Two Men And A Truck or...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Here if its 150lbs it wont go on a package car. Consignee has to come to the hub with a truck if it makes it this far
Funny you mentioned this, as it happened in our hub earlier this week. One of the FT driver stewards got a transmission for a local car dealership loaded on his car. It was even audited and came in at 190lbs written in big red ink over the 150lb sticker. Driver was on the route when he discovered it, phoned management and they told him to bring it back as he didn't want to risk the drivers safety. They informed him they'll have the customer come pick it up at the hub. This was all put out in the open the following day during the PCM.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Funny you mentioned this, as it happened in our hub earlier this week. One of the FT driver stewards got a transmission for a local car dealership loaded on his car. It was even audited and came in at 190lbs written in big red ink over the 150lb sticker. Driver was on the route when he discovered it, phoned management and they told him to bring it back as he didn't want to risk the drivers safety. They informed him they'll have the customer come pick it up at the hub. This was all put out in the open the following day during the PCM.

If the pkg had made it on to the pkg car I would have simply delivered it. I am certain I could have gotten help at the car dealership and I know that they would have appreciated having it delivered rather than having to go pick it up the next day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If the pkg had made it on to the pkg car I would have simply delivered it. I am certain I could have gotten help at the car dealership and I know that they would have appreciated having it delivered rather than having to go pick it up the next day.

Not me.
Inconvienince and failure can be a great learning tool.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not me.
Inconvienince and failure can be a great learning tool.

Inconvenience.

So you would "screw you" to the kids who busted their butts to get the tranny on to the pkg car by asking them to do it all over again by taking it off?

Are you telling me you couldn't get 3-4 guys at the dealership to give you a hand for a few minutes?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Inconvenience teaches a lesson that will be learned much faster than anything else. The likelihood the shipper would get a phone call if you delivered it, from the dealership, is much less likely if you made them come pick it up at the hub. Not to mention if the shipper continuously made their customers pick up packages at the hub, due to their intentional deception, I'm sure they'll correct the behavior or lose more customers.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Inconvenience.

So you would "screw you" to the kids who busted their butts to get the tranny on to the pkg car by asking them to do it all over again by taking it off?

Are you telling me you couldn't get 3-4 guys at the dealership to give you a hand for a few minutes?
These kids are the same ones that decided to load it with the red auditors marker with 190 on it because they didn't want/were scared to deal with it, involving thier supervisor. Looks like everyone learns a lesson from this mistake if that's the case. Perhaps next time they'll think twice before loading something they know shouldn't be loaded because they want to hit Dunkin Donuts a little earlier, not caring about the drivers safety.

Big Babooba

What would happen if you injured yourself while delivering this 190 lb package? Would UPS and Slippery Mutual be sympathetic or throw you under the bus? I've been under that bus and believe me it is one of the worst places anybody wants to be. Your wanting to deliver it is commendable. The package should have been held at the center and the customer could have come pick it up that day if they chose to do so.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I'm sure ups would prefer to have helpers year round. That is something that I wouldn't vote for but I haven't voted yes on a contract yet. Fed ex ground in my area already has two men and a truck. I prefer to drink alone.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I probably would have delivered that transmission. But let's change that. I would have driven it to the delivery point and the receiver can have it's own people get it off the truck. This guy ain't touching it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Inconvenience.

Thanks Nancy. Everybody admires a spelling Nazi on an internet forum.

Interesting and ironically telling abbreviation you used there, tranny.
I wouldn't be screwing anybody as they have the same right to not forward the overweight package.

No, not couldn't, wouldn't.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Isn't stops per car just the other side of the coin from stops per minute?

Both are just another way of measuring allocated work load.
40 years ago it was SPORH (Stops per On-Road Hour).

Any business that does NOT plan and measure the work will fail.
The implementation may be awkward and screwed up but the alternative is worse.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm sure ups would prefer to have helpers year round. That is something that I wouldn't vote for but I haven't voted yes on a contract yet. Fed ex ground in my area already has two men and a truck. I prefer to drink alone.

As does George Thorogood.

"Two men and a Truck" is the name of a local moving company in the Atlanta area.

However, you take is even better than the original post.

Rico

Sorry, meant stops per hour. I just remember the days of 'if your not doing 18 stops/hour you are doing something wrong'. Even when I spent my whole day on a University Campus with numerous bulk stops.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

"Two men and a Truck" is the name of a local moving company in the Atlanta area.

It's actually a franchise out of Michigan. I'll call your two men and truck and raise you a bridge.

satellitedriver

Yes, and no, Hoke.
As far as I know,
SPORH is still the base metric I.E. uses for time studies.

The stops per car metric is a direct result of the pas/edd
dogmatic approach.
Dispatch is based on dividing the number of pkg cars into the present volume.
Routes are cut, and, add/ cuts are added to the prescribed number of allowed pkgs cars, without regard to efficiency.
I easily made $15,000.00 last year in excess O.T., do to the incorrect dispatches based on SPC.
I could have done the same amount of productivity for $75,000.00, but for their efficient dispatch, they paid me $90,000.00.
What alternative is worse that blatantly losing money through bad planning?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes, and no, Hoke.
As far as I know,
SPORH is still the base metric I.E. uses for time studies.

The stops per car metric is a direct result of the pas/edd
dogmatic approach.
Dispatch is based on dividing the number of pkg cars into the present volume.
Routes are cut, and, add/ cuts are added to the prescribed number of allowed pkgs cars, without regard to efficiency.
I easily made $15,000.00 last year in excess O.T., do to the incorrect dispatches based on SPC.
I could have done the same amount of productivity for $75,000.00, but for their efficient dispatch, they paid me $90,000.00.
What alternative is worse that blatantly losing money through bad planning?

SPORH = Stops / (average Driver time - am - pm) * number of drivers dispatched
Mgt tended to reduce number of drivers if there was a high to-from mileage

SPC = Stops / number of drivers dispatched
Mgt tends to reduce the number of drivers

To me, these two metrics measure pretty much the same thing except the "average Driver time - am - pm" is eliminated from the equation.
Therefore, the number of drivers dispatched has been reduced without consideration of other factors.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Actually, and I didn't know this until I Googled it, Two men & a Truck has 225 locations in 34 states.