Two UPSers Lose Their Lives At Ontario Air Hub

This is my hub area and shift, maintenance worker who witnessed it told OSHA he saw the driver messing around with a rental tug. These rental tugs usually don't have a speed governor so they exceed the 15mph top speed limit we are supposed to go in certain areas. OSHA reports usually take a year or so will be interesting to see what they write after viewing the camera feeds.

No one asked you, you’re not the OP.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Because when they are operated properly there is no need for one.
Fork lifts have roll cages fyi as do other motorized equipment that can roll over. Obviously this tug can roll or flip over in case you didnt notice nutcase.

Also fyi, being ignorant isn't as obvious if you keep your mouth shut... in case your mom or dad hasn't told you that when you were growing up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fork lifts have roll cages fyi as do other motorized equipment that can roll over.

Also fyi, being ignorant isn't as obvious if you keep your mouth shut... in case your mom or dad hasn't told you that when you were growing up.

Forklifts have roll cages to prevent pallets stacked on shelves from falling on them; unfortunately, as with most safety measures, these were added after workers had been crushed by falling boxes.

99.99% of the folks who drive tugs on tarmac are able to do so without flipping over.

These 2 yahoos are (were) the .01%.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Forklifts have roll cages to prevent pallets stacked on shelves from falling on them; unfortunately, as with most safety measures, these were added after workers had been crushed by falling boxes.

99.99% of the folks who drive tugs on tarmac are able to do so without flipping over.

These 2 yahoos are (were) the .01%.
You have no percentages to back up your vague assertions and why doesnt the crown electric pallet stackers have roll cages on all of their units einstein?
You need to post after you get some brain cells.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Which part of "these two yahoos are dead because they were stupid" are you having difficulty with?
Here, I tagged your post like a man. The issue I posted about was a rollover cage to protect occupants no matter what the issue is ding bat.
Screenshot_20191201-063304_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191201-063323_Chrome.jpg

The guy hit a curb and rolled over.
Please educate yourself before you spew stupidity.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Which part of "these two yahoos are dead because they were stupid" are you having difficulty with?
Roll cages are like air bags in purpose. In case someone does something stupid the bags and roll cages are for protecting the occupants.

When you walked out in front of that car were you the stupid one or was it the driver? If you wouldve been killed the company wouldve said that you weren't aware of your surroundings when you walked in front of the car.

Just like climbing on a bumper at a gas station to your wash windows is stupidity and it is against ups rules but you did it anyway knowing the risk.

Roll cages and air bags arent there to dictate safety. They are there to save lives when something happens, whether from horseplay or from an oversight that causes accidents.

You're a loud mouth with a little man syndrome regardless of your stature. No one missed your goading posting when you left so you could improve the site again if history would repeat itself.

cachmeifucan

So sad rest in peace. Picture is definitely poor taste I definitely didn't want to see that. We supposed to be brothers. This whole post should be removed I'm all for free speech but what kind of person pulls out a phone and takes a picture in a time like that. That person should be fired.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
So sad rest in peace. Picture is definitely poor taste I definitely didn't want to see that. We supposed to be brothers. This whole post should be removed I'm all for free speech but what kind of person pulls out a phone and takes a picture in a time like that. That person should be fired.
Cheryl already posted it in the Latest Headlines forum.
Unfortunately, a picture is worth 1000 safety pcms.

Our ors suck at watching the behavior of new drivers on the road. I saw one driver tailgating an older driver (10 feet behind her car) at about 35 mph. The guy just had an avoidable accident recently so you'd think he would be more cautious but, no, back to the same behavior and the lesser seniority drivers are just as bad if not worse.
It's the company's money. They can shell it out in court or with ors observation hours and I'm sure osha is digging on their tug training info.

quad decade guy

I registered here just to post to this thread.

I had the dubious privilege of seeing this scene firsthand, before EMS and police arrived. There was nothing we could do to help. The large semi-circular skid mark made it obvious what happened. This was clearly a case of horseplay gone bad. This is why UPS has such strict driving rules. When employees routinely ignore them, this what happens.

Working in aircraft maintenance, the driving habits of ramp personnel is a constant complaint of ours. From speeding, to cutting across traffic lanes, to driving through or parking dollies in ramp locations where an aircraft is being repaired. Several months ago I witnessed a ramp van cut off an Airbus taxiing in to parking. The pilot locked up all eight brakes and smoked the tires to avoid smashing the van flat with 300,000 lbs of airplane. That could have been ugly. I guess there hasn’t been enough incentive to work safely, but I have the feeling the loss of two young lives will change that. It’s unfortunate, but sometimes tragedy is the only motivator that works.

RIP to the deceased and condolences to their families. Everyone here have a safe and happy Thanksgiving and work safely during peak.

I am a private pilot and an A&P but drive a feeder. I agree with all you said but would add this: why

does it take 2 fatalities? This is bizarre to me. Like our feeder hubs, nobody is watching. I'm sure

there could be several observers on the ramp to just observe and correct this type of behavior.

We both know this will never happen. 100% preventable/avoidable. So when the lawsuits fly,

this behavior was an ongoing, constant occurrence and was not addressed? To an outside observer,

how would this look? Who is responsible for allowing this to continue? There is ultimately someone.

PT Car Washer

I am a private pilot and an A&P but drive a feeder. I agree with all you said but would add this: why

does it take 2 fatalities? This is bizarre to me. Like our feeder hubs, nobody is watching. I'm sure

there could be several observers on the ramp to just observe and correct this type of behavior.

We both know this will never happen. 100% preventable/avoidable. So when the lawsuits fly,

this behavior was an ongoing, constant occurrence and was not addressed? To an outside observer,

how would this look? Who is responsible for allowing this to continue? There is ultimately someone.
UPS will push that it was employee misconduct along with the probability of drugs and or alcohol. Family will be lucky if UPS does not go after their estate for damaged property and missed service.

Package Stick

"Send it."
So can anyone who has ever driven one of these tugs tell me if they are really capable of doing a wheelie or is that just hearsay?
I can flip our tugs if I wanted. I took a sharp turn and the tug went up on 2 wheels, the rentals are FAST. So are the PE tugs.