Trump needs to stop Amazon monopoly

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Corporations were given a huge tax cut just for the reason that they will now start paying livable wages, and we can go back to one-earner families. The super low tax rates we had in the 50s-60s were of course what fueled all the re-investment by corporations and low taxes led to an economy that built the interstates and took men to the moon without huge deficits.

Are you sill hanging on to your lunacy that high taxes cause prosperity?

Serf

Corporations were given a huge tax cut just for the reason that they will now start paying livable wages, and we can go back to one-earner families. The super low tax rates we had in the 50s-60s were of course what fueled all the re-investment by corporations and low taxes led to an economy that built the interstates and took men to the moon without huge deficits.
We are in a "Post America" landscape. And I believe you are on to something. For many reasons, including what you've mentioned. It cannot and never will return to real America.

dmac1

Are you still hanging on to your idiocy of putting words in peoples' mouths????? Or is it just that your comprehension is low????

High taxes contributed to the ability of the nation to get things done, and influenced people to re-invest profit to avoid high taxes. Between higher government spending and higher private re-investment of profit, the economy was booming. Those weren't the only causes, but they contributed. Without relatively high investment by the gov in VA financing, and high levels of training of vets, growth would have been lower. The baby boom created huge demand for goods after WWII which created new jobs.

High taxes didn't 'create' prosperity. But they did allow for a lot of good outcomes, by design. Proper use of tax policycan alter personal activity for the better, and if high tax rates encouraged reinvestment to avoid high taxes, it was good for the country. No wealth was lost by those reinvesting their profit instead of taking it out and spending it. . Being 'forced' by the tax code to do what is good for the country instead of what is good for the individual is worth consideration.

But idiots think that high tax rates can only harm, and can't see past their own noses.

dmac1

Are you still hanging on to your idiocy of putting words in peoples' mouths????? Or is it just that your comprehension is low????

High taxes contributed to the ability of the nation to get things done, and influenced people to re-invest profit to avoid high taxes. Between higher government spending and higher private re-investment of profit, the economy was booming. Those weren't the only causes, but they contributed. Without relatively high investment by the gov in VA financing, and high levels of training of vets, growth would have been lower. The baby boom created huge demand for goods after WWII which created new jobs.

High taxes didn't 'create' prosperity. But they did allow for a lot of good outcomes, by design. Proper use of tax policycan alter personal activity for the better, and if high tax rates encouraged reinvestment to avoid high taxes, it was good for the country. No wealth was lost by those reinvesting their profit instead of taking it out and spending it. . Being 'forced' by the tax code to do what is good for the country instead of what is good for the individual is worth consideration.

But idiots think that high tax rates can only harm, and can't see past their own noses.

bacha29

Tax rates in the 1950's were indeed much higher. Paying for WWII, Korea The Cold War along with post WWII baby boom driven demand for new schools hospitals housing and infrastructure drove the need for more tax revenue. Yes rates were high but things got done. Based on today's anti tax political climate what do you think are the odds of the interstate highway act which resulted in the construction of today's interstate highway system getting past. If low taxes are the driver of prosperity then why can't we find the money to do repairs and upgrades? We made a successful moon landing and not just once yet today we can't even find the money to keep the low orbit space shuttle fleet going. In fact according to the Trump administration we don't even have money for Meals on Wheels.

59 Dano

The "contribution" of high tax rates as described by you had little, if any effect on creating prosperity. To say that it did would be to ignorantly ignore the world and the world economy as they existed at that time.

If you think that tax policy can work the magic you think the country needs in the manner you described, then you're just plain lost.

59 Dano

Based on today's anti tax political climate what do you think are the odds of the interstate highway act which resulted in the construction of today's interstate highway system getting past.

Getting past what?

If low taxes are the driver of prosperity then why can't we find the money to do repairs and upgrades?

I don't know what's going on in your neck of Mayberry but the complaints around these parts are about the constant construction delays on the interstates.

We made a successful moon landing and not just once yet today we can't even find the money to keep the low orbit space shuttle fleet going.

You dope, the shuttle program ended because IT WAS SUPPOSED TO END.

bacha29

Getting past what?

I don't know what's going on in your neck of Mayberry but the complaints around these parts are about the constant construction delays on the interstates.

You dope, the shuttle program ended because IT WAS SUPPOSED TO END.
1. Yes, I saw it afterward. I meant passed. 2. My point was you would not see today a project on the scale of the Interstate Highway Act. Furthermore, if as you claim much is being done then why are our bridges and highway systems still failing? Not to mention water and sewer. 3.Child,what have we done in the way of manned exploration since the ending of the shuttle program.? After WWII we had a resolve to create a better more secure nation and we backed up the talk with the money needed to do it.

59 Dano

1. Yes, I saw it afterward. I meant passed. 2. My point was you would not see today a project on the scale of the Interstate Highway Act.

A project on such a scale isn't needed. A primary purpose of the interstate system was to facilitate the mass movement of people and military equipment should the need arise.

Furthermore, if as you claim much is being done then why are our bridges and highway systems still failing? Not to mention water and sewer.

As I said, your neck of Mayberry.

3.Child,what have we done in the way of manned exploration since the ending of the shuttle program.? After WWII we had a resolve to create a better more secure nation and we backed up the talk with the money needed to do it.

By design, the shuttle program was to end upon completion of a space station.

bacha29

A project on such a scale isn't needed. A primary purpose of the interstate system was to facilitate the mass movement of people and military equipment should the need arise.

The question remains. What have we done on that scale since? What major national initiative one that requires the determined resolve of your generation has it undertaken recently? One that completely remakes the entire nation?

It will be fine

A needed project of such a scale would be nationwide fiber internet access. Bring those rednecks into the Information Age.

bacha29

A needed project of such a scale would be nationwide fiber internet access. Bring those rednecks into the Information Age.
But who would spearhead the initiative? Out here in the rural areas Verizon wants to eliminate land line telephones all together and does next to nothing in the way of maintenance . At the back end of my yard is a pole. On that pole rests the switching equipment for the land line phones for the surrounding homes.Now what manufacturer's name is on the switch box? Western Electric. The old Bell System owned equipment manufacturer. Probably made back in the 1960's or perhaps the 1950's.
In these parts there is only one communication network that from reliability perspective that's worse than land lines and that's cell phone service. Verizon is licensed as a nationwide phone and internet provider. Now out here Verizon's long standing belly ache surrounds it's claim that it can't make any money out here. It doesn't want to spend any money keeping up it's land lines or spend the money to put in the cell phone towers needed to fix the dead spots. Same with AT&T T-mobile Sprint etc.
Therefore if there is a nationwide initiative undertaken to bring reliable 5G service nationwide to the nation's rural areas it will require heavy public investment.
Call us rednecks if you want but remember the raw materials needed to build the cities that today creates wealth and opportunities for you as well as the raw agricultural commodities needed to feed you came from out here in redneck country .

Whitelexus

Amazon: the deck is stacked for those at the top. UPS, FedEx and USPS are shooting themselves in the err ‘feet’ by not renegotiating their shipping contracts with this retail titan. Amazon continues to get the best shipping service (obviously UPS) at a discounted rate; all the while making it more affordable for Amazon to start gearing up their own Parcel Delivery Service. Maybe the reality of the Amazon monopoly will hit home once they gain control the shipping industry.

Serf

Central Gov's debase your citizenship, central banks debase your currency, and the central, technocratic state capitalism we have with Google and Facebook take your personhood, and basically take away your intellectual property, your digital sovereignty.

All are serfs. Some, well paid serfs, but you’re serfs. They’ve debased currency, and so you’re continuing to underwrite debt for sovereign governments at zero interest rates, so you’re always on the spinning wheel like a hamster, trying to get ahead. Mark Zuckerberg’s entire business model is based on these activities, taking data for free and monetising it, and then writing algorithms behind a wall that treat you like hamsters on a wheel.

Serf

New Deal Democrats, Arch Real Conservatives. Eisenhower Interstate Projects. Post WW2. When America was a more serious nation. I'm not sure many millennials could have these types of chats.

oldngray

nowhere special
Central Gov's debase your citizenship, central banks debase your currency, and the central, technocratic state capitalism we have with Google and Facebook take your personhood, and basically take away your intellectual property, your digital sovereignty.

All are serfs. Some, well paid serfs, but you’re serfs. They’ve debased currency, and so you’re continuing to underwrite debt for sovereign governments at zero interest rates, so you’re always on the spinning wheel like a hamster, trying to get ahead. Mark Zuckerberg’s entire business model is based on these activities, taking data for free and monetising it, and then writing algorithms behind a wall that treat you like hamsters on a wheel.
th.jpg

59 Dano

The question remains. What have we done on that scale since? What major national initiative one that requires the determined resolve of your generation has it undertaken recently? One that completely remakes the entire nation?

Nothing. What of it?

vantexan

One major difference I've seen over here is, at least in a city that's big enough and prosperous enough, investment in parks and public squares. Places that are a pleasure to walk in and relax. Plenty of private vehicles around but the majority uses public transportation, cheap taxis, or walks. Big sidewalks reflect that. It seems in too many places in the U.S. people have to move into a prosperous neighborhood to enjoy life. I've seen plenty of seedy parks in the States with a likelihood of drugs and violence. Over here you see families out strolling and having a good time. With very nice landscaping, lots of flowers, shade, and fountains. Maybe the U.S. needs some serious self examination of it's priorities.

bacha29

One major difference I've seen over here is, at least in a city that's big enough and prosperous enough, investment in parks and public squares. Places that are a pleasure to walk in and relax. Plenty of private vehicles around but the majority uses public transportation, cheap taxis, or walks. Big sidewalks reflect that. It seems in too many places in the U.S. people have to move into a prosperous neighborhood to enjoy life. I've seen plenty of seedy parks in the States with a likelihood of drugs and violence. Over here you see families out strolling and having a good time. With very nice landscaping, lots of flowers, shade, and fountains. Maybe the U.S. needs some serious self examination of it's priorities.
Happy to see that you're found peace but peace itself is pretty fragile there. You certainly wouldn't want to go wandering into South Odessia or those other Russian occupied Georgian territories . That is however not likely to happen because the Russians won't allow anybody in there in the first place and even if you did chances are you won't get back out.

vantexan

Happy to see that you're found peace but peace itself is pretty fragile there. You certainly wouldn't want to go wandering into South Odessia or those other Russian occupied Georgian territories . That is however not likely to happen because the Russians won't allow anybody in there in the first place and even if you did chances are you won't get back out.
Tough to get into South Ossetia but people visit Abkhazia all the time. Putin has bigger things to worry about than Georgia.