Turning point coming

Aquaman

All of us often talk about how badly FedEx is run, and I agree it is. But the stock price keeps going up. From the outside, it certainly looks well run. Maybe they keep a second set of books.
Anybody that’s been here for 15 years or longer has seen the steep decline. The pay is now struggling to keep up with fast food, Walmart, Target, sweeping up popcorn at the movie theater lol. Employees being promoted to managment who have no business doing the job just because nobody else wants to. It used to be hard to get a full time courier job. You used to have to wait for years. Full time RTD jobs used to be next to impossible to get. I remember looking on JCATS when you could preview your seniority against the other bidders. Every full time position would have 10-20 employees bidding, if not more. Now…. Well they can’t get anyone to take a full time courier job. Full time RTD jobs are bid and rebid and rebid and rebid. They throw a waiver on it and STILL no interest. The external postings don’t garner much interest either. The company has an army of 10-20 year employees that are miserable for having stayed so long. We’re contracting more routes out than ever before. Sending more freight to Ground than ever before. Combining express into ground facilities. And don’t even get me started on the training. A lot of new couriers are being thrown on the road with no training. Courier class was 2 weeks when I went. And I left knowing exactly how to work the powerpad. How to pup an international multi piece, all of it. We’ve pretty much given up on training… so the people that have been here a while, we know the mess this place has become. The public just sees that moving packages is a profitable business. They don’t see that this place is dying.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Anybody that’s been here for 15 years or longer has seen the steep decline. The pay is now struggling to keep up with fast food, Walmart, Target, sweeping up popcorn at the movie theater lol. Employees being promoted to managment who have no business doing the job just because nobody else wants to. It used to be hard to get a full time courier job. You used to have to wait for years. Full time RTD jobs used to be next to impossible to get. I remember looking on JCATS when you could preview your seniority against the other bidders. Every full time position would have 10-20 employees bidding, if not more. Now…. Well they can’t get anyone to take a full time courier job. Full time RTD jobs are bid and rebid and rebid and rebid. They throw a waiver on it and STILL no interest. The external postings don’t garner much interest either. The company has an army of 10-20 year employees that are miserable for having stayed so long. We’re contracting more routes out than ever before. Sending more freight to Ground than ever before. Combining express into ground facilities. And don’t even get me started on the training. A lot of new couriers are being thrown on the road with no training. Courier class was 2 weeks when I went. And I left knowing exactly how to work the powerpad. How to pup an international multi piece, all of it. We’ve pretty much given up on training… so the people that have been here a while, we know the mess this place has become. The public just sees that moving packages is a profitable business. They don’t see that this place is dying.
The entire American economy is having trouble hiring and retaining people. We are moving sustained unprecedented amounts of freight. Have you been in hibernation or something?

MAKAVELI

The entire American economy is having trouble hiring and retaining people. We are moving sustained unprecedented amounts of freight. Have you been in hibernation or something?
UPS doesn't have the problems FedEx has because of their single efficient system and stable union workforce. Freddy has done more damage to the brand by using contractors and having such an anti union stance than he realizes.

Aquaman

UPS doesn't have the problems FedEx has because of their single efficient system and stable union workforce. Freddy has done more damage to the brand by using contractors and having such an anti union stance than he realizes.
Was just about to throw UPS in his face. They don’t have a driver shortage.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We are moving sustained unprecedented amounts of freight.
Yeah, and not very well at that. You’re an idiot if you think they can keep up that kind of game forever when all they care about is stock price and union busting.

Better polish up your resume’.

Aquaman

This company was having problems with hiring before the pandemic. And considering most of managment is promoted from within… the weaker applicants are being granted jobs due to no interest.

El Morado Diablo

Typical Fedex management, pretend it has nothing to do with pay. Too funny.

The ramp that serves my station is so understaffed that they don't even bother to fly our freight to us anymore. They send 2 trucks (one via contractors). We usually leave the station after 10:30am so our service is a joke. They've been trying to hire more people at the ramp but they only pay $14.79hr -- which is $0.30 more than minimum wage in our state. They're not competitive and they really aren't trying. Amazon has a fulfillment center at that airport. The starting wage there is $18.00hr + $3000 signing bonus.

FedEx would rather lose money & customers hoping to ride out the lack of staffing than raise wages to attract and retain workers and improve service.

Aquaman

The ramp that serves my station is so understaffed that they don't even bother to fly our freight to us anymore. They send 2 trucks (one via contractors). We usually leave the station after 10:30am so our service is a joke. They've been trying to hire more people at the ramp but they only pay $14.79hr -- which is $0.30 more than minimum wage in our state. They're not competitive and they really aren't trying. Amazon has a fulfillment center at that airport. The starting wage there is $18.00hr + $3000 signing bonus.

FedEx would rather lose money & customers hoping to ride out the lack of staffing than raise wages to attract and retain workers and improve service.
It’s because FedEx views everything as a wave. Everything will pass. Why raise wages when eventually everything will go back to normal? People will start taking $14/hr warehouse jobs again, just wait. McDonald’s in my area pays more than Express. We’re still posting Express handler jobs for $14/hr, when ground 15 minutes down the road is hiring full time for $26/hr, with an additional attendance bonus. Freight is picking off our newer RTD’s for $30/hr. I’d love for Dano to explain how that’s all economy related. It’s all COVID related. People are working and taking jobs. This company has just decided they’re not going to compete. And it’s probably going to sink the company. It’s already sunk the culture.

59 Dano

Was just about to throw UPS in his face. They don’t have a driver shortage.
There's a 15 page thread in the UPS section that talks about their staffing problems.

You both could stand to learn a little about the industry. UPS? Lots of turnover with the 22.4 drivers, who were sold down the river by the IBT and the union members who approved that language in the contract. Haven't you heard? UPS is cutting wages and hours in several parts of the country.

59 Dano

Typical Fedex management, pretend it has nothing to do with pay. Too funny.
I said nothing of the sort. Why do you think certain areas were given $3/hour pay bumps? Why do you think they were extended indefinitely when they were originally planned to end at the first of the year.

You people...

59 Dano

I’d love for Dano to explain how that’s all economy related.
Well, considering I didn't say that, I don't know how to explain it.

What I did say was that staffing issues are widespread. You seem stuck on the idea that they are exclusive to FedEx.

MAKAVELI

There's a 15 page thread in the UPS section that talks about their staffing problems.

You both could stand to learn a little about the industry. UPS? Lots of turnover with the 22.4 drivers, who were sold down the river by the IBT and the union members who approved that language in the contract. Haven't you heard? UPS is cutting wages and hours in several parts of the country.
More Putinism from a corporate shill. Sorry bud but they do not have the service and staffing issues that FedEx has. You're more than welcome to post proof of your claim.

Aquaman

What I did say was that staffing issues are widespread. You seem stuck on the idea that they are exclusive to FedEx.
FedEx EXPRESS does have a problem worse than a lot of companies. Because they’re not adjusting the pay enough. $3 bump in most places is STILL only in the $17-$18/hr range. You know COMPETING means you’re raising pay higher than other companies. Not paying the same. And most places aren’t even getting the $3 bump. The difference with UPS is they don’t have to compete as fiercely in the handler area because they have a industry leading job that everyone at the company is willing to wait for. And FedEx has……….?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

They’re the most severe at FedEx. Think it might have something to do with word getting out that things are not real good for employees?

floridays

FedEx's saving grace compared to UPS is their contract.
FedEx can offer more for entry level than UPS.
That does not mean they can retain them however.

floridays

FedEx EXPRESS does have a problem worse than a lot of companies. Because they’re not adjusting the pay enough. $3 bump in most places is STILL only in the $17-$18/hr range. You know COMPETING means you’re raising pay higher than other companies. Not paying the same. And most places aren’t even getting the $3 bump. The difference with UPS is they don’t have to compete as fiercely in the handler area because they have a industry leading job that everyone at the company is willing to wait for. And FedEx has……….?
I disagree in part.

Aquaman

I disagree in part.
You don’t think the package car job is a hiring tool? You don’t think a $100K a year driving job is a draw? I know for a fact a lot of handlers get on there with the goal of driving. At FedEx they can’t hire full time drivers off the street. What handler at express has the goal of driving? Lol you don’t have to even be a handler first here.

floridays

You don’t think the package car job is a hiring tool? You don’t think a $100K a year driving job is a draw? I know for a fact a lot of handlers get on there with the goal of driving. At FedEx they can’t hire full time drivers off the street. What handler at express has the goal of driving? Lol you don’t have to even be a handler first here.
It is a tool.