Twelve Step Program Experience ( On Topic Please)

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have a story to share.

This one time when my wife and I were it yet married but still together I got blasted and got this chunky (ya know not like a whale but certainly no hard body like right in @MyTripisCut wheelhouse) any way where was I? Oh yeah so we get blasted and start fooling around. She tells me she never learned to play the clarinet at school. Even for her fiancé. Oh ok so I thought I’d teach her. Poor girl worst clarinet player ever. Zero skill wouldn’t take instruction. Heard she’s recently divorced. Not surprising.
👎

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm not there. I have an addictive personality, don't struggle with alcohol, but sex and weed sign me up. Both have led to major downfalls in my life. But they both have led to the blessings and success I and those around me have today. So you take those out, I'm not me, this isn't my existence. Perhaps everything serves it's purpose.
that’s the hard part I think for any addict. They just have addictive personalities. My brother in law went from booze to working out back to booze to now he just drinks like 20 diet cokes per day.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I have a story to share.

This one time when my wife and I were it yet married but still together I got blasted and got this chunky (ya know not like a whale but certainly no hard body like right in @MyTripisCut wheelhouse) any way where was I? Oh yeah so we get blasted and start fooling around. She tells me she never learned to play the clarinet at school. Even for her fiancé. Oh ok so I thought I’d teach her. Poor girl worst clarinet player ever. Zero skill wouldn’t take instruction. Heard she’s recently divorced. Not surprising.
Glad you were just practicing the clarinet. I was worried you were porking fat chicks.

sailfish

I've never been addicted or an alcoholic but when I was younger, drinking led me to do some really, really, really stupid sh*. In my early twenties I decided to kick it altogether and stayed nearly bone dry for about seven years. Then accumulative events last year friend*ed that streak all up BUT I can at least say I manage it much better than I did back then. I know how not drink to complete and utter sh*facedness (just regular sh*facedness is my limit) and confine anything past one to weekends. And instead of going out and making a complete ass out of myself by stealing drinks, starting barfights with giant lesbians, and crashing drag shows like back then, the dumbest thing I've done now was text an ex a picture of my giant dick shadow on the wall. More often than not it's just me and a buddy getting drunk and watching Adam Sandler movies or belligerently shouting at 12-year-olds on Cawadoody while they push our sh* in. Pretty much just all good fun now.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have a story to share.

thanks for sharing

lmao

sailfish

Did a lot of sitting around a fire and talking about the 90's and early 2000's all night over a few hard drinks and SXM Lithium this past summer. Will probably be more of that to look forward to.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Anybody have any experience with any of the Twelve Step Programs out there?

I have much experience with AA,

little experience with NA(long, long time ago went to a couple of meetings,

knew someone who went to OA,

one of my friends goes to GA.

Any on topic contribution is welcome!
I have been attending NA and AA for 3 1/2 years now.
I have not drank alcohol since July 2017.
Abstinence is not Recovery.
The reason I really appreciate NA (and the Twelve Steps program) is not the sobriety but the way I feel about myself.
I still suffer from occasional depression but with the support of my NA Family and the principles taught in 12 Steps, I am able to manage my feelings about myself and depression.

Recovery is the real goal of any 12 Step program but getting clean first is the key to begin the road to Recovery.
Recovery means many things but one I hear a lot and I feels is. "Recovery is commonly defined as the process of getting better from an illness or otherwise returning to a state of physical and especially 'mental health'."

People working in the alcohol and other drug field have different views about the idea of recovery and there is little agreement about what it means and involves or how to assess it.

quad decade guy

While I am unencumbered with drug addiction/abuse or religion....my immediate family was/is...

The only member of the three to seek help is my Brother. He attended AA meetings for awhile. During this brief time, he was almost delightful to be around and our relationship seemed closer than ever. We spent a lot more time together, doing guy things and helping each other....I haven't spoken to my Brother in 2 years....

I believe in redemption. I also believe in responsibility. I also believe both are up to the individual.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have been attending NA and AA for 3 1/2 years now.
I have not drank alcohol since July 2017.
Abstinence is not Recovery.
The reason I really appreciate NA (and the Twelve Steps program) is not the sobriety but the way I feel about myself.
I still suffer from occasional depression but with the support of my NA Family and the principles taught in 12 Steps, I am able to manage my feelings about myself and depression.

Recovery is the real goal of any 12 Step program but getting clean first is the key to begin the road to Recovery.
Recovery means many things but one I hear a lot and I feels is. "Recovery is commonly defined as the process of getting better from an illness or otherwise returning to a state of physical and especially 'mental health'."

People working in the alcohol and other drug field have different views about the idea of recovery and there is little agreement about what it means and involves or how to assess it.
Thanks for sharing!

Integrity

Binge Poster
While I am unencumbered with drug addiction/abuse or religion....my immediate family was/is...

The only member of the three to seek help is my Brother. He attended AA meetings for awhile. During this brief time, he was almost delightful to be around and our relationship seemed closer than ever. We spent a lot more time together, doing guy things and helping each other....I haven't spoken to my Brother in 2 years....

I believe in redemption. I also believe in responsibility. I also believe both are up to the individual.
Thanks for sharing !

Integrity

Binge Poster
Defective relations with other human beings have nearly always been the immediate cause of our woes, including our alcoholism, no field of investigation could yield more satisfying and valuable rewards than this one. Look at how we have harmed others in any way.

quad decade guy

Defective relations with other human beings have nearly always been the immediate cause of our woes, including our alcoholism, no field of investigation could yield more satisfying and valuable rewards than this one. Look at how we have harmed others in any way.
Little bit of victim shaming/blame there....could you clarify/explain?