Two Tier Driver....AKA Combo job

Do you approve UPS opening up more jobs by offer driver as a combo position?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vanakka512

I think your looking at this wrong they wont be drivers They will be combo, they will be pretty much 22.3 that can do relief on "overworked drivers"
The driver's don't want to work 70 hours and have a mandatory 6 day work week this will solve that problem also.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I think your looking at this wrong they wont be drivers They will be combo, they will be pretty much 22.3 that can do relief on "overworked drivers"
The driver's don't want to work 70 hours and have a mandatory 6 day work week this will solve that problem also.
naive-fake-dictionary-dictionary-definition-word-52176955.jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

As would hiring more full time drivers

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
No, I think you’re the one looking at this wrong.
Example: UPS turns around and makes every fulltime driving job into a (idiot to think it will be a good idea) 22.4 combo. When has a UPS idea turned out to be for the benifit of the employee? You’re obviously in Management or your head is far enough up one of their asses you might as well be. Nice try with the logo.
SMH!

wide load

I personally hope they do this. I would love to have to opportunity to become full time! 22.3 is fine also, its sad that Walmart pays more then UPS. You just chill at a register. Before you say healthcare, my local has 1 year wait period and most "Younger" employees don't care about healthcare they are healthy. What are your thoughts?
Btw, change your poll question because it’s inaccurate. It should say “Are you ready to throat some D when UPS changes every driving job to a 22.4 because you’re too stupid to recognize a horrible idea?”

Vanakka512

I'm glad to see we have a bunch of intellectuals in the union who don't know how to answer a question.
So the problems I listed were the drivers complaining right... ok keep up, part time wages... The Job will fix both problems. @burrheadd I would agree with you just hire more drivers, personally my hub has no more room for package cars, that would be the best outcome. The new hub they built near it doesn't even only does inbound/outbound. If this idea is wrong just tell me what you think; how would you fix all these problems. I could be naive but I would think the Teamsters are smart enough to add language to make sure what @wide load said doesn't happen.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm glad to see we have a bunch of intellectuals in the union who don't know how to answer a question.
So the problems I listed were the drivers complaining right... ok keep up, part time wages... The Job will fix both problems. @burrheadd I would agree with you just hire more drivers, personally my hub has no more room for package cars, that would be the best outcome. The new hub they built near it doesn't even only does inbound/outbound. If this idea is wrong just tell me what you think; how would you fix all these problems. I could be naive but I would think the Teamsters are smart enough to add language to make sure what @wide load said doesn't happen.

Yeah the Teamsters have done an awesome job so far

SMGDH!!!

wide load

They could if they kept it to Sunday’s only. Look at what they said about Saturday delivery. “Oh Saturday is gonna be the best delivery day. 8 hours and just your house stops.” That turned into a mix of business and house with the driver working of 6 routes and working 14 hours. Whatever UPS says, disregard and think of the worst and that’s still not bad enough. It’s unfortunate that employees are disgruntled, but we didn’t get here on our own.

Vanakka512

I gotcha, I wasn't here for the last contract negotiation. I don't know much, just at my hub it takes 20+ years to become combo. Just honestly trying to inquire other ideas, and what other Teamsters think about it.

wide load

I gotcha, I wasn't here for the last contract negotiation. I don't know much, just at my hub it takes 20+ years to become combo. Just honestly trying to inquire other ideas, and what other Teamsters think about it.
I’ve been her for just shy of my 25th year. I was here for the 97 strike. What I’ve learned is this, UPS wants you to focus your attention on something so they can prolapse your butt hole on something we aren’t focused on. They are corporate magicians. “Look over here, cuz we are gonna screw you over there.”

Tony Q

Btw, change your poll question because it’s inaccurate. It should say “Are you ready to throat some D when UPS changes every driving job to a 22.4 because you’re too stupid to recognize a horrible idea?”
This isn't accurate. The existing Package car jobs would be red circled under this proposal. So lets say there are 65,000 of them, they have to remain intact. Where the 22.4 jobs would come into play are separate. These would be combination jobs, Tuesday through Saturday and Sunday through Thursday. UPS is going to be a seven day delivery service eventually. The language has been there for quite a long time. These jobs could start at a variety of times. Here are a couple examples. You could start on the preload at 4 or 5 in the morning and then switch over to delivering some residential where the center is heavy. Here is another example. You start at 12 in the afternoon, delivering libs or bulk, then give some pickup relief for a guy/lady who has an 8 hour request or is going to be violated on there 9.5. Then give relief to the Twilight or reload operation. How about this one. You start at 5 Pm and you do the pickups that the majority of the members just don't want to do anymore, finishing up on the night sort. This counter proposal helps members with excessive overtime, 9.5, 8 hour requests, that crappy 70 hour junk, and I'm sure other issues down the road. Will USP bastardize it in some way, I'm sure, but we need to enforce the contract.

If this proposal makes it through, mark my words, Members will be trying to get out of package car jobs to get these. In a lot of places in the country a 22.3 job is a very sought after job.

Lets not lose sight of another factor in this equation. This could potentially turn into another 6 to 10 thousand full-time jobs that part-timers can use to make a better life. It will also decrease the membership a little, so the conspiracy theorist can run with this a little if they want.

cachmeifucan

I’ve been her for just shy of my 25th year. I was here for the 97 strike. What I’ve learned is this, UPS wants you to focus your attention on something so they can prolapse your butt hole on something we aren’t focused on. They are corporate magicians. “Look over here, cuz we are gonna screw you over there.”
Yea people thought strike was for wages and full-time jobs

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
This isn't accurate. The existing Package car jobs would be red circled under this proposal. So lets say there are 65,000 of them, they have to remain intact. Where the 22.4 jobs would come into play are separate. These would be combination jobs, Tuesday through Saturday and Sunday through Thursday. UPS is going to be a seven day delivery service eventually. The language has been there for quite a long time. These jobs could start at a variety of times. Here are a couple examples. You could start on the preload at 4 or 5 in the morning and then switch over to delivering some residential where the center is heavy. Here is another example. You start at 12 in the afternoon, delivering libs or bulk, then give some pickup relief for a guy/lady who has an 8 hour request or is going to be violated on there 9.5. Then give relief to the Twilight or reload operation. How about this one. You start at 5 Pm and you do the pickups that the majority of the members just don't want to do anymore, finishing up on the night sort. This counter proposal helps members with excessive overtime, 9.5, 8 hour requests, that crappy 70 hour junk, and I'm sure other issues down the road. Will USP bastardize it in some way, I'm sure, but we need to enforce the contract.

If this proposal makes it through, mark my words, Members will be trying to get out of package car jobs to get these. In a lot of places in the country a 22.3 job is a very sought after job.

Lets not lose sight of another factor in this equation. This could potentially turn into another 6 to 10 thousand full-time jobs that part-timers can use to make a better life. It will also decrease the membership a little, so the conspiracy theorist can run with this a little if they want.
Yes that is exactly what will happen.
Then you will wake up from your dream and realize you still work at ups.

Every one of these problems can be addressed by adding full time top rate drivers.

The only reason these problems exist is because of UPS IE and its poor decisions. Not the teamsters.
There is no chance ups will use hybrid drivers to reduce existing drivers workload. IE will not let them reduce stops per car.
If you want to address 8hr days. 9.5 list. 70hr week then you have to strengthen that language. Creating a second class driver will not address any of these problems. Ups will only use hybrid drivers to replace existing drivers at a lower pay rate at the same workload.

wide load

How do you know what the proposal is since there is all but limited information about it? I’m not saying you’re inaccurate, but there is no way in hell UPS is going follow the rules.

Tony Q

How do you know what the proposal is since there is all but limited information about it? I’m not saying you’re inaccurate, but there is no way in hell UPS is going follow the rules.
You can take me for what you think I'm worth. There are people who sit on these negotiating committees, right. Is it out of the realm that I could possibly know what is actually going on? Think about this. The world is not flat, it's actually round and Sean isn't the center of the universe. There are people that have been around as long as Sean or a lot longer, who this isn't their 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th rodeo. What I'm trying to make you understand is that all you hero's that you look up to aren't the end all. They feed off the Hoffa tit then go all rouge. You need to understand that there are a lot of flaws in this whole process, and the player are very flawed and hypocritical as well. Your guys is a hell of a union man, but the minute he made that deal with Fred was an error that will take a lifetime for a core group to forget about. Anyway, I'm rambling. You smell anything I'm cooking? Are you reading between the lines?

ROOKIE

Tony Q

Yes that is exactly what will happen.
Then you will wake up from your dream and realize you still work at ups.

Every one of these problems can be addressed by adding full time top rate drivers.

The only reason these problems exist is because of UPS IE and its poor decisions. Not the teamsters.
There is no chance ups will use hybrid drivers to reduce existing drivers workload. IE will not let them reduce stops per car.
If you want to address 8hr days. 9.5 list. 70hr week then you have to strengthen that language. Creating a second class driver will not address any of these problems. Ups will only use hybrid drivers to replace existing drivers at a lower pay rate at the same workload.
I understand and appreciate your perspectives, but you need to understand that a full scale service provider costs 60 dollars an hour and the next closest in the industry is in the 40's. You need to look deeper down the rabbit hole.

They could if they kept it to Sunday’s only. Look at what they said about Saturday delivery. “Oh Saturday is gonna be the best delivery day. 8 hours and just your house stops.” That turned into a mix of business and house with the driver working of 6 routes and working 14 hours. Whatever UPS says, disregard and think of the worst and that’s still not bad enough. It’s unfortunate that employees are disgruntled, but we didn’t get here on our own.
You could never be a cover driver for 30 years.

I understand and appreciate your perspectives, but you need to understand that a full scale service provider costs 60 dollars an hour and the next closest in the industry is in the 40's. You need to look deeper down the rabbit hole.
but don’t get bit by the snake