Trump needs to stop Amazon monopoly

vantexan

Hedge fund manager Gene Munster says Amazon will buy Target later this year. I doubt it because if they were to buy Target then you would likely have anti trust issues. If a Time Warner/AT&T merger can't get approval what are the odds of Amazon buying out Target getting approved?
Seems odd for them to want a brick and mortar store. Unless they planned to close it down after buying it.

It will be fine

Maybe "WE" should put the hammer down on them. We should quit being lazy and go to the store to buy our paper towels. If we don't buy from them they will disappear.
What store is that? Walmart? How's that any better? Amazon will live and die by its price and convenience. If either one gets out of whack a competitor will replace them. What they do isn't secret.

dvalleyjim

Trump can't stop Amazon. Read the constitution. Obama isn't president anymore. Congress would have to decide if Amazon is a Monopoly. Amazon could appeal it to the supreme court. This happened to Microsoft years ago. Look it up.
Microsoft just paid off some congressman and said they would be fairer. A better case would be the break up of Ma Bell.
Very hard to do and the Executive branch is not the most powerful. Three equal branches of Govt.

bacha29

Trump can't stop Amazon. Read the constitution. Obama isn't president anymore. Congress would have to decide if Amazon is a Monopoly. Amazon could appeal it to the supreme court. This happened to Microsoft years ago. Look it up.
Microsoft just paid off some congressman and said they would be fairer. A better case would be the break up of Ma Bell.
Very hard to do and the Executive branch is not the most powerful. Three equal branches of Govt.
With it's current work load of ongoing investigations I don't think that DOJ has the money or the manpower to take on Jeff Bezos at the present time.

dvalleyjim

the DOJ could destroy Jeff Bezos. The Federal Government can print money. It's 20 trillion in debt with 90 trillion in unfunded liabilities. Has a trillion and a half yearly budget. It could buy and sell Jeff Bezos. And the money it doesn't print, they confiscate from us the taxpayer.

bbsam

Staff member
the DOJ could destroy Jeff Bezos. The Federal Government can print money. It's 20 trillion in debt with 90 trillion in unfunded liabilities. Has a trillion and a half yearly budget. It could buy and sell Jeff Bezos. And the money it doesn't print, they confiscate from us the taxpayer.
Conservatives used to complain about the Obama administration "picking winners and losers". Are you now advocating that the Federal government should go out of its way to destroy a company?

bacha29

Conservatives used to complain about the Obama administration "picking winners and losers". Are you now advocating that the Federal government should go out of its way to destroy a company?
Might be pretty hard to find enough DOJ attorney's or grand jury members willing to sell their AMZN stock in order to undertake a case against Bezos. Too much money has been made off of AMZN stock and will likely be even more made off it going forward.

dvalleyjim

Of course not. I believe in a constitutional republic based on the founding. I thought the comment was that Amazon is bigger than the Federal Government. Maybe i was wrong. Nothing is bigger than the federal government since they have the authority to print money and seize it from the citizenry. Something Jeff Bezos cannot do.

bacha29

Of course not. I believe in a constitutional republic based on the founding. I thought the comment was that Amazon is bigger than the Federal Government. Maybe i was wrong. Nothing is bigger than the federal government since they have the authority to print money and seize it from the citizenry. Something Jeff Bezos cannot do.
BTW. Did you guys see the WSJ story regarding the need to break Facebook and Google? While people get access free of charge the question according to the WSJ is whether or not they're monopolies given their efforts to keep new entrants into their space.

Serf

I'm undecided on the Amazon Question. However, some images I just can't get out of my head:
*Friend's wife dropped $3,700 on Christmas gifts for extended family. "OMG, it was so easy. I just clicked and 2 days later it was on my doorstep!"
*Young ppl picking grocery orders in walk in Amazon coolers, messing around and being fired for getting caught having sex on surv. Camera.
*Things that you absolutely think you need, but really do not. But having the capability to click & receive. You're life is full of plastic junk clutter and it's becoming a metaphor for who you are.

They will make sure amazon pays there taxes instead of avoiding it .
•their

Amazon won’t pay sales tax. The customers will pay sales tax. But it could level the playing field on prices. Between sales tax and fuel, some states are saving more than 10%.

rod

Retired 22 years
Trump is good but he can't fix everything. He fixed global warming (3/4 of the country still has snow or is colder than normal) so cut him some slack.