Union matters....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Larger area, more deliveries, more pickups, more hours. I'm failing to see where you're disproving the point about it becoming less skillful. I've only been a FT driver for 17 years, but with EDD and PAL labels, it's become less skillful.

Want to prove my point, turn off EDD one day and you'll see what drivers started before and after EDD by the looks on their faces.
Those things would perhaps make the job "less skillful" if they were ever executed properly.
Instead, the Company instantly expects more in return, bastardizing the whole concept.
All I ever see is them trying to do is stuff 6 lbs of crap into a 5 lb sack, while complaining when they get some on their shoes.

In the wake of these so-called enhancements, that supposedly make the job "less skillful", there have been many new service levels and requirements like OCA, SADAR accounts, inside delivery, smart pickups, My Choice delivery options, etc.....

......ORION, which in many cases completely negates the PAS and EDD advantages....

.....all the while with our loads becoming inundated with irregs and bulk, while the smalls go to the Post Office.

I have been with the Company for 31 years and driving for 24, and in my opinion, it's been a push at best and a downward spiral of late.
Along with driving a large straight truck safely in an ever shrinking world, our biggest "skill sets" required to do this job are still patience, organization, and fortitude, none of which has been significantly removed by these so-called enhancements.

If any of these technologies were introduced while keeping the workload the same, you may have had a valid point, but that isn't how it goes.

I think you need to give us and yourself more credit.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You realize we make less then they did in the early 80s?? Using an inflation calculator we should be at almost $48 an hour top rate to match the $17 an hour top rate they had back then.

Stick to car parts, not math. Depending on what year you are talking about in the early 80's, it was around $13

You're math may be a bit off.

His math is correct, but his early 80's wage is way off.

Couple senior guys in my center told me that's what they made then.. maybe they're mistaken?? Old age?

Fake news.

Yeah in 74 pay was 4 something an hour. I doubt it was 17 in the 80s

It wasn't. Didn't hit $17 until 1990.

I think it was about $16 in 89/90

Close. $16.14. That calculates to $32.34 in today's dollars.

We are outpacing inflation with our wages.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It's going to vary, depending on your location.

8/1/90

$16.64 - $17.19.... for full-time pkg, or feeder driver pulling doubles.

-Bug-

I was referring to base pay, 8/89, but you are correct. It could vary slightly depending on location and feeder equipment.

The point was, that we didn't get to $17/hr until 89/90.

@AutoZone was saying that our wages didn't even keep up with inflation, that we were at $17/hr in the early 80's.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
You realize we make less then they did in the early 80s?? Using an inflation calculator we should be at almost $48 an hour top rate to match the $17 an hour top rate they had back then. Another loss we take cause no one fights!!

The average healthcare increase per year was 8%-12% and pensions went up about 5% per year since the early 80's. Receiving about a 2%-4% raise per year in addition to that. If you want to do just wage, then you are not incorporating the whole picture.

A wage rate of $48 an hour puts the company out of business. They have a lot of money and we do the work but you also have to have a place to go to everyday in order to make that money.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Not to mention, no contribution to healthcare by employees is almost UNHEARD OF anywhere. I'm sure a larger wage increase could be negotiated with employee contribution to healthcare. But it ain't going to happen.
1.7 billion profit

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

How many on here support your union?
Go to union meetings?
File the grievances that help you out?
Read the contract?
This is the best way to make sure we are union strong, proud, safe!!!!!
There is no union without you!!!!!!!!
America works best when we say union yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After 5 days of 12hours I'm not going to any union hall instead of being home with family....ever