two pay raises this year??

MondayLates

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They are anything but anonymous...ok your name is not on the score, but your manager knows who did and did not take the SFA, a majority of managers will take a look at their scores multiple times during the day, along with a roster of employees that just completed it...not to hard to figure out who gave what score.

It doesn't work like that. Managers do not have access to scores until they are provided to them, which is long after the deadline to take the SFA.

59 Dano

I beg to differ. That's BS and you know it. My father has often repeated the saying, Actions speak louder than words. A manager can preach to me about how I'm being paid fairly until he's blue in the face, and the truth shows every week on my paycheck. Station management can ply us with donuts and breakfast 5 days a week to show us that "Fedex Cares", but the reality is in my ever expanding employee file of OLCC's and warning letters, even after 20 plus years if being told what a great courier I am.

Re-read what I posted. The quality managers consider how their words and actions will affect SFA scores and adjust them as such. And they do that regularly and subtly. They don't ignore everything beyond those questions that directly concern them, then hit you with a PR blitz (aside from the food) in March and April.

And then the insurance that's not worth much. Another whole line of BS I don't buy when management tries to convince me how good I have it.

You may be gullible enough to buy the smoke and mirrors but I'm don't. I rate my manager well, because he does a great job and rate the company horribly.

No one high up expects great scores for the company-specific questions. They expect a certain level of agreement from each workgroup. Not great, and certainly not great on every question, but enough agreement on those questions as a whole to show that the manager is making an effort with his actions to address those issues in some manner. If you want to base every answer on your pay/benefits, then that's up to you. If your manager gets a very good score for himself and a bad enough score for the company, that will be interpreted as him not addressing those issues and/or making excuses to save face in front of his workgroup.

I don't care how you rate anyone or anything. What I can tell you is how your answers are interpreted and what the expectations of your manager are as far as the SFA is concerned.

59 Dano

And another thing, if FedEx was such a great place to work with great pay and benefits, there would be QUALITY prospects lined up for the jobs, as opposed to the misfits who are hired now. When I was hired, if you didn't know someone on the inside your chances of being hired were pretty small. Now, if you have a pulse and can pass the 3 requirements, it's a piece of cake.

I don't think "FedEx is a great place to work" is one of the questions.

And as your dad said, actions speak louder than words. Every day that you show up for work is one more point in favor of FedEx. I don't think the company is all that. It's good enough to keep me from making any real effort at finding something else. Not good enough to keep me from ignoring opportunities elsewhere. It's pretty hard to get fired, I'll give them that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't think "FedEx is a great place to work" is one of the questions.

And as your dad said, actions speak louder than words. Every day that you show up for work is one more point in favor of FedEx. I don't think the company is all that. It's good enough to keep me from making any real effort at finding something else. Not good enough to keep me from ignoring opportunities elsewhere. It's pretty hard to get fired, I'll give them that.
Trust me, those aren't points for FedEx. They're points for my the kids. They are the ONLY reason, I drag my butt into FedEx every day. I would have been gone years ago if not for them.

And you're correct, it's very hard to get fired.

59 Dano

Trust me, those aren't points for FedEx. They're points for my the kids. They are the ONLY reason, I drag my butt into FedEx every day. I would have been gone years ago if not for them.

And you're correct, it's very hard to get fired.

They aren't points as far as you are concerned. The company sees a person who eschewed plenty of chances to take better work elsewhere over the course of 20 years, but didn't.

59 Dano

It seems like your the type that doesn't like to be challenged. Even when your bs, the company line, is so obvious.

Quite the opposite. I love a challenge! Maybe you'll present one instead of just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Company line? You mean when I'm complaining about the company, or when I'm telling someone how to keep from screwing themselves, or something like that?

Last edited:

vantexan

They aren't points as far as you are concerned. The company sees a person who eschewed plenty of chances to take better work elsewhere over the course of 20 years, but didn't.
Well that's not exactly correct now is it? 20+ years ago you had a different type person, on average, than today applying for the job. There was a time when being a courier had a future and the company never missed a chance to tell us so. Then we went into the phase where, year over year, the company started peeling away at the benefits. Pay for top out got frozen. They shook quite a few couriers out, myself included, before significantly increasing pay for topped out couriers(took a union scare to do it). Yes, I came back, which you love to point out. Late '98. My little business venture didn't work out, heard FedEx was now paying better. Was told by mgr's would top out in 7 to 8 years. Heard that line at all the stations I transferred to being told to newhires right up to 2012. Soon became apparent in early 2000's they only intended better pay for topped out, the rest of us might work 30 years without reaching top pay. Why stay? The traditional pension for me. When they terminated that in 2008 why stay? The economy tanked. Then for me in 2011 had health issues. Left in 2013. Why come back? Wouldn't have, but my wife really didn't want to live overseas. Had no choice but as Operational Needs pointed out it's not hard getting on these days, especially if willing to go where they were desperately needing a courier in a remote location but couldn't find someone. Point is that everyone has their own reasons for working for or staying with FedEx, not that the company is a square dealer with us. The company is a user which chews people up, giving very little back. Take not giving back my percentage of range, which policy clearly says they could have. All my many years of hard work, going the extra mile, didn't matter one iota to them. Getting me on the cheap, even when I was saving them a lot of OT moving out to that location, was more important to them than taking care of their employee. Users. You point to those who stuck with it, I see many, many more, close to a million more, who didn't. One thing the company did teach me was to use them as they use me, leaving next time on my terms. The extra money they're about to pay? Not worth it at this point and with taking my traditional pension won't be able to return, fine by me.

bacha29

I feel for you Van T . The thing I saw with X is that if you have the word " manager" beside your name they adore you. They believe that the manager is guy who is out every damn day in every kind of weather imaginable on every kind of road or nonroad and get that expletive deleted box delivered. They and that damn box sitting on their desk that they have their face buried in is what gets the box where it's supposed to go. The meat in the seat, the slab in the cab is of no importance and no value and something to be disposed of. What is so amazing is that despite having spent billions trying to get kids to a higher level of education there is now a next generation coming into that terminal with nothing more than a high school diploma no in demand skills and see driving for X or an X contractor as their ticket to security. I told many of them right to their faces," if this is what you are planning on expending your peak earning years on then pal you're a dead man walking".