Two Tier Driver....AKA Combo job

Do you approve UPS opening up more jobs by offer driver as a combo position?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

35years

Gravy route
To tell you the truth the idea of red-circled drivers makes sick to my stomach.
That is essentially saying the job is being replaced by combos, eventually.

Anyone else been here long enough to remember that all the inside workers were once full time?
Their jobs were to staffed by full timers and only part timers added.
This was before the era of combo jobs.
How many full time non-combo inside sorters remain?

Is this a proposal to relieve weekend work and excessive overtime OR a way to move ground with cheaper workers?
This is a huge concession. If they want create hybrid drivers then they better be guaranteed 8 hours AND should be paid at full driver's scale.
This would give UPS a flexible workforce without creating 2nd class drivers.

If we have to swallow the bitter pill of hybrid drivers there should be clear cut straightforward restrictions.

Here are some thoughts on restrictions, honestly it would be a mess:
1. Current T-S and M-friend driver positions remain full time regular driver positions at full pay; UPS is already cutting back Sat drivers in anticipation.
2. Tue-Sat and Wed-Sun hybrid positions will be bid to current full time employees before filling from the outside.
3. No regular driver will be forced to accept relief from a hybrid driver.
4. No hybrid/combo driver should be allowed to preform driver work more than 4 hours per day M-Sat.
5. No hybrid drivers will be allowed to drive if any regular driver is laid off or working inside because his driving work is cut.
6. No hybrid driver can claim seniority rights over any regular driver for any driving work.
7. Mon-Sat no more than 10% of all drivers working can be hybrid drivers on daily basis.
8. Hybrid drivers will not be allowed to cover for vacations or regular bid positions.
9 Regular drivers may grieve, and be paid for hours worked by hybrid drivers if UPS violates the restrictions.

If you are a cover driver for 30 years it's your own doing and nothing to brag about.
I’m just stating that people complaining about how Saturdays operate is my normal week m-friend. Being cover driver is not my fault, it’s what I choose. You should get out more. There’s a lot you have not experienced.

542thruNthru

I’m just stating that people complaining about how Saturdays operate is my normal week m-friend. Being cover driver is not my fault, it’s what I choose. You should get out more. There’s a lot you have not experienced.

I prefer to experience life without looking at it through a UPS windshield. My seniority gives me the opportunity to enjoy myself on and off the job. Having a nice route by the ocean and being able to pick almost any week during the year to travel is plenty for me.

You can continue to pretend you're some how smarter and more worldly because you are a 30 year cover driver. Whatever makes you happy but no one here thinks you're some how tough or talented for dealing with it.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
So it is your fault.

I prefer to experience life without looking at it through a UPS windshield. My seniority gives me the opportunity to enjoy myself on and off the job. Having a nice route by the ocean and being able to pick almost any week during the year to travel is plenty for me.

You can continue to pretend you're some how smarter and more worldly because you are a 30 year cover driver. Whatever makes you happy but no one here thinks you're some how tough or talented for dealing with it.
Teamsters are who treat me the worst. Im able to vacation every weekend. Island routes are my favorite. When the job starts getting too much, I’ll just go into feeder. Or retire and start a new career.

This does not create any jobs. It only changes existing jobs to a lower pay rate.
You can’t make any protection until the language is set for a vote. The same thing was said with the creation of 22.3. Does it change the pay? Yes... Does it create more jobs? Yes. So it could be looked at in a lot of different ways. But once again I’m not saying much about it until I see what it is firsts.

Milton's Stapler

Hemorrhoid Boy
The reason they want to do the combination driver jobs is because they can't find/keep people to load the trucks. The way it was explained to me was a combination driver would work about 4 hours inside pre load (loading your own truck and other RPCD) then run a mini route. Making the $20.50 rate for 40 hours. Personally, I'm currently a part-time cover and working close to 40 hours a week as it is. I'm not crazy about having to load again but if thats what it takes.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
The reason they want to do the combination driver jobs is because they can't find/keep people to load the trucks. The way it was explained to me was a combination driver would work about 4 hours inside pre load (loading your own truck and other RPCD) then run a mini route. Making the $20.50 rate for 40 hours. Personally, I'm currently a part-time cover and working close to 40 hours a week as it is. I'm not crazy about having to load again but if thats what it takes.

Yeah, wait until you see the details! Do you really think UPS is going to pay $34/hour for 4 hours loading trucks just so they can get 4 hours of driver time at a $6/hour discount?!?!?!

Yeah, wait until you see the details! Do you really think UPS is going to pay $34/hour for 4 hours loading trucks just so they can get 4 hours of driver time at a $6/hour discount?!?!?!
What if the partimers do show or quite because the pay isn’t like it was in years past. Wait... Its happen now! It's happen all over the country. I don’t think the company has a choice. Comb drivers will load trucks, then the company is going automated, which will cut the PT work force up a lot and that will pay the combo drivers and ups. It’s a win win for the company!

Staydryitsraining

yes

i think the Teamsters should come up with some word-jitsu to keep it from being heavily abused, but 22.3 combo jobs would be fantastic flexibility for the company

can’t tell you how many PDS would love to stop using air drivers for 3-4 hours of shuttle work and use something contractually compliant instead
Wrong, center managers love having yes sir air drivers running around all day working for air rate delivering ground.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Hahahaahah you have been lied to.
They will drive all day every day. 12hrs a day. On the off chance they consistently dont have driving work you might work inside. You will be used as an on call driver with no consistent schedule

Hahahaahah you have been lied to.
They will drive all day every day. 12hrs a day. On the off chance they consistently dont have driving work you might work inside. You will be used as an on call driver with no consistent schedule
They won’t have start times. We have start times in my region.

dudebro

okay then let PT drivers be able to deliver ground work up to a 4hr paid day and if they crack that they get FT top pay for the whole day

Never set a limit like that. You'll just have people walked out for coding a 4.17 hour driver to carwash for 15 minutes. Remember when we had "over 4" and "under 4 drivers"? Amazing how many of them worked 3.97 hrs...

cachmeifucan

I'm sure later on the 22.4 people will vote to cut our pension in 20 years. So they can get raises and the part time employee won't be on same pay scale that also creates division. Just another way to divide us more vague language that will be manipulated by ups and our union will say hey relax we created more full-time jobs give us a while to figure this out .. we be getting our 8 and they will work 8 9 or 10 hours

I'm sure later on the 22.4 people will vote to cut our pension in 20 years. So they can get raises and the part time employee won't be on same pay scale that also creates division. Just another way to divide us more vague language that will be manipulated by ups and our union will say hey relax we created more full-time jobs give us a while to figure this out .. we be getting our 8 and they will work 8 9 or 10 hours
Can’t happen here and won’t.