Trump needs to stop Amazon monopoly

bacha29

•their

Amazon won’t pay sales tax. The customers will pay sales tax. But it could level the playing field on prices. Between sales tax and fuel, some states are saving more than 10%.
Amazon applies and collects sales taxes for the 45 states that require it. The issue surrounds the responsibility of the third party vendors who list on Amazon to apply and remit sales taxes on the stuff they sell. There is however a third party they can contract with who will provide that particular service.

Given the explosive growth of the company the controversy surrounding the accusation that it has become a monopoly will continue. However if Bezos can succeed in his efforts to revolutionize the healthcare delivery system thus bringing costs under control the noise surrounding monopoly accusation will quickly dissipate.

Gone fishin

Amazon applies and collects sales taxes for the 45 states that require it. The issue surrounds the responsibility of the third party vendors who list on Amazon to apply and remit sales taxes on the stuff they sell. There is however a third party they can contract with who will provide that particular service.

Given the explosive growth of the company the controversy surrounding the accusation that it has become a monopoly will continue. However if Bezos can succeed in his efforts to revolutionize the healthcare delivery system thus bringing costs under control the noise surrounding monopoly accusation will quickly dissipate.
But he leaves a wake of low paying poverty jobs in the industries he gets into

dmac1

Amazon isn't taking jobs from anyone. It still takes as many people to produce the item- Amazon changes nothing about that.

Amazon hires people to pack and ship all those items, and shippers hire more people to deliver them. It's got to be close to a net of zero jobs lost, and since most retailers merely cut back, and don't shut down due to Amazon competition, Amazon may add net jobs to the overall economy.

If the alternative is Walmart, I prefer Amazon. Most of what I buy except exempt food items gets state taxes added if it is sold by Amazon and items sold by third parties aren't usually much cheaper than buying locally. But with prime membership, I can save lots of money while getting items shipped to my front door while avoiding driving and saving time.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Amazon isn't taking jobs from anyone. It still takes as many people to produce the item- Amazon changes nothing about that.

Amazon hires people to pack and ship all those items, and shippers hire more people to deliver them. It's got to be close to a net of zero jobs lost, and since most retailers merely cut back, and don't shut down due to Amazon competition, Amazon may add net jobs to the overall economy.

If the alternative is Walmart, I prefer Amazon. Most of what I buy except exempt food items gets state taxes added if it is sold by Amazon and items sold by third parties aren't usually much cheaper than buying locally. But with prime membership, I can save lots of money while getting items shipped to my front door while avoiding driving and saving time.

So you’re saying that all the small business that have closed because they can’t compete with Amazon prices and the people they employ haven’t been affected by Amazon?? Or even big stores like a toys R Us and all the people they employ, etc., etc., etc.? Or the businesses around them. Restaurants, etc that depend on THEIR business aren’t affected?

vantexan

So you’re saying that all the small business that have closed because they can’t compete with Amazon prices and the people they employ haven’t been affected by Amazon?? Or even big stores like a toys R Us and all the people they employ, etc., etc., etc.? Or the businesses around them. Restaurants, etc that depend on THEIR business aren’t affected?
I remember a lot of businesses in small towns folding when Wal-Mart moved in. Now a lot of business in those towns are thrift stores, gift shops, etc.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I rememember when they were tearing down drive-in movie theaters to make way for shopping malls. Now the malls are turning into ghost towns. Maybe they can tear the malls down and replace them with drive-in movie theaters - or at least Amazon fulfillment centers. :eek:

Serf

Sunday-Wed. 6am-6pm. 1 hr & 15 min unpaid break. In addition to coming in Thursday for 6 hrs in AM. Off Friday and Saturday. $13 hr to start. Standard 3% raises annually. Production is recorded in scanner, if it's idle & goes down certain number, you're fired. Tardy 3 times, you're fired. This is a brief description of a what a Friend who left express to go work for Amazon told me.
Hovers around 50 hrs a week to gross 36k. In Northeast region. Pay elsewhere is 10$ per hour. Another retailer who simply can't or won't pay a live able wage.

vantexan

Sunday-Wed. 6am-6pm. 1 hr & 15 min unpaid break. In addition to coming in Thursday for 6 hrs in AM. Off Friday and Saturday. $13 hr to start. Standard 3% raises annually. Production is recorded in scanner, if it's idle & goes down certain number, you're fired. Tardy 3 times, you're fired. This is a brief description of a what a Friend who left express to go work for Amazon told me.
Hovers around 50 hrs a week to gross 36k. In Northeast region. Pay elsewhere is 10$ per hour. Another retailer who simply can't or won't pay a live able wage.
They pay $12-$14hr in Kansas City area depending on shift.

dmac1

I'm saying that net to the economy, there isn't that much of a change. Fewer clerks in the local store but more delivery drivers everywhere, and more employees gained at the distribution than lost elsewhere in the cities where distribution centers are located. Buggy builders couldn't compete with auto makers, and only a troglodyte would mourn for those companies that were made obsolete.
Just look at the tens of thousands of delivery drivers FEDEX has added since 2000 to meet the online demand plus UPS, USPS, and all the other local services Amazon uses. The competition from Amazon has even made the competition add delivery services, adding even more jobs. Maybe Walmart lost a few jobs inside the store, but they've added in their warehouses. Now they even offer delivery out of some of their stores. Everyone of those drivers makes more money than if unemployed, and is able to eat at local restaurants. With unemployment hovering around 5%, anyone who wants to work can get a job, so no one is unemployed solely due to Amazon.

Serf

12 -14 an hour is livable wages? Maybe if you still live in your parents basement.
Got a buddy in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Works at a warehouse for 12$ an hour. Not on welfare. Has a 2004 Ford Ranger & a room mate in his apartment. Van is right. Millions of Americans live this way.

bacha29

If you share expenses with someone and especially if you do without a car. Welcome to the nonunion world of tens of millions of people.
One basic fact regarding unions remains. They seek to acquire a family sustaining wage for their members. Unfortunately, in many cases work forces believing their employers claim that they would do better without union representation voted out their union only to see their wages almost immediately go down not up. In the process they lost the most important benefit their union had to offer.........representation.

rod

Retired 22 years
Got a buddy in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Works at a warehouse for 12$ an hour. Not on welfare. Has a 2004 Ford Ranger & a room mate in his apartment. Van is right. Millions of Americans live this way.

I bet his roommate is contributing his/her share of the rent-heat-electric also so lets say that adds up to $24 an hour. That is probably doable depending on what part of the country you live in. What I'm saying is if you are only making 12-14 bucks an hour you either have to have 2 jobs or have a cost sharing partner to make it. 12-14 bucks an hour is not a livable wage in most parts of the country if you are on your own unless you like living in a cardboard box and walking everywhere. It definitely isn't if you are supporting a wife and kids.

Serf

I bet his roommate is contributing his/her share of the rent-heat-electric also so lets say that adds up to $24 an hour. That is probably doable depending on what part of the country you live in. What I'm saying is if you are only making 12-14 bucks an hour you either have to have 2 jobs or have a cost sharing partner to make it. 12-14 bucks an hour is not a livable wage in most parts of the country if you are on your own unless you like living in a cardboard box and walking everywhere. It definitely isn't if you are supporting a wife and kids.
For the most part. Yes. And or other mitigating factors such as selling drugs or welfare. It's a terrible pittance.

dmac1

12 -14 an hour is livable wages? Maybe if you still live in your parents basement.

Corporations were given a huge tax cut just for the reason that they will now start paying livable wages, and we can go back to one-earner families. The super low tax rates we had in the 50s-60s were of course what fueled all the re-investment by corporations and low taxes led to an economy that built the interstates and took men to the moon without huge deficits.