Trump breaking unions

newfie

I’m saying UPS is one of the only places left for you to walk off the street with no credentials or personal ties and make over 80,000 a year with full benefits.

It’s not just a coincidence it happens to be a union shop.

It’s one of the few jobs left people will hold down for 30+ years. Where you watch your co workers age over the course of a decade.

i dont disagree. but our model is fading away. part of the reason is todays kids like being mobile rather then planting roots with one company.

newfie

It’s compelling enough for a UPS driver who wouldn’t have what they do without the union.

dude its ok to talk about the good and bad of unionism and their impact in todays world compared to the old rough days.

chill and discuss it like you do other things. no ones trying to steal your popscicle.

newfie

Yes Trump engaged in union busting in Vegas, he owned one of the only hotels not unionized. He fought them bitterly and did all he could to keep his employees from unionizing.

how did he do in new york? there is probably no stronger union market then new york and maybe chicago. you cant cherry pick one example and ignore a whole life time of using union labor

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
why do people have fantasies like this. Do we really believe a union is some powerful force that has to be creatively undermined?

the power of the union is in the collective bargaining that takes place at contract time. you guys get some things you need or want the company gets some things they need or want and then everyone plays nice again.

As a management person I've always been comfortable with the contract rules. It gives everyone a clear script that needs to be followed.
when there is disagreement there is a process to litigate it. thats it.

the norma ray days are over for us guys. UPS is a ball busting company that pays union scale. no dark force no east versu west no good versus evil. its business and move on.

Sure, it's a fantasy. No way it could possibly ever happen...
tenor (10).gif

It's foolish to believe there are no active attempts at undermining unions, or even our government. In either case the point is that when you put people in positions of authority who are only good at getting elected, and not good at the job they are being elected to, the effect is indistinguishable from people actively undermining the system.

newfie

Sure, it's a fantasy. No way it could possibly ever happen...View attachment 252043

It's foolish to believe there are no active attempts at undermining unions, or even our government. In either case the point is that when you put people in positions of authority who are only good at getting elected, and not good at the job they are being elected to, the effect is indistinguishable from people actively undermining the system.

dude tell him to put the * down . :)

your union is a business in competition with UPS . no different then any other business in competition with the ups

part of the sales pitch is UPS bad union good. it helps the membership drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitelightning1534

Trump is currently meeting with all Governors in a Workforce Freedom initiative. It’s main goal is to end unions in the US. Trump may be right, unions have passed their time. They collect money, and do nothing. There is a lot of decertification talk going around at UPS, it’s nice to know the President thinks the same.

We dont need to get rid of unions we need stricter rules on unions that force them to actually do their jobs but as far as UPS goes we need a better and or different union that actually does what it says it will

El Correcto

god is dead
how did he do in new york? there is probably no stronger union market then new york and maybe chicago. you cant cherry pick one example and ignore a whole life time of using union labor
You can’t really give him props for using union labor in one of the most unionized states in the country, the state he lived in most his life no less. The second he thought he could fight them he did.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
dude tell him to put the flashingdildo down . :)

your union is a business in competition with UPS . no different then any other business in competition with the ups

part of the sales pitch is UPS bad union good. it helps the membership drive.

Even if I stipulate that point, you took the position that industrial espionage never happens, and that's naive at best. As poorly as UPS is managed, people in leadership positions at ups, ostensibly, merited them. To get into a union, or government, leadership position, you simply require the skills, or money, necessary to get votes, but not the skills required to do the job you're running for.

It doesn't matter if a person is incapable, or engaging in subterfuge. The end results of malice and incompetence can make the two difficult to tell apart.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
yes i understand that ups compensation is good. I said that back in this thread. now step out of your brain washing and tell me why there are so many other jobs where people are also doing well and do not have unions.
Because they have marketable skills other than be able to read a label and read street signs and house numbers?

newfie

You can’t really give him props for using union labor in one of the most unionized states in the country, the state he lived in most his life no less. The second he thought he could fight them he did.

yea his personality indicates he would have just meekly accepted the conditions and not tried to fight it if he hated unions.

Go eat your grass sheep no sense in thinking about anything that defies your stereotype.

newfie

Even if I stipulate that point, you took the position that industrial espionage never happens, and that's naive at best. As poorly as UPS is managed, people in leadership positions at ups, ostensibly, merited them. To get into a union, or government, leadership position, you simply require the skills, or money, necessary to get votes, but not the skills required to do the job you're running for.

It doesn't matter if a person is incapable, or engaging in subterfuge. The end results of malice and incompetence can make the two difficult to tell apart.

ups bad , union good. i cant help you