Union matters....

AutoZone

BrownPower
I thought we were strong! I thought we stuck together? I thought we fought for what was right!!

Seems as tho everyone just laughs and makes fun of and puts everyone down on this site...

I'm reading so many posts between here and other social media outlets about how the union doesn't do anything for its members... so I ask, what's the point?? They work for us right? Our dues pay them? Correct? So why does everyone laugh it off whenever there's a union issue as if it'll never be heard?? Ex: "Oh you have a backpay issue? Hahahaha good luck with that!! Hahahaha!" seems to be the common response.. I mean does everyone feel this way? Is everyone's locals so weak that it's just become common place now that it's basically a joke to everyone?

Would love to hear your thoughts, and stories of issues that have gone unheard.. STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Employees will put up with a lot of negatives for $35/hr and 7 paid weeks of vacation a year.
You realize we make less then they did in the early 80s?? Using an inflation calculator we should be at almost $48 an hour top rate to match the $17 an hour top rate they had back then. Another loss we take cause no one fights!!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You realize we make less then they did in the early 80s?? Using an inflation calculator we should be at almost $48 an hour top rate to match the $17 an hour top rate they had back then. Another loss we take cause no one fights!!
And you also realize that the skill involved to do the job has been reduced? Right now it's about how much :censored2: you can put up with from working long hours to back breaking labor. I guess we should thank the new generation who care less about what the job pays, more about how it will cramp their social life and coming home smelling like a gym sock in summertime at 9:30 M-friend. They can't get guys to come in and do this crap for what they pay now.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
What??? You think working longer hours even out pay?? If the pay was up, guys wouldn't want to be working longer hours. Lots of guys work them cause the pay has subsided.
I think what he was trying to say is the job has become simpler, but hours have become longer. Or maybe I'm wrong /shrug

Cementups

Box Monkey

You're math may be a bit off. I made top rate in 1998 and was making $19.76. So the 80's were no way $17/hr.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Y
And you also realize that the skill involved to do the job has been reduced? Right now it's about how much :censored2: you can put up with from working long hours to back breaking labor. I guess we should thank the new generation who care less about what the job pays, more about how it will cramp their social life and coming home smelling like a gym sock in summertime at 9:30 M-friend. They can't get guys to come in and do this crap for what they pay now.
you think the job has become less skilled?? I think it has become more skilled.. we run larger areas faster then it's ever been done..

I'm fairly new to driving but from the older guys I've heard years ago, they had a route.. and it was their route. Day in and day out. No variation to the areas. Now everyday you go in, you don't know where the dispatcher planned you..

Also theirs more cars on the road.. more businesses.. more pick ups. More restrictions.. more telematics tracking... I mean I think there is so much more on us these days then 70 stops on paper in a known area. Am I wrong?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Y

you think the job has become less skilled?? I think it has become more skilled.. we run larger areas faster then it's ever been done..

I'm fairly new to driving but from the older guys I've heard years ago, they had a route.. and it was their route. Day in and day out. No variation to the areas. Now everyday you go in, you don't know where the dispatcher planned you..

Also theirs more cars on the road.. more businesses.. more pick ups. More restrictions.. more telematics tracking... I mean I think there is so much more on us these days then 70 stops on paper in a known area. Am I wrong?
Larger area, more deliveries, more pickups, more hours. I'm failing to see where you're disproving the point about it becoming less skillful. I've only been a FT driver for 17 years, but with EDD and PAL labels, it's become less skillful.

Want to prove my point, turn off EDD one day and you'll see what drivers started before and after EDD by the looks on their faces.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We make two bucks an hour more than my brother that works at a GM Plant as a UAW member. The FedEx Home Delivery guys on my area make $10 an hour with no benefits. Sure, no doubt we work harder. Figure out the math and tell me how we can make more money and stay in business.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Hey Einstein, most of that "$48" top pay you expected went to keeping the healthcare prices in check.
You can put your calculator back in your dad's desk drawer. No conspiracy.