Turkey Bonus

KingofBrown

hey, i've read that UPS had a history of 100 years of giving a Christmas bonus to all employees. first with bars of gold and then turkeys as a way to recognize employees. this last peak season in my center we didn't receive a turkey because of the "economic crisis." they've broken a past practice, no, a long UPS tradition of 100 years in just one month because of stupid excuses (i'd say). or is it just in my center that we didn't receive the turkey, or did that happen national? did you guys get a turkey last peak season? by the way :happy-very:, i did eat turkey anyway, hehehe. i'm just wondering.

What I would like to see is a $50 or so gift certificate for free shipping so that the employees can get their gifts off to loved ones. It wouldn`t actually cost the company $50 as the trucks are headed out anyway but it would help the pocketbooks of the employee and would be a more off a good will gesture.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Then the people who have all local relatives would complain that they get nothing. You can't win. "Nothing" works and is fair to everyone !!

pretzel_man

hey, i've read that UPS had a history of 100 years of giving a Christmas bonus to all employees. first with bars of gold and then turkeys as a way to recognize employees. this last peak season in my center we didn't receive a turkey because of the "economic crisis." they've broken a past practice, no, a long UPS tradition of 100 years in just one month because of stupid excuses (i'd say). or is it just in my center that we didn't receive the turkey, or did that happen national? did you guys get a turkey last peak season? by the way :happy-very:, i did eat turkey anyway, hehehe. i'm just wondering.

You are correct that no turkey was given last year.

You are NOT correct about it being the first time the tradition was suspended.

Jim Casey himself decided to stop giving out turkeys after the depression. It was halted from 1937 to 1944.

P-Man

KingofBrown

I didn't know the tradition was halted on the Great Depression. I've always read it's been a tradition in all 100 years, but it is good to know that. On the other hand, it's not the turkey itself, I'm sure we can all afford a turkey, and with the bonus of one I'm sure most of us would have an extra one, or one that we could save for later. My point is the tradition been broken, not the turkey. The turkey is just and object, the tradition is representative. On the other hand I don't believe UPS saved much of a deal, or if it was worth it. On the Great Depression I understand the suspension, but as of recently, UPS has had a revenue that doesn't excuse the suspension. If the tradition was halted from 1937 to 1944, I see that Sir Jim Casey tried to continue the tradition even on hard times. Because if it was for that he would suspend it since 1929, along with the next day air service. My main point is that breaking such a big practice make other ones vulnerable. And I respect all your point of views, I'm just giving mine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I personally miss the Years of Service and Safe Driving Award programs more than the holiday turkey. I would like to see both restored, if only to mark milestone years, starting at year 5 and every 5 years thereafter.

srvhero

"leastbest"
Just wait, after the next contract, the loss of service and safety awards and turkeys will be laughable. The true pain awaits us all on the next contract......:greedy:

Yea and what happened to the thrift plan did you lose that to i also heard some driver can where shorts now?

KingofBrown

Yes, out of tradition and principal. We can't get our turkeys but someone got a $5million+ raise? Please.

I agree. oh did that guy get a turkey besides the $5 million? I believe it's even more than $5million. If I'm not wrong he got like $3 million more, in other compesations. But, well...