Two Tier Driver....AKA Combo job

Do you approve UPS opening up more jobs by offer driver as a combo position?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tony Q

I personally hope they do this. I would love to have to opportunity to become full time! 22.3 is fine also, its sad that Walmart pays more then UPS. You just chill at a register. Before you say healthcare, my local has 1 year wait period and most "Younger" employees don't care about healthcare they are healthy. What are your thoughts?
Are you talking about the proposed 22.4 jobs?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
yes i’m aware of the current setup i’m saying it sucks

the current setup doesn’t make sense

it’s just the teamsters and UPS trying to :censored2: each other

maybe if some of the proposals made business sense, you wouldn’t see as much :censored2:ery
But that takes trust and Teamster employees (and a lot of managerials) have lost the trust in UPS. To just think they will do the right thing is just naive.

Box Ox

maybe if some of the proposals made business sense, you wouldn’t see as much :censored2:ery

How would you draw the line for what makes "business sense"? At what point would UPS say "we're good, let's stop trying to exploit holes in the contract and our labor force?"

When profit per piece is high enough? When the Company is up to "x" millions/billions in quarterly/yearly profit? When the Company believes it can extract no more from its labor?

Not trying to be a smartass. Just think the Company will always push for however much it can squeeze out.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

How would you draw the line for what makes "business sense"? At what point would UPS say "we're good, let's stop trying to exploit holes in the contract and our labor force?"

When profit per piece is high enough? When the Company is up to "x" millions/billions in quarterly/yearly profit? When the Company believes it can extract no more from its labor?

Not trying to be a smartass. Just think the Company will always push for however much it can squeeze out.

No thinking about it! As long as investors are pouring money into this company it will always be that way! And we are all part of it with money in Wall Street!

Blackstream

I voted yes, but it's only on the condition that a FT inside+driver combo makes driver pay the entire shift. It could in theory get excessive overtime down by having people do driving in the later parts of the day to take what's left, and as long as they're getting paid driver pay for their inside shift too, it's not really exploitable by UPS to have people driving for cheaper (other than by reducing OT, which I think most people want anyways).

There's probably some issues with it I'm missing though.

F

Frankie's Friend

Hire more ft drivers and WORK THEM.. Problem solved.

F

Frankie's Friend

it is not 1997 dude
And in the last 21 yrs we've seen the company shake hands with the union, sign the agreement, and then try to find any way to get around the very cba they agreed to on day two.

Nothing's changed for the better in that Dept.

Thank God the negotiations are being recorded.

F

Frankie's Friend

I personally hope they do this. I would love to have to opportunity to become full time! 22.3 is fine also, its sad that Walmart pays more then UPS. You just chill at a register. Before you say healthcare, my local has 1 year wait period and most "Younger" employees don't care about healthcare they are healthy. What are your thoughts?

It would have to be fine tuned, but I could see the positives. With the "on-time network" changes around here. PM Air drivers are only getting 3 hours of work. Technically 3.5 with the guarantee. Used to be getting roughly 4.75-5.

A dead skunk smells good to a starving dog too.

Spicybrother

If regular package car drivers don’t won’t to work weekend who the hell is supposed to do it? “Combo drivers” is one solution. Most of the people I know with combo jobs didn’t want to go driving. They don’t want to work that hard. The company should want a strike if it’s going to be forced to pay regular driver pay to combo drivers. None of my buddies with combo jobs would ever work like package car drivers.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
If regular package car drivers don’t won’t to work weekend who the hell is supposed to do it? “Combo drivers” is one solution. Most of the people I know with combo jobs didn’t want to go driving. They don’t want to work that hard. The company should want a strike if it’s going to be forced to pay regular driver pay to combo drivers. None of my buddies with combo jobs would ever work like package car drivers.
You are either very narccisistic or live in the bog or both. These saturday drivers are crazy to put up with extended city routes and your 22.3s are going to outlast you despite all the heavy lifting.

A $15 wage will mean 1 hour of preload 8 hours+ of driving. I garuntee it.

Why do the same job for a whole lot less money.???

F

Frankie's Friend

If regular package car drivers don’t won’t to work weekend who the hell is supposed to do it?
There are no pkg car drivers working on Saturdays? Nice try.
Most of the people I know with combo jobs didn’t want to go driving. They don’t want to work that hard. None of my buddies with combo jobs would ever work like package car drivers.
None of your buddies have to. Wake up.
The company should want a strike if it’s going to be forced to pay regular driver pay to combo drivers.
The company wants a strike? Well then, they should've told us that months ago and we could be ready to oblige them shortly.

You management people should spend less time trying to sell this garbage in the union forum and more time getting our valued customers happy. While you're working on that get the irregs moved to the ups freight system so the customers dont change carrier companies when they get the additional $500 (soon to be $675) charge added to their bill.

john chesney

I think ups would abuse this like everything else in the contract. I’m worried about what will happen to full time drivers when part timers will be delivering. Full time driver going to come in and have 10 routes condensed into one? I think it’s bad news for full time drivers

It makes perfect sense. ORION is the only thing implemented in the last 30 years that makes no business sense.