Two Tier Driver....AKA Combo job

Do you approve UPS opening up more jobs by offer driver as a combo position?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

I think ups would abuse this like everything else in the contract. I’m worried about what will happen to full time drivers when part timers will be delivering. Full time driver going to come in and have 10 routes condensed into one? I think it’s bad news for full time drivers
Add language “no full time drivers are to be load off”

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Funny but I think you have it wrong at least in some instances. Personally I don't want to be treated like a POS and stuck on bad routes. I'd rather work 8 or 9 and have a set start/end time. Given the above it is a no brainer what the choice is. I dont miss the 12 13 hour beatdowns (like our centers today)
Also as a 22.3 I work as hard or harder than as a driver given an average amount of window time on a route. That is just my view but there are 22.3s with easier work too.
If regular package car drivers don’t won’t to work weekend who the hell is supposed to do it? “Combo drivers” is one solution. Most of the people I know with combo jobs didn’t want to go driving. They don’t want to work that hard. The company should want a strike if it’s going to be forced to pay regular driver pay to combo drivers. None of my buddies with combo jobs would ever work like package car drivers.

john chesney

Add language “no full time drivers are to be load off”
Do you mean laid off? I agree but what’s your bid route going to look like after the part timers deliver on the weekends? You going to have 150 business stops or your route with splits you never been before. I just think the full time drivers are going to be screwed. Not to mention how bad they’ll want to get rid of you

Do you mean laid off? I agree but what’s your bid route going to look like after the part timers deliver on the weekends? You going to have 150 business stops or your route with splits you never been before. I just think the full time drivers are going to be screwed. Not to mention how bad they’ll want to get rid of you
Pay them double time over 8 hours, so they don't abuse them.

The bid drivers that opted a Tuesday through Saturday route and or the cover drivers that bid Tuesday through Saturday. Hope this helps.
None of our bid drivers bid T- S. They are all unassigned cover drivers in their first or second year. None of our Saturday ground routes are bid just like Saturday Air routes.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
None of our bid drivers bid T- S. They are all unassigned cover drivers in their first or second year. None of our Saturday ground routes are bid just like Saturday Air routes.
We went through a rebid of every route. Sean required UPS to due to a change in schedule. Each of the 4 centers in my building runs about 15 routes per center. It ended up forcing UPS to hire a bunch of people.

F

Frankie's Friend

We went through a rebid of every route. Sean required UPS to due to a change in schedule. Each of the 4 centers in my building runs about 15 routes per center. It ended up forcing UPS to hire a bunch of people.
The local doesn't have the gahoonas to do that here.

F

Frankie's Friend

I voted yes, but it's only on the condition that a FT inside+driver combo makes driver pay the entire shift. It could in theory get excessive overtime down by having people do driving in the later parts of the day to take what's left, and as long as they're getting paid driver pay for their inside shift too, it's not really exploitable by UPS to have people driving for cheaper (other than by reducing OT, which I think most people want anyways).

There's probably some issues with it I'm missing though.
Here, if we work over 4 hrs in a higher paid wage job we get the higher wage for the whole day.
Keep that the same, dont exclude the supposed 22-4 (garbage) jobs and may be problem solved because you know they'll often go over 4 hrs daily in package work.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Correction
Each of the 4 centers runs 15 routes on a Saturday. During the week we range in the upper 50’s

Daf

yes

i think the Teamsters should come up with some word-jitsu to keep it from being heavily abused, but 22.3 combo jobs would be fantastic flexibility for the company

can’t tell you how many PDS would love to stop using air drivers for 3-4 hours of shuttle work and use something contractually compliant instead
I wouldn’t have a problem if this is what would actually happen.
What WILL happen is these “combo” drivers will drive ALL day due to understaffing the actual driver positions. There will never be “enough work” for actually hanging bids for drivers ever again. You will abuse this position to have lower paid labor. This already happens with air drivers. Our air drivers get more hours than our actual drivers. They work preload, then drive all day at top rate. But yet there is never enough work for more bids.

RuthlessSupSlayer

No absolutely not. The shuttle/leftovers are where the easy days are and lets some veteran drivers get some work but not a whole if they choose to code 05. Also gives UPS more incentive to make more of these and limit full time positions and lay off more full just to offer a lower paying job for the same work.

No tiers same work same pay end of story.