WAY behind the cost of inflation and the COLA language should of been addressed years ago.

at a 6% rate of inflation , prices of goods and services will DOUBLE every 12 years. ( using Rule of 72 ). WE HAVE ALL SEEN THIS already paying your bills and food for years now.. Conversely, UPS profits and growth has easily doubled every 12 years at a average 6% growth rate.

the poster who wrote that part-timers should be getting $18/hr ( adjusted for inflation ) was right. FT wages should be around $42/hr or more using the same formula.( since 1997 ) The company profits would of supported this. Our COLA language needs a major overall.

If you have wondered why the company has been making record profits quarter after quarter, this has been a major reason. we have been going backwards since 1990 ( not keeping up with inflation ). the first "raise" of 70 cents is less than 35 cents in 1997 dollars. we will be in poorer shape in 5 years than we are in now.

Our Brothers and Sisters who worked back before the 1990's had much more purchasing power than we do now. The same is true for every American. back when i was a kid only the father had to work to pay the bills and our Moms stayed home. now both Mom and Dads have to work to try to have the same standard of living. When union workers go backwards in pay and benefits, the average American worker is usually ahead of that curve. again , google this for more info.

The BIG corporations are just getting stronger and more powerful . We are already feeling the "squeeze" and have been so for years now. That is why we have to fight for a much stronger contract . The companies' profits will support that ( repeat: the COMPANIES PROFITS WILL SUPPORT THIS ) and that is why I am voting NO on the current farcical offer.

make your own conclusions.

I wondering what would make you vote yes ?? You must have specific number you would like to see ??? You and I know that PTimers will never start at $18 unless that is the minimum wage in that state.

The ones that you stated above are unrealistic. You also have to realize that PT jobs are not met to live off of. As a Ft driver $32 + is pretty dam good money. If you add bennys to the equation your it closer to $50 hr. In 5 years we will be making $36 + bennys.

Nick9075

I have to disagree with Orang.

Yes inflation measured by different goods and service have gone up faster than wages but many have actually decreased as well. Its weighted average so to speak. Inflation is always a monetary phenomena.

51 inch LED Flat-screen TVs have really come down.

Yes but people upgrade much sooner than previously with crt tvs. Every twenty something whether they make 16 or 36 an hour needs a 51 inch tv in every room and the latest 65 inch in the living room

Any of you from the northeast the nyc or eastern mass? Cost of living has been out of sight ridiculous. Rents average over 2000 a month

A

anonymous6

I wondering what would make you vote yes ?? You must have specific number you would like to see ??? You and I know that PTimers will never start at $18 unless that is the minimum wage in that state.

The ones that you stated above are unrealistic. You also have to realize that PT jobs are not met to live off of. As a Ft driver $32 + is pretty dam good money. If you add bennys to the equation your it closer to $50 hr. In 5 years we will be making $36 + bennys.

i'm not asking for retroactive raises to reflect inflation from the last 16 years. i am just trying to point out that we are actually going backwards and our purchasing power has deteriated over that time.

and i am telling Mr. Hall that he can and should do better.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
i respect people who disagree. please google True inflation rate vs. government claims to see where I am coming from. The Institute For Economic Research is a very well respected source for knowing the real inflation. they use all good and services that the average American family uses.

from my experience, 16 years ago our family was able to get by on a 9 hour day. the last couple years i have to work a 11 hr day for the same standard of living. have no extra debt. drive a 14 yr old car , etc etc. we are always looking for ways to cut back. I also live near Lake Tahoe so it is probably higher cost of living than most places.

A few years back our family drove from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe, over the mountains for a wedding. I think it was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on once we left the Sacramento area. I thought how cool it would be to deliver up in those mountains in the summertime...winter would be a bitch but it was some gorgeous country. Would this mountains be the sierra nevadas??

Coldworld

60 months and counting

I wouldn't consider a Toyota "rav-4" an SUV .....you might as well be driving a Nissan cube..lol

A

anonymous6

A few years back our family drove from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe, over the mountains for a wedding. I think it was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on once we left the Sacramento area. I thought how cool it would be to deliver up in those mountains in the summertime...winter would be a bitch but it was some gorgeous country. Would this mountains be the sierra nevadas??

yes, it's beautiful up here year round. cool in the summer and no mosquitoes to boot. expensive though . but when i retire i'll never be bored.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

But the problem lies in measuring inflation. As I mentioned earlier, despite higher sticker prices at the grocery store, overall spending has been unchanged (unadjusted) for more than ten years, despite heavier volumes -- and the % of each paycheck spent of food is at an all-time low. AIER is attempting to measure real world costs, and clearly real world workers are spending less on food (by taking advantage of promotions, discounts, and store brands while also shopping discount stores) than before. Nor does AIER compare long-term trends, which is crucial for staple products such as dairy & meat. Dairy and meat prices crashed to historic lows in the late 2000s, then began quickly recovering. Propagandists will point out the huge post-crash spike, but fail to mention that these products still cost LESS (unadjusted) than they did in the mid-2000s -- and in many cases, even the late 1990s.

And how do you measure gas prices? Gas prices have been roller coaster-like for many years, getting really "crazy" in the past five, although they've been stable for the past two. Do you use annual averages? Kinda deceptive since that doesn't measure driving trends (e.g. driving is disproportionately heaviest in the summer). And we're sitting on historic inventories of oil & refinery capacity, so it's almost inevitable that gas prices in 2013 will average less than they did in 2012, especially during the summer months.

What about electricity prices? Yes, in many areas the price of electricity has increased, and we have more devices to plug in, but due to more energy efficient light bulbs & appliances, the average consumer bill is hitting multi-year lows. (Of course, if you liberally ran your AC during the hot summers recently, this may not apply to you... hence the term "average" ;) )

My point is that "real inflation" is a challenging concept; if rates were indeed accurate, our economy would be in a depression. What "real inflation" doesn't measure is real trends -- for example, the price of broadband Internet speeds capable of streaming video is at an all-time low, thus many consumers have replaced video rentals, cable television, etc. with their Internet. Thus, they're immune for the ongoing cable price hikes.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Bagels I think a lot of this can be explained by people's ever expanding waist lines.

It's much cheaper to eat unhealthy than it is to eat healthy.

U do make a very good point about coupons though. Just watch extreme couponers.

bellesmom

yes, it's beautiful up here year round. cool in the summer and no mosquitoes to boot. expensive though . but when i retire i'll never be bored.

I know off topic but we eloped to Lake Tahoe 30 years ago because I couldn't handle dealing with large wedding and Tahoe is gorgeous. Also helps to be able to gamble right after the ceremony :happy-very:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Bagels I think a lot of this can be explained by people's ever expanding waist lines.

It's much cheaper to eat unhealthy than it is to eat healthy.

While it's true that it's much cheaper to eat unhealthy foods, it's largely a misnomer that the high cost of fresh food is forcing people to eat cheap, unhealthy junk food, hence the obesity epidemic.

People ARE eating healthier -- volume sales of baked goods, packaged snack cakes, sodas, snacks such as chips, etc. are at or near historic lows. The problem is that our society is increasingly cooking less, and turning toward prepared convenience foods, as well as eating out, more. Take a look at how grocery stores have changed -- over the past 20 years, they've gotten larger but shelf space dedicated toward cooking basics has grown more barren. And while convenient, many of these heat-and-serve items are loaded with calories (as well as preservatives that some speculate causes the body to store food).

Obviously the same's true of dining out, whether it's sit down or fast food. If you're fortunate enough to have a Five Guys near you, a burger & fries has more than 2,500 (!) calories -- and 3,000 if you add a soda. And while many split, many don't. It also creates the effect of distorting the perception on what a serving really should be.